| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: injured fish, help me PPK!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I searched but couldn't find a related topic. I inherited a tank of fish from someone that had grown tired of them and was just going to throw them in the garbage. Well, it's been 4 years now and one of the larger fish appears to have somehow injured itself. It looks like there is some bruising under the dorsal fin and the fish cannot swim really at all, its just kind of shimmying side to side on the bottom of the tank with a severe bend in its back right below the bruising. There is no way it can eat like it is, and I seriously doubt it will recover, not to mention I do not have a hospital tank since I was never going to have a fish tank in the first place.

What do I do?

There are about 20 fish total in the tank, so it will also be harassed if it continues to sit on the gravel.

Post subject: Re: injured fish, help me PPK!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Have you been 4 years without any injuries or sickness? Or have the other ones just had a more obvious solution? Sorry, not advice, just impressed if in four years this is the first you're dealing with this kind of thing. All I know about fish getting injured is what I remember from when I was a kid, which isn't helpful stuff.

Post subject: Re: injured fish, help me PPK!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 am 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, 4 years is a good long time to have no major problems in a tank, so you must be doing something right.

What kind of fish? Salt or freshwater tank? What kinds of other fish do you have in there?

You can get little floating isolation boxes that go in the same tank, but keep the fish separate from the others. That solves the problem of him getting harassed, and since it's shallower maybe it'll help with the eating as well? Get some food that sinks rather than floats - algae tablets maybe.

As for actually figuring out what's wrong and fixing it, if the cause is some kind of parasites or disease sometimes you can get medication for that. If it's just an injury, fish are tricky, you can't exactly take them to the vet and get x-rays done. To get more advice from people who are seriously into aquariums, try posting on fishforums.com. Or go to your local aquarium store, assuming you have one and they are actually knowledgeable about fish, not just trying to sell stuff.

Hope you have some luck with all this!