| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kidney Failure and Rescue Group Responsibilities
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So we adopted Bogey around the middle of August, and last week we found out he has moderate to severe kidney failure. We took him to the vet because he just pees A LOT, which we thought was due to the enlarged prostate, but as it turns out, his levels of BUN and creatinine are very high and the ultrasound showed scar tissue on his kidneys. The vet thinks he is much older than the 6 or 7 years the rescue group told us.

Anyway, he is now my dog and I love him with all my heart and I will do whatever it takes to slow down the progression of the kidney failure, but everyone keeps telling me I should complain with the rescue group we got him from, since they misrepresented his health status. I don't know that they really did, at least not knowingly...I mean, he was a stray! There is no way to determine his age. Also, do rescue groups normally do such extensive vet screenings to check for things like these? I don't know what I would have done if I had known before adopting him. I wouldn't have known him well enough I guess, and I would have been able not to take him home, but still, I feel I did the right thing by giving him a home. And if it turns out he has only months left to live, then so be it.

Do you think I should complain with the rescue group? Tell them to be more careful? What do I do?

Post subject: Re: Kidney Failure and Rescue Group Responsibilities
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 pm 
Semen Strong

I would tell them what happened and see what they come back with. I think rescues run the gamut - from the very responsible to those who are so eager to place an animal that they'll often skirt the truth or skimp on home and vet checks etc. And a lot depends on the provenance of the dog - I wouldn't expect a rescue to know that kind of information for a dog rescued from a shelter, but would expect them to know the proper age for a dog rescued from a home. I would also ask to see if they know of any discounted care etc that you could get.

My mother in law was 75 (and couldn't walk without a cane) when a rescue placed a young GSD with her. The dog had anxiety issues and had chewed off it's own tail, would run in circles for hours chasing it's now non-existent tail, and had a history of biting people. He was a year old when she took him in and she spent $10,000 trying to "fix" his issues with medication, behaviorists and vets. He bit everyone in the family and several contractors, and the vets finally got him an MRI and concluded that he had organic brain disease and that the kindest thing to do was to put him to sleep. I think it was SO irresponsible to put a young GSD with issues with an infirm 75 year old woman, and urged her to talk to them to see about getting some help with all the fees (rescue groups can often get discounted rates with local vets), but she loved her dog and didn't want to. She ended up adopting a second GSD after Chevy was PTS who was 7 years old and had been the pet of an elderly couple who had fed her a steady diet of ice-cream and cookies and not been able to walk her. My MIL was charged with helping her lose weight and get healthy, but the poor doggy ended up dying of pancreatitis just a few months after my MIL got her. Finally my MIL agreed to no longer go with that particular rescue, and then adopted her pitbull, whom she adores and has never had an issue with.

Another friend of mine got a bichon pup from a puppy mill rescue and it ended up having Parvo, so she spent a ton of money and energy getting him healthy. She gave the rescue a heads up, in case the other pups in the litter needed to be treated, and they offered her another dog, but she was too in love with Boo.

I do think it's really hard to know exactly what the health status is of a dog, esp from a shelter, so I wouldn't start off from a position of assuming that they failed to disclose something, but I would mention it, because there may be ways that they can help.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Kidney failure is pretty insidious as it often has no or very minimal symptoms in the early stages. It doesn't seem like a good use of resources to expect rescue groups to do kidney function testing on all their dogs (including dogs of uncertain age with no signs of disease). It's certainly possible the peeing more than usual had begun while the dog was under the rescue's care, but there are many potential reasons they might not have noticed.

You could let the rescue group know that this health issue came up and maybe they would reconsider their policies or give that feedback to their vet, but from the information you've given it doesn't sound like they intentionally misrepresented anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thank you both for your input. I harbor no ill will whatsoever towards the rescue group, even though everyone else seems to be outraged on my behalf. He's a living creature who needed a safe, comfortable home, whether he's healthy or sick. But I will let them know. They do care about the animals they rescue, and they do have them checked out before letting them be adopted.