| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: I have a new friend!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I'm hoping she is tired enough she'll fall asleep tonight! She hasn't been in a crate before (she was kept in an x-pen when inside at the last house). But I can't leave her free because she has never properly lived in a house before and will try to eat everything possible (most of this evening was spent trying to keep her from eating things like filing cabinets and kleenex (she even managed to pull open a cupboard using her mouth!)). So I'm sitting next to her crate now and she's crying a little and I feel bad. She went from living mostly outside with a lot of other dogs to being inside a strange house with strange people and only one other dog. Poor puppy. I worked on tossing treats in the crate earlier today and getting her to go in. But I don't have enough time to really get her acclimated because she needs to be in the crate when I can't be directly supervising her, like when I'm asleep!

we had to do this when we adopted our first dog. he had been a stray and then in the dog pound. he may have had a home at one point but it definitely wasnt a good one. we had never had a dog before and had no clue what to do and were afraid he was going to destroy the house when we were sleeping so we bought a crate. we used it just for sleeping.
he hated it and never wanted to go in but we did what you did with tossing the treats and stuff and tried to make it as pleasant as possible. he begrudgingly agreed to it and eventually we left the door shut but unlocked on it and then the door open and hten just took it away. it was a good temporary fix for us while he was settling in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
Awww...she's so cute! Basko's excited face is kinda frightening (but in the cutest way). It's all WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND? NO YOU WILL BE MY FRIEND. FRIEND!!!!

Yes, that's exactly what he was saying! I had to eventually tell him to go lie down, because he was just so in the new dog's face and trying to kiss her and she was starting to get annoyed.

She was quiet last night after I shut the light off. She woke me up at 4 and 7 though because she had to go out (she has loose stools from all the stress). I'm really glad she woke me up and let me know, even though getting up at 4 in the morning wasn't fun! Hopefully she'll be easy to housebreak. I am leaving for work soon, and I'll have to put her in the crate because no one else is home. I'll give her a treat filled kong, and hopefully she won't be upset. Good thing that I'm a lazy slob who only works 3 hours a day!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Eeeee! I'm so happy for you guys! She's just beautiful and we both agree that Basko's look in that photo is hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So happy for you! Basko looks very excited to have a new friend!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 am 
ugh

Yay, she's beautiful!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

She seems comfortable in the house now, but doesn't really like going in the yard. If I go out, she'll go out with me, but then she immediately goes back in. If she has to pee, she'll run out on her own, pee, and then run back in. I can't walk her yet because she is terrified of the traffic and fire hydrants and everything. I just walked her around the front yard on leash, trying to let her get used to the traffic going by. I don't want her to think "house=safe, everything else=terrifying", so I'm going to work every day on desensitising her to all the outside stuff. She saw the neighbours leaving their house and just looked curious. The only time she has barked so far is when the dog next door was barking loudly, and she stopped when we told her to. But she is a collie, so I'm sure she'll be barking more as she gets more comfortable!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what were collies bred for? herding?
just curious.

she is so floofy and pretty :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ahhhh you guys, she is in the crate and she just rolled over on her back and is sleeping like that, just like Sable used to do! She also makes little "hmmph" noises when she is getting comfy on her bed like Sable did. There are lots of things she does that remind me of Sable, which does make me miss Sable, but also it makes me happy to have a dog again. This afternoon she finally got brave enough to go up the stairs on her own, and she also figured out how to climb on my bed. She had never been on a real bed before and she was very excited! She is also super obsessed with food, which will be good for training. We were given a small bag of the food she's been eating and we are slowly mixing in Sable's food to transition her over. She likes Sable's food and treats... I think she likes anything edible!

LisaPunk wrote:
what were collies bred for? herding?
just curious.

Yes, the breed was developed in the UK for herding. They aren't often used for that now, although a few people do compete in herding trials with them. Now they are mostly just bred for competing in dog shows or being pets. Sable met sheep a few times, and she was very interested in them, but I think she just wanted to be friends with them!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Also, we think her name might be Tegan. She is definitely settling in, starting to bark a bit, and had an attack of the zoomies!

Sorry for posting so much! It's just really exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Also, we think her name might be Tegan. She is definitely settling in, starting to bark a bit, and had an attack of the zoomies!

Please keep posting ! We're excited too and love hearing how every one is doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

She's so lucky to have come home with you! And I love how enthusiastic Bosko is about her!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:56 am 
WELFARIST!

God! You're not telling us enough! I mean, I want you to be offline, enjoying Tegan, but I also want to hear about it? Like, every time she blinks, I would like to know? (And I'm not even kidding).

More pictures and stories and video and stuff, please, when you can! <3

Also, has Basko calmed down some?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
God! You're not telling us enough! I mean, I want you to be offline, enjoying Tegan, but I also want to hear about it? Like, every time she blinks, I would like to know? (And I'm not even kidding).

Okay, well she is just walking around right now. Not really exciting. I bet she is blinking, though! We took her to the vet this morning for an exam and heartworm test (she has been on heartworm preventative, but it's good to make sure). She is really terrified leaving the house, so that was difficult. At the vet's office, she climbed up onto the bench with me and tried to hide behind me, but she didn't really fit. She was so good when they stuck her with the needles, though! The vet had to do it 3 times because the veins were so small and she just couldn't get one. They ended up using a teeny tiny butterfly syringe. Tomorrow she has to go back and get spayed, and I'm worried she'll be really scared to be at the vet alone. Poor puppy!

We signed her up for pet insurance today, and I've ordered her an ID tag. Right now she is wearing one of Sable's old tags, just to have something on with our contact info. And I'll see if they can microchip her when they spay her tomorrow.

We weren't even supposed to take her on Sunday. We drove there just to meet her. But then we just couldn't leave without her!

Basko has not calmed down. He is still super excited to have a new friend!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear about every adorable minute! I'm worried if Basko will survive the excitement! I hope (Tegan's?) okay at the vets being spayed. So cute!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh poor puppy! being spayed will be no fun but that's ok cause she will get to go home to a nice loving home where they will take good care of her!

if only you can keep Basko out of her grill for a few days! ;-)

yes more pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just gave her a bath.

She was not happy about it. Of course, immediately after getting out of the tub, and before I could get the dogie bathrobe on her, she sprinted into my bedroom, leapt onto my bed, and flomped down. Now my bed is soaking wet and doggie smelling! I wanted to get the bath done today because she was stinky and after the spay tomorrow she won't be able to get wet for 10 days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ooooooh pissed off floofy......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love that photo!!! And the doggie bathrobe!!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

What a great looking friend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh my goodness, I love her! she is such a lucky, lovely little floofgirl! Bosko is so cute! I love this whole situation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lobsteriffic wrote:
I love that photo!!! And the doggie bathrobe!!!

The bathrobe is great. It's made by Furminator and is a really absorbent microfiber fabric. The last time I gave Sable a bath, my dad got all cranky because she took a nap on the carpet and it ended up with this Sable-sized wet spot that smelled like wet dog for a few days. So I ordered the bathrobe, but unfortunately never got to use it for Sable. It fits Tegan perfectly though, so now she's napping in her crate with it on and the robe is keeping her bed from getting soaked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This is so amazingly weird and coincidental! I have a very good vegan friend whose kitty of many years passed away. When she was finally ready to have another companion animal, she decided she wanted a collie. She went through various rescue groups and finally adopted a beautiful collie a few years ago. And she decided to name him Tegan! TEGAN! (She had some etymology for the name that I have now forgotten.) He is an amazing dog; she takes him to the dog park where he has loads of fun, then she goes to the coffeeshop with an outside patio and she gets her work done and passersby admire and adore Tegan, who has oodles of charisma. And he loves to play fetch.

Is that an amazing coincidence or what? I hope that Tegan's spay goes uneventfully.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That's funny! We went through a whole list of names before we made our decision. After we announced her name on fb, someone posted that one of the top smooth collie show dogs in the US is also named Tegan!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

So cute! So happy she's settling in so nicely! That bathrobe looks so plush and comfy! She's livin' it up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next