| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pet blinders?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:32 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Have you noticed people with blinders about their pets? Like they may be worried about health, etc, but are blind about other things?

Like, my gf never noticed her dog had started super shedding (it was June, got the dog in March) around the time we went to my parents, and we said "Hey, Zoƫ seems to be shedding an awful lot." And she said "She doesn't shed much." And it took many times of "no really, look" to get her to understand that yes, her dog DOES shed and maybe it is time to buy a brush and give her a bath outside or something. She just...couldn't see it.

Anyway, my roommate just got a rabbit, like 2 weeks ago! Adorable bunny with a lions mane! But she is super broke and all the bunny cages suck. We really tried to get her to go with the heavy duty dog crate route as cage, but being broke and also super independent, she wouldn't take the loan to get the $120 dog crate and instead bought a $45 playpen (with chewable liner, that she has destroyed) and a litter box. We asked "what if she jumps out?" And she said "well if it happens I will make a cover, but she probably won't jump out." We said "you really need to get cord covers on all the cords and she said "she isn't too bad (mind, she'd just gotten the bunny a few days earlier), I'll just watch her and train her not to/make noise when she eyeballs the cords." I tried to say many times that that isn't the best way, rabbits can really be trained and you won't see every second of floor time, if you cover them it is ok. I offered to loan the money to buy covers, but she declined, instead, going with hope!

YOU CAN'T ASSUME YOUR PRECIOUS BUNNY WILL NOT ACT LIKE BUNNIES ALMOST ALWAYS DO!! IT IS THE BUNNY WAY!!
Anyway, she took a small nibble out of the heater cord (my gf's heater, as she owns the house). My gf was pissed because so many times we tried to impress that she should not leave this up to hope, and then it happened. I just bought her the tubing to use as covers and gave it to her non negotiabally. She used it... on the heater only (it still works, she didn't chew all the way through). Not on the other things, she only used it on the thing she didn't own. She could have covered at least one more cord with the tubing I gave her.

She goes out of town, we watch the bunny. We go down and the bunny is out, having figured out how to jump out, despite the fact that we were uncomfortable with the set up and said so. She chewed on every cord available. She shredded the lamp cord (which thankfully *I* unplugged a few days earlier or we would have had a fire and fried bun), rice cooker cord, Mac cord, power strip (which WAS plugged in) and ate the electrical tape used for previous small repairs. (I saw her using the cable to the computer... and it isn't taped. Ugh)

So, after this unresponsible behavior that I don't even understand, just not accepting what bunnies do, my gf has asked her to move out. I saw her roommate search and she still says "she's a chewer, but she is only out with supervision" not saying anything about bunny proofing or anything! Maybe she will, maybe she won't until the rabbit has eaten something else.

Tell ya what though, the $120 crate seems an awful lot cheaper now that she has eaten at least that much in appliances. She is otherwise a super responsible person! Impressively responsible for her age! But I don't think she sees it yet! Anyway, stories about what we don't see about the animals we love?

Post subject: Re: Pet blinders?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:54 am 
Semen Strong

Oh man! That is frustrating! Especially because of the risk to the poor bunny!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:27 am 
Discovered unobtainium

When we are on the sofa, Molly always leaves me and goes to sit on my mom when she needs to poop. My mom thinks she does this deliberately, for unknown reasons, but I'm clinging to the coincidence theory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lavawitch wrote:
When we are on the sofa, Molly always leaves me and goes to sit on my mom when she needs to poop. My mom thinks she does this deliberately, for unknown reasons, but I'm clinging to the coincidence theory.

Do birds have a latrine urge? Like so many animals that like to go in the same place I mean, I know a lot of birdies don't, but maybe the cute pretty ones do?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No, they just poop when/where convenient. Parrots often potty train themselves like Molly did. Usually she signals in some way so I hold or put her somewhere easy to clean up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:19 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i absolutely believe Tiki the Turkey purposefully poos where he knows it will cause the most trouble (clean floor, new shirt, etc).

I have a friend, a really good friend I love dearly, with so many dogs I can't tell you how many. 15? 17? He already had 7 in his house before he fought with the neighbors [about the dogs] and ended up abandoning his multi-million dollar beach house to the calmer dogs (he has a full time caretaker who walks them twice a day and feeds them) while moving himself and two "big scary" dogs up the mountains, where he managed to accumulate (through his own goodness, these were dogs that were abandoned, hurt, or in one case, were going to be put to death) 8 or 9 more. Which stay in a kennel or in the cabin except for a daily walk.
When I go visit him, I spend as much time as possible with his dogs, which have the best of the best, but what they don`t have is the kind of attention and leadership that a smaller pack would give them. They are always in a herd, everything is always a huge scrum and fight. We recently talked about what would happen if something happened to him and he was emphatic that they not be broken up, that dogs have sibling bonds like humans do. I told him the benefits of individual attention would probably outweigh any of that, and for all we know, dogs get just as annoyed with their siblings as humans do. But no--- so until these dogs die, they will be together in a huge tangle, because who is going to adopt 17 dogs together?

(don't get me wrong, compared to the average brazilian dog, these dogs have it made, and there are none of the other aspects of hoarding- everything is clean, everyone gets top grade vet care, etc) but it makes me sad to think that in a gorgeous forest mountain area, none of them will get to go hiking on a leash through the forest, or even just on a long walk alone where they can be calm and enjoy sniffing and seeing, because every walk has to be done en masse and it is total craziness)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:37 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Wow! Yeah, that does seem pretty sad to see such loved dogs that can't get the happiest parts of being a dog! They get some, the romping with sibs, but not as much of the people time. How many people does it take to take the pack on a walk?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there is one person who takes the whole shebang in the one house (7)-- in the other place there are two don`t-play-well-with-others type dogs, so they get individual short time, and the other however many left get group walks too.

the good news is that i got a christmas card from him saying he had called someone in to try and help with obedience in hopes of placing some of the puppies (who have grown to be HUGE). And the attached pic showed them all with leashes, sitting, so it looks like maybe things are changing!! I hope so. Part of the problem with the first herd is that none were really leash trained or under control, so maybe some new tactics will change the situation. I will go visit in a few months and hope he will have some good results.