| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

How do you deal with pet-related expenses?
I have a separate savings account and/or insurance 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
I have a budgeted amount per month 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
I have a rough idea of monthly expenses, but no savings 42%  42%  [ 33 ]
I don't have a budget/savings for my pets at all 41%  41%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 79
 Post subject: Re: Pets and Finances
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:07 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I should know better but I don't have pet insurance either and it came back to bite me big time in August when my cat was diagnosed with cancer and needs major surgery.

It also still bites me with trips the oncologist, medicine and tests (he will need another ultra sound in about two weeks.

I have one of those CareCredit cards which is really not the best way to handle things like this but at the time I had few other options other than my own VISA card.

In terms of monthly expenses- (food, litter etc) I just work these in as any other expense in my own monthly budget.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I rolled the cost of food and litter for my 2 cats into my grocery costs. I think their share is ~$30/month. I also have some money automatically transfer to an accounts called "cats" each month (I have a lot of ING savings accounts). I know I have to do shots each year and one of my cats will need his teeth cleaned at some point, so it is easier to put aside some each month. Only like $10/paycheck so $20/mo... it adds up though and helps offset!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:58 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Normal pet expenses just come out of my paycheck as they come up (shots, food, pet sitting). I am fortunate that my job pays well enough to accommodate that, as their specialty foods are expensive.

We have a general savings account for emergencies, and pet emergencies come out of that.

There are five of them right now, so it adds up.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Puma wrote:
I charge it all and try not to think about it.

This is how I deal with major expenses. The hay, pellets, and toys I just buy as needed out of pocket, I probably spend $15-20 a month.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:55 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We're fortunate enough to be able to pay for most stuff (2 cats, 1 dog) out of pocket - the yearly check up, heartworm pills, food, toys, etc. The cats cost pretty much only food anyway because we don't take them to the vet on a regular basis as they're indoor kitties and under 10 years old. Emergencies that are more than $1000 go on credit and get paid off asap. We don't have a savings account for the animals or pet insurance. If there was ever any reason that we couldn't cover a huge bill my mom would be willing to help out too I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm 

For our dog Merlin, my partner and I have a rough idea on how much we spend for living costs (food, bath, routine medical, toys, etc.), but we don't have a savings account or insurance for him. Any sort of emergency will be paid for out of pocket, or from our "general" savings account.

For our newest addition (Tobi, a 1-year old terrier mix I found on the side of the road), everything is coming out of my pocket.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
I have a savings account for myself which I basically assume I would dip into if Chester needed it, but as of right now no insurance or anything. Because of our unique circumstances, I think my mom would help out if Chester needed something extra pricey.

I'm in the same boat. I keep (if I can) 1000-3000$ in my bank account for emergencies. Rent, goes into another account and my credit card covers food and bills. The savings is just in case something happens to Party, and to cover his vet bills etc.

If I had insurance, I would likely get some for him too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm 

This is an interesting thread. I basically know how much the two to three yearly vet visits are for my dogs, plus food, heartworm and whatnot, but I don't have separate money for it, although I'm trying to set aside money and make that a priority. About a year and a half ago my (now 6 year old) mini-doxie had to have back surgery (IVDD). The total cost of the surgery, physical therapy, and recuperation care and costs (it took her almost a year to walk again, so I was pretty much an around-the-clock home vet for a long time and even now she's still a handicapped pup who needs extra love and care...often expensive care) ended up costing me almost $8,000 out of pocket. Once a dog has had an IVDD incident there is a much higher chance of it happening again and there's no way I could cough up that kind of cash twice. It worries me. I'd like to have separate savings set aside just for dog care. I generally have about $500 set aside for the dogs at all times for emergencies, but other than that, I wing it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've never really put any money aside for them but now that you mention it that would be a great idea. The rare few times I've had to go to the emergency vet happened to coincide with pay-days so that has always worked out. Both my dogs have insurance through Banfield so they get "physicals" twice a year, all their shots, teeth cleaning, etc. I think for both dogs it's about $60 a month. It was a lot less before we added the teeth cleaning but Tyler had an entire extra row of teeth that were causing him a great deal of pain and were putting him in jeapordy of losing all his teeth to decay and Brit almost lost a few before we started the cleanings so for me the little extra money a month has been completely worth it to have two wonderful and healthy dogs. I rarely have to take the bunny to the vet and the goats never need anything either. I should start to put some money away for pet sitting, every time I go out of town it takes a sizeable chunk of money to have the whole brood watched. Thankfully the dogs can travel with me when the destination is dog friendly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm trying to decide whether to make my own 'insurance' savings account, or to go for proper insurance.

Most premiums seem to be around £15 a month for lifetime cover - except they don't cover a load of regular maintainence vet things.

Alternatively, I could budget £25 a month into a savings account, which would mean the smaller bills would be covered... but if Dobby gets major sick I'd be screwed unless it was a few years time and I'd accumulated a few thousand by then!

Dilemmas dilemmas...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:22 am 
<3

I'm lucky that I make decent money and was able to pay for Chloe's vet bills when she had diabetes for over ten years. When I only had one kitty prior to going to nursing school, I just paid for their regular care (including spay) and was lucky there was no large expenses. Had there been, my parents would have helped.

I do think about what I'll do when retired. I'll have kitties and I'd like to get an adult dog. I have never had my own dog in my adult life. So, I hope to have some money in savings. I plan to retire pretty frugal. Money aside for pets will be a must though. I'll hope for healthy pets.

I should mention that Chloe's diabetes was caused by a steroid shot when she was 7. It would be a pretty cold day before I'll allow a pet to have a steroid shot again. Although Daphne prior had one due to a severe flea reaction (this was before the flea treatments we have now) and she never had an issue. Only a positive reaction.