| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dogs and Fireworks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does anyone have any tips for helping my dogs not freak out at the sound of fireworks?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Dogs and Fireworks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I always just cuddle with them inside. It doesn't keep them from getting scared, but they get a lot less scared when i am with them.
Here is how fireworks go at my house:
I watch one, think "cool", then go inside, and snuggle with the dogs until they are over.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We use a Thundershirt, which helps a ton, and we also use melatonin. Then Signe goes in her crate with a kong and white noise playing in the room. (If your dogs prefer cuddles when fearful, by all means cuddle them! Signe just prefers the crate.)

Our trainer also recommended valerian but our dog seems to be one of the few that get more would up when taking it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:46 pm 

Our yorkie also gets more worked up on valium, rather than relaxing.

One of our dachshunds is scared to death of fireworks and any similar noises. The other one is scared too but not as scared as her sister. Last year they went together to the back of the house and snuggled up together in one of their crates. We can't leave the house for fear that our idiot neighbors will burn our house down with their bottle rockets, but staying home means our dogs are scared to death. :-\

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'll try melatonin! I didn't know that worked for dogs. She just won't stop barking once it starts and no amount of cuddling seems to help. I've been blasting the TV in years past and I think that helps a little.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:59 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I didn't know about melatonin either! We usually have to give ours vet prescribed meds, which I hate doing because they are so out of it, but otherwise they seriously freak. The border collie howls in your lap and the other one just runs in and out of the dog door barking at the sky.

So we usually close off the dog door, give them their doggie drugs, and hide in our makeshift "theatre room" because its small, dark, well insulated, and we blast a movie.

I'm kind of dreading today because I just feel so bad for my furry babies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:25 am 

This is the first time we've tried a Thundershirt with Muffin, and I'm surprised but pleased to say that it did help. I've been putting it on her in the afternoons when she is napping, just to get a positive association with it. Last night we put it on her, and she stopped shaking and trying to run and hide. She was still looking around and nervous, but it was lessened by the Thundeshirt. She soon laid down under the blanket and went to sleep, which would not have ordinarily happened with the level of very close fireworks noise that was going on last night. Now we just need to get one for the other dachsie too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:04 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Thundershirt does jack poop for Ginny. Today I'm trying out my new theory of giving her an amazing treat after every bang. (Earth Balance White Cheddar Popcorn, aka crack). I also gave her a little of her left-over tramadol.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

We're having pretty good luck right now by basically drowning out the sounds with loud games/tv. Which my dogs are used to so I think they just think its part of our tv. I doubt any of us will be able to sleep tonight when they figure out they've been had and lose any semblance of trust, develop a pack mentality, and turn on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

sadie has taken to barking at a lot of things lately, and she was barking at the early fireworkers yesterday (i think she wants to alert us to make sure we're safe), so we decided to take her on a walk for this year's extravaganza. she was actually incredibly fine with it. she sat nice when we got to a corner with a fantastic view and some neighbors who were standing on the sidewalk. usually she gets antsy if she's made to sit too long on a walk, but she sat for a good few minutes. i think we might make it a tradition. and bring chairs. :-)

the town's show has been over for about 15 minutes, but some neighbors just set some off, and she barked a bit, but not too badly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

No one here is TOO bothered by the fireworks, but I had the windows in the sun room open, and almost all of them were in here when my neighbor right behind and to the left of us started shooting off bottle rockets. Gozer flew off of the stool he was perched on so fast, he sent the cushion flying. They only set off 5-6 total, hopefully they're done.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

I cuddle my dog when the fireworks start. He seems to be okay when there's someone around, letting him know it's okay and safe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Haha, I just went outside with them and Harley was like, "I'm just gonna stand next to you because I care hear fireworks five miles away and i'm a big scaredy poofy baby."

We turned on the whole house fan and Pandora downstairs to provide some noise cover.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I ended up getting Willow some anti-anxiety meds and the whole thing is making me nervous. She was freaking out but now she's hiding under the bed. I wish they would stop! On top of the dog fear I am worried our stupid neighbors will burn shiitake down since we are in a drought. And I can hear tons and tons of sirens. I hate this stupid holiday. We have to get out of town next year.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 am 

Our neighbors set fireworks off for over three hours last night. Our dogs wanted nothing to do with going outside to use the bathroom, wouldn't use the potty pad we put down, and we were all very sleepy. The Thundershirt DID help, it just wasn't a 100% fix (but I didn't expect it to be).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:55 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rowdy was always so afraid of fireworks...if he heard one miles away he would freak out and climb into your lap. Walking him during the month around the 4th of July was a nightmare because if he heard a single 'pop!' he would make a beeline back home, and then be all stressed because he didn't get the exercise he needed. Anyway, I was thinking about him yesterday because it was thunderstorming, his second most biggest fear, and both of those things happening on the same day must have been very stressful for him. Hope my ex gave him lots of snugs.

As for Mike, he wasn't much bothered by the fireworks. T and I set some fountains off in the backyard, and he just watched us from the porch. He did poke his head through the screen, creating a Mike's head sized hole (ack...), but he didn't bark or panic or anything, and there were TONS of (much louder and flashier than ours) fireworks going off. Also, yes to melatonin! It works! T gives it Mike sometimes when he gets super worked up at night and won't go to sleep. A 3mg capsule puts him out for hours, with no ill effects.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well, Ginny and I made it through!
At some point the combo of tramadol, melatonin and the thundershirt (used it even though it proved fruitless before, I felt desperate at a certain point) made her pass out. It was pretty cute actually, for a couple hours she was freaking out, shaking violently, constantly trying to climb up my chest and press her neck on my face (she always does this when really scared for some reason), and then at one point she just flopped down on my arm and instantly started snoring. And then slept through the loudest ones of them all! While I watched some Downtom Abbey. Awh yeah.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]