| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal Shelter Supply Drive!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have been feeling very lonely and disconnected lately and want to do something worthwhile with my spare time so here i go! The giving season is coming up and I'm going to try to take advantage of it! I just moved across the country to a new state this year and am not too affilitated with the animal shelter here but nevertheless I want to put on a whole drive thingy for it. I would appreciate ideas and suggestions!

So far all I got it this-
Find some places of businesses that will allow me to put a donation box in their store. My work has agreed so that's good!

Make a cute poster/flyer with a cute slogan focusing on the holiday season-need help with a slogan!! My friend agreed to do the artwork, but he is a procrastinator so maybe a cute picture would work if that doesn't happen?

Maybe ask a school or something if they want to get invoved? Do schools do that? I don't think it would be too much to ask to just have a donation box there.. I don't know how that works, if anyones works in a school and is privvy to how that shiitake works i'd love to know before i call the principal and make a fool out of myself!!

Post subject: Re: Animal Shelter Supply Drive!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

First thing's first, talk to your local shelter that you'll be collecting for and let them know about your intentions. They may have their own drives planned and they may be happy for the help, or if you do it on your own and someone alerts them they may assume there's some fraud afoot. Plus, asking to put donation boxes at businesses if you're not affiliated with the rescue may look sketchy. Plus they'll probably have particular graphics that they'll want used on printed items.

Then you can ask the shelter what they need most. I would normally recommend a drive also collecting towels and blankets, but maybe they've got tons of linens but no toys, or they're running low on leashes, or maybe they need food more than anything. Money is great but sometimes asking for specific items is good too. I think a toy/food drive is a cute idea for the holiday season, also.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Yeah I'm the only places I'm planning on really putting things so far is my work and my friend owns a gym where she teaches gymnastics so I thought the kids there might like to help. I was thinking more about the school thing and that's too weird for me. I'm going to just ask my friends with hip workplaces/establishments lol.
I wasn't planning on accepting money, i meant a box for actual items like you mentioned. And def listing the items they needed most on the flyer on the boxes. I know my shelter back home got a huge semi truck full of blankets one day and didn't need them for a while! Wouldn't want to waste anyone's time on unnecessary stuffs.
I'm gonna go down there this weekend. I've been putting it off because I didn't want to just walk in there without having real ideas of how i wanted to help. But now that I know I have at least a couple people that will help me gather items I don't see why we couldn't. The toy thing is an awesome idea! I didn't think about asking for anything other than the usual nessecities! How cute!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:44 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Yeah I'm the only places I'm planning on really putting things so far is my work and my friend owns a gym where she teaches gymnastics so I thought the kids there might like to help. I was thinking more about the school thing and that's too weird for me. I'm going to just ask my friends with hip workplaces/establishments lol.
I wasn't planning on accepting money, i meant a box for actual items like you mentioned. And def listing the items they needed most on the flyer on the boxes. I know my shelter back home got a huge semi truck full of blankets one day and didn't need them for a while! Wouldn't want to waste anyone's time on unnecessary stuffs.
I'm gonna go down there this weekend. I've been putting it off because I didn't want to just walk in there without having real ideas of how i wanted to help. But now that I know I have at least a couple people that will help me gather items I don't see why we couldn't. The toy thing is an awesome idea! I didn't think about asking for anything other than the usual nessecities! How cute!