| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: I have a new friend!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

love it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

So cute! She doesn't seem to mind the costume. It's cute how her left ear is sticking out (or looks that way in the vid). Adorbs!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
It's cute how her left ear is sticking out (or looks that way in the vid).

Yeah, it is. The headpiece has two earholes but her head is so skinny that there isn't enough space between her ears for both ears to stick out of the holes. I had to add a ton of velcro to it to make it smaller, and it is still loose on her tiny skinny little head!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Aw she is a good sport! Adjusting to a new home and getting dressed up as a pink skeleton and doing so nicely! :)

I forgot to mention she was also super cute in the bathrobe. Dogs who are usually fluffy look so funny when they are smaller and all wet!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Love the costume! adorable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This was one of the 500 items she tried to pick up today. (It was empty. She pulled it from the recycling bin.) Luckily, she doesn't usually try to destroy things, just likes to pick them up and carry them around. I have ordered $100 worth of toys to try to find one that will hold her interest for more than 2 seconds. That is no exaggeration. I actually just spent 100 dollars on dog toys.

We have been working on leash walking inside of the house, using a clicker and diced tofu pups. The scenery is pretty boring, and we walk in a lot of tiny circles, but at least she isn't afraid. She is starting to respond to "let's go!" and to not panic when she feels the pressure on the leash, as long as we are in the house. Also did some work offleash in the yard today getting her to follow and walk with me. Soon we will add the leash in the backyard (She hates the leash so much, because to her it means "going out into the scary world" and she will run and hide when she sees it. So I'm trying to build a positive association with the leash and make leash walking fun and exciting. I really wish we could just walk down the street, but I know it's going to take slow and steady work to get to that point.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

You are so patient and understanding, Tegan is very lucky to have you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tegan look so cute in her Halloween costume! <3

did you try the puzzle toys with her yet?
i think my dogs are too dumb for them they literally just repeatedly whack them with their paws :-P

it sounds like she is making small positive steps forward :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LisaPunk wrote:
i think my dogs are too dumb for them they literally just repeatedly whack them with their paws :-P

Yeah, we did the easiest one first (mine is called dog magic, but I think they've changed the name) and she figured it out really quickly. She did the Dog Twister once, and that took her a little longer, but she got all the treats eventually. I haven't tried the dog tornado yet, just because that was Sable's absolute favorite and it makes me think of her too much. There's a store near me that carries a bunch of the puzzles, so I'm sure we'll be getting more of them in the future, to keep things interesting.

She also seems to think that the dog food bin is a food puzzle, and she figured out how to open it with her mouth. We put a clip on it to lock it, and within a day she had figured out how to undo the clip! So now we're trying a different clip and she hasn't figured it out... yet. She is so smart with some things and so dumb with others. Yesterday I threw a toy and she ran after it, but was blocked because my dad had his feet up on the coffee table. She stopped when she was blocked by his legs and was whining and couldn't figure out to just go around the coffee table! Eventually she jumped onto the couch, climbed over my dad, and leapt off the other side. She is also constantly banging her head, because she'll crawl under a table or chair to get a toy and then she'll try to stand up.

Her recent favorite thing to steal is bananas. She doesn't want to eat them, she just likes to walk around with them. The first one she took, she punctured with her teeth when she grabbed it. Now she is more careful and takes them with a very soft mouth so they are undamaged. It's so weird. Sable went through a banana stealing phase as well, but I think she WAS trying to eat them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
She also seems to think that the dog food bin is a food puzzle, and she figured out how to open it with her mouth. We put a clip on it to lock it, and within a day she had figured out how to undo the clip! So now we're trying a different clip and she hasn't figured it out... yet.

<3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Her recent favorite thing to steal is bananas. She doesn't want to eat them, she just likes to walk around with them. The first one she took, she punctured with her teeth when she grabbed it. Now she is more careful and takes them with a very soft mouth so they are undamaged. It's so weird. Sable went through a banana stealing phase as well, but I think she WAS trying to eat them!

Too cute! I've read the whole thread and must say that I think you are doing a great job.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Smartie! And cutie! And sweetie! Her intelligence will probably become more well-rounded and consistent as she grows and learns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
where did you get the bathrobe?

http://www.furminator.com/wet-dog-solutions

Thank you!

I have been wanting one for Toby (45 lb border collie mutt), but I've only been able to find them for small dogs. We used a different brand of these at a shop where I groomed, and they're magical.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

LisaPunk wrote:

Yeah, we did the easiest one first (mine is called dog magic, but I think they've changed the name) and she figured it out really quickly. She did the Dog Twister once, and that took her a little longer, but she got all the treats eventually. I haven't tried the dog tornado yet, just because that was Sable's absolute favorite and it makes me think of her too much. There's a store near me that carries a bunch of the puzzles, so I'm sure we'll be getting more of them in the future, to keep things interesting.

!

i think the one i have is the dog twister. its a purple circle and they are supposed to slide the compartments around to get the treats. there are white removable bones around the edge that they have to remove in order to be able to slide the compartments.
we've never been able to even use the bones because my dogs are too dumb. even without the bones they havent really figured out how to do it right. they just whack at it violently until a compartment happens to open.

they both supposedly have border collie (we think) in them but it's clear neither one of them got any of the smarts ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The banana stealing is so adorable. I especially like that she is gentle with the bananas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm so happy for you and your new friend. Also, we must have video evidence of this adorable banana thievery.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Just found this shirt. I have so many dog outfits. It's kinda weird. This one belonged to my dad's first police dog, and our little old mutt had a matching one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

boychucker wrote:
I'm so happy for you and your new friend. Also, we must have video evidence of this adorable banana thievery.

We're all out of bananas right now! I do have a photo of Sable when she stole a banana, though, and if I ever get around to scanning it, I'll post it here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

Look at her all spiffed up with her message shirt and batty bandana!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm running out of ideas of things to do with this dog! I'm only at work for 3 hours on weekdays, so that's good for the dog because she doesn't have to stay in her crate that long. But that also means that I am home with her for 21 hours, and she has to be kept constantly occupied when she's not sleeping. Since we can't go for walks and have to stay in the house or yard, we are limited in what we can do. She'll play with toys for maybe a 5 minute period, then loses interest. We do food puzzles and toys stuffed with food, but if she can't get the food out in under 10 minutes, she loses interest and walks away. We do training sessions, but they have to be short, or she gets tired or bored or stressed. Plus I don't want her to get fat by eating all day long. Also, my preferred lifestyle of sitting in my room and reading lots of books or spending hours on the internet obviously doesn't work with this dog. I miss being lazy! My dad really liked her at first and would play with her and watch her during the afternoon, which gave me a break, but now he is tired of her misbehaving and doesn't want to watch her anymore. My mom is here for all of 4 hours a day, and is always distracted by facebook and then the dog does something wrong. If I survive this dog, this may be the last pet I ever get, because I obviously do not have the energy or patience to deal with animals anymore. Thank god I decided years ago that I never want children!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Someone is in time out now because they were being SO fresh (I swear she is like a small child who gets really hyperactive and cranky right before bedtime). On the upside, she is learning sit, which is really exciting because she arrived here knowing a total of zero commands. She sat twice today when I asked, without any luring or prompting. All the toys I ordered are scheduled to arrive on wednesday and I'm really hoping some of them will hold her interest!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awww....there's some progress! She sounds feisty and spirited!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:59 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh, I really hope it works out for you. You are amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tegan was being nervous of people coming to the door (partly because of Basko, who flips the fork out when he hears someone at the door). We were planning on using the frequent doorbell ringing tonight to work with her, but there were so few trick-or-treaters tonight! Only 2 groups of teenagers and one little kid. So I had to go out and pretend to be a trick-or-treater.

I took a video, so you can see her sit on command! And fail to respond to a recall because she is scared! And also there's a jar of eyeballs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh my gosh! So adorable! Happy Halloween tegan and RC!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next