| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I met someone.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was wasting time today before an appointment, and in doing so went to buy cat supplies for my Ladybug who is seven or so. We've pretty much always been just us.

The pet supply store is fostering two cats for the county. One is a five month-old kitten currently called Houdini and I have fallen madly. When I held him, he purred like an eighteen wheeler and he kneads like crazy. When we put him back in his pen, he kneaded the top of the litterbox. This is him, a bad photo. He's adorable.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24190524

He is perfectly healthy, affordable, neutered, and chipped. I tried--badly--once before to introduce a second cat. I had no tolerance for my cat's discomfort and took the new addition back after three days. I've since read about how to introduce cats slowly. I'm away from home a la 9 to 5 during the week now, and I would love to 1. give Lady M a companion and 2. give Houdini a home. I don't know how she will respond and I have a history of not being able to handle her being upset. I don't want to disrupt a kitten's life, and he's ridiculously adoptable, but I want this guy. I don't have realistic perspective at this point, but the store--who is acting on behalf of the county in this case--seems to think it might work.

Thoughts? He's so lovely, and if Lady M would let him be there, they would be great company for each other. And then, her rescue organization thought she would do best as an only, and she is a prickly thing with everyone except me.

Post subject: Re: I met someone.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

My thoughts are....Houdini's so cute!

I've introduced cats before and my tolerance is...that while I don't like them not getting along, it's not a deal breaker if they're not BFFs so long as they can learn to live civilly. I would proceed with introductions slowly and I've only introduced kittenish ages to adult cats and while the adults were sulky and upset at first about the new addition, my present kitties get along fine and even seem to like each other but I've had cats who didn't get along, never learned to like each other and yet could live together in the same house amicably and just ignored each other, sort of thing and while of course I prefer they be friends, I was fine with that particular pairs mutual and enduring standoffishness toward each other, in the end.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh yes, what seitanicverses said.

Houdini's very handsome, and I love your story about him kneading everything. I can see why you're smitten with him, and I wish you the best of luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

squeeeee! i saw the title and it made me grin. i'm not at the point where i can share my life with any more souls, but i love to live vicariously.... i hope they get along super well and you guys are all happy ever after.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You probably know this already, but sometimes it's helpful during introductions to ignore the new kitten. Don't give Lady M a reason to be jealous. Good luck, he's a cutie!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am 
Saggy Butt

Oh, he's so sweet.

I don't have any advice, but I can sympathize. We had two cats who had been together since kittenhood, and one of them just passed away this summer. Our other cat seems to have gotten used to his absence, but I thinks she's bored and lonely when we're at work during the day and would love to get her a companion. But she's 11 years old, has never had to share her space with anyone other than her late BFF (they were super close), and doesn't seem to like the cats that our downstairs renter has - lots of hissing whenever they encounter one another. I kind of hope that she might react differently to a kitten or very young cat, since it's less of a threat? At least that's what I've been telling myself.

But oh my, if I saw someone like this little guy I'd be super tempted too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

rohai wrote:
but sometimes it's helpful during introductions to ignore the new kitten. Don't give Lady M a reason to be jealous. Good luck, he's a cutie!

Yes, I think this is a great point and really helpful on toning down the jealousy during the early days for my kitties. You may feel bad for ignoring Houdini at first when in the presence of both cats, but seriously, kitten energy is just all over the place, they have no point of reference with you (having no past experience with you) so they won't even realize that you're ignoring them. But Lady M will notice and (hopefully) this will help her feel more secure.

When I first got my cats, maybe this was overkill, but I feel I have to be careful with introductions because I always live in small places and small places seem smaller when you have two cats that don't get along. Anyway, I put the kitten's litterbox, food and water and some toys in my bedroom, let the other cat have the run of the rest of the house and would go in and cuddle the kitten and play with him frequently for maybe the first week. Then I'd do the usual things that the advisors advise for slow intros throughout that first week: let the elder cat sniff something the new cat's been sleeping on, maybe let them have short, unthreateening encounters (i.e., I'd open my bedroom door so they could see each other and sniff, etc.) and then cut them short when one cat (usually the elder) shows stress or upset or anything beyond curisosity and then after about a week of pretty much total sequestration of the kitten and slow introductions, I opened the door one evening and went to cuddle the elder cat on the couch in the living room and the kitten came out of my room and stayed in my hallway watching us for the longest time before he finally came to join us.

After that evening, I just put the kitten alone in the bedroom when I went out just until I could be absolutely sure they'd be all right together alone (for maybe another week) and I think, on the whole, it all went very well for my two this way. It depends, of course, in some part on their individual personalities as for how fast they adjust to each other. I'm hoping Houdini has a loving new home ahead of him with you and Lady M and they will be fwends!

Also, Houdini is my favorite illusionist and one of my own artsy muses, so I have a soft spot in my heart for your little Houdini already! <3