| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things you should know before adopting a cat (first-timer)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

I currently don't have any pets but I'm financially stable to take care of one.

Thinking this through I get hung up on:
1. I know very little about what it takes to properly take care of a cat (always been a dog owner)
2. I live in an apt. (I think a cat would be better suited to living in an apt.)
3. I travel a lot (Roughly, I'm out of town about 2.5 months of the year for work and fun.)

Thoughts?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Things you should know before adopting a cat (first-time
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Some cats are lap cats and some aren't and there's not much you can do about it! So don't push a non-lap cat to be other than their nature. And don't get your feelings hurt. I have 4 cats and my fluffiest cuddliest-looking cat will have none of that. I try not to hold it against her.

At least one litterbox per cat is normal, though I don't have that many.

Two cats are better than one, they keep each other occupied while you're gone.

Adult cats are an awesome option. I developed close, wonderful relationships with the two cats I adopted as seniors.

Boy cats can get crystals in their pee, blocking them. Keep an eye on the litterbox and if your kitty stops sitting normal (i.e. they "sit" but with their butt off the ground) or peeing where they shouldn't, they have to go to a vet immediately. I almost lost a kitty to this.

Cat nip is fun for the owner as much as the cat.

Sisal scratching posts are a furniture saver! Cardboard ones work great too. Get several.

I don't think travel is a big deal. We found a great pet sitter and have left the cats for up to 3 weeks at a time. This is another reason to get more than one.

Consider pet health insurance. I don't do it, but I have thought about it.

I'll think of more!

Last edited by Invictus on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Do you have a plan for who would take care of your cat when you're gone?

Some cats are totally fine if someone comes by to feed them sometimes. My cat is super social and gets cranky and destructive if she's left alone for that long. Fortunately I've always lived with roommates who were willing to take care of her, but if I didn't I think I would have to get someone to spend a pretty significant amount of time with her, which might be difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Bare minimum cat requirements:

Neuter
Chip
Rabies shots
Annual check up
Litterbox and litter (lots of personal preference to this)
Food and water and bowls
Something to scratch
A window to look out of
Some love

Easy-peasy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

if you get an older cat or have a fat clutzy one, get a kitty condo or a chair or something to help them get in windows-this will save your curtains.
I wish we would have adopted two that are used to each other at the same time, a lot of shelters have littermates that they don't want to separate. That way you won't have to deal with the whole introduction thing when you realize two are better than one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Cats are very funny creatures and you cannot change their nature, nor should you try (it's futile). I recommend cat furniture as cats tend to see their world vertically and like to be able to sit at different heights and look down at their surroundings. Most of them really prefer to have a feline friend, they are not the solitary creatures some people would make them out to be. It is a good idea to always have one litterbox per cat +1 extra, so 2 boxes for a single cat, 3 for a pair of cats, 4 boxes for a trio, etc. The reason for this is some cats do not like to urinate and defecate in the same place and if they are not happy with their litterbox selection they'll just get creative and go wherever they want to. I always tell people that living with a cat is like living with your bad old college roommates. They think everything is theirs, and then they break it. You'll find vomit (regurgitated food from eating too fast and hairballs) around the house occasionally, and they can make a racket all night long and then sleep all day. They are also fairly good at training their humans and they do this in a variety of ways such as sleep deprivation and personal item destruction. Dogs want to please their owners, cats really just don't care what you think. I read a behavioral study written by a vet once and had to laugh as they identified narcissism as the emotion cats feel the strongest.

They can be very affectionate and are pretty hilarious though as long as you are not a control freak. I always love it when one of my cats gives me an affectionate head bump, when a sign of love comes from a cat, they really mean it. They don't just dish that stuff out to anybody.

As a side note if you end up with a kitty that is naughty with its claws despite have lots of cat furniture and cardboard scratching pads, you can check into a product called Soft Paws. I've had to use them in the past and they worked pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 am 
<3

I'd certainly consider a cat at least a couple of years old. Especially if you plan to be away for a couple days at a time. Could you find a reliable pet care company that can come in feed, check on and clean the litter box if you will be away more than a couple of days? I think different cats would handle being left alone differently and there is no way of knowing ahead how they would react.

I'm a cat person and honestly if I knew six weeks ago what I know now, I may have just got a cat a few years old vs the kittens I did get. Things are settling down. Part of my worry is the downstairs neighbors, though there have been no complaints. But people scare me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:39 am 
<3

I'd certainly consider a cat at least a couple of years old. Especially if you plan to be away for a couple days at a time. Could you find a reliable pet care company that can come in feed, check on and clean the litter box if you will be away more than a couple of days? I think different cats would handle being left alone differently and there is no way of knowing ahead how they would react.

I'm a cat person and honestly if I knew six weeks ago what I know now, I may have just got a cat a few years old vs the kittens I did get. Things are settling down. Part of my worry is the downstairs neighbors, though there have been no complaints. But people scare me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:32 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'd definitely consider two cats if they'll be left alone a lot. They'll keep each other company and likely be less destructive (though there's no guarantee).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 am 
WRETCHED

I totally agree with 2 cats. They keep each other entertained and if you go to the shelter or a rescue, there are many already bonded duos.

I'd also highly recommend a cat sitter versus a kennel. Cats really don't do that well with kennels. My cats are fine when I take them to my inlaws but if I didn't have that option, I'd get someone to come feed them and clean their litterbox.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:47 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

They are going to puke up hairballs on all of your stuff. Brushing helps.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57 am 
Semen Strong

Amazing advice here!

Special +1 Yummies to a bonded pair of older indoor only neutered/spayed cats, with a catsitter when you leave. when Veto was a kitten we had a live-in cat sitter because he would do so many crazy things (our cat sitter once managed to save him from hanging himself in our blinds). But now he and Carlito are older visiting 1x a day to put out food and scoop is perfect and much cheaper.

And please chip even if they are indoor only, bc it might be the difference between getting your cat back or not if he/she runs off through an open door.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:10 am 

For what it's worth, i've never had cat sitters. When Brian was deployed and I would come up here for two weeks at a time, I would have someone go over to check the water and food dispensers and clean the litter a few times, but my cats aren't super needy, and they tend to just hide from strangers anyway. It really depends on the cats.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 am 
WRETCHED

mrsbadmouth wrote:
For what it's worth, i've never had cat sitters. When Brian was deployed and I would come up here for two weeks at a time, I would have someone go over to check the water and food dispensers and clean the litter a few times, but my cats aren't super needy, and they tend to just hide from strangers anyway. It really depends on the cats.

I think I mean cat sitter in the most generic term which can mean anything from what you describe to actually staying in the house. I wouldn't have someone stay in my house but I would want someone to go check on them and take care of the basics - food, water, litter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 pm 

I guess I should've added that if I was only going away for the weekend, I never asked anyone to look in on them because they have food and water dispensers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

mrsbadmouth wrote:

but is it avoidable? can you tell when they're about to puke or does it just happen?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 pm 
WRETCHED

Which reminds me of something funny, one of my eager eater kitties figured out how to jimmy the cat feeder to get kibble. She would sit there and jiggle the mechanism with her paw until a kibble fell. Kind of like putting your hand in a vending machine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 pm 
WRETCHED

SweetT wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

but is it avoidable? can you tell when they're about to puke or does it just happen?

One of my cats (short hair) never gets fur balls, the other medium hair cat gets them sometimes. A weekly brushing with a fulminator basically fixed that issue though. Prior to that, she'd get a fur ball every couple of months.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:30 pm 
Semen Strong

SweetT wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

You can tell when they're about to yack.

I haven't had any issues since we started using the Furminator and giving them petromalt. No furballs at alls and one of ours is megafurry

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:34 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

My two are both short hairs and have never had hair balls (cross my fingers). But one of them occasionally scarfs down his food too quickly and then barfs it up. Mostly he's nice and does it on the hard floors. But he makes up for it by peeing on my bed occasionally.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:39 am 
<3

SweetT wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

No you don't usually know. Of coarse a long haired cat may yack them up more than a short haired cat. And if your cat does not like hairball medicine, be prepared to find ways to get them to take it. And yes, brush brush brush. Especially in the summer.

Also consider, even good kitties can be destructive. They may scratch your couch, mattress. I bought the only good couch I have ever owned about 2 years ago. It is now covered. It may still be doomed to the claws.

Edit what I said about not always knowing the cats. Adoption centers shelters and groups that foster may have good background on the personality of the cat. Some cats are very good alone if you are only looking for one cat. Some just plain want to be the only cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 am 
Inflexitarian

i stayed in a home with a cat a few months ago and during the day he was awesome. he mostly went about his day sitting at the window with an occasional jump on my lap to investigate what i was up to or eating. although during the night he turned into a needy crasshole. he would try to lay on face while sleeping, jump on the pillow and generally try to do anything to keep me from sleeping. of course once i was up, he then decided it was time for him to sleep.
he's handsome and a charmer so the cuteness during the day rivaled the night (but then again I only stayed for 5 days).

So would he be consider a lap cat or non lap cat?

Pics!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am 
Inflexitarian

admittedly, i'm too lazy to resize. sorry

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:40 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

my apt is small, so I don't think the size of your place matters much. I got 2 cats after my last one died. They have a love hate relationship, but really keep each other company. Basically, they don't need me for much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:33 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Personally, I've never done the "one litter box per cat plus one" thing. I have two cats, they've had one box since they were kittens. They're now 13. When they were 4, we move out of our small one story house into a larger two story house when my parents got married. So we added a second box. One in the upstairs master bath, one in the downstairs bathroom. Both were kept clean, and easily accessible to them. They only ever used the one downstairs. After a few years (of literally only having to clean the upstairs box a handful of times), we went back to one box. It's a very large box, and I scoop atleast twice a day, generally more, so they're never having to go in the same place. If you aren't able to scoop atleast twice a day, or you notice your cat only uses the litter box when it's perfectly clean and waits till you clean it again to go, then add another. But one probably will be fine for one cat, maybe even two if you keep them very clean.

Another thing I strongly, strongly suggest if you decide to adopt cats is feeding them a grain free, low carb wet diet. So many health issues (diabetes, obesity, stones/crystals, ect.) can be avoided by feeding a canned diet. If you're willing, raw would be even better. One of my cats is diabetic, though no longer insulin controlled, and I still feel so guilty that it could have been prevented with a low carb, canned diet (Wellness makes grain free canned formulas that aren't too pricy). If you are going to feed dry, make sure it's grain free and as low carbs as you can. Orijen and Acana are pretty much the highest quality dry foods out there. They're a bit spendy when you look at the price per pound compared to something like Purina, but you're not feeding them as much because it's so nutrient dense, so the price evens out mostly. Oh, and they use human grade ingrediants and don't do captive feeding trials like many pet food companies do. A water fountain (Pioneer Pet and Drinkwell are a few brands) to help encourage your cat(s) to drink more will also be needed if you feed dry, since cats are descended from desert animals and will drink very little water on their own (hense why wet is best for cats and why stones/crystals are common with cats fed dry).

Aside from that, make sure your cat(s) have interactive toys around your apartment for while you're gone (catnip "mice", jingly balls, Catit toys--look on Amazon for them, scratch lounge--again Amazon, Wooba's for Cats, and catnip pillows are some of my cat's favorties) to keep them entertained, and feather wands/some type of toys to play with them when you're home, and you'll be set.

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next