| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: I have a new friend!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I love her and the doggy bathrobe! I need to look into that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

where did you get the bathrobe?
we usually only bathe our dogs in the summer when it's hot out so we can leave them outside to dry.

does this help the pup dry while also keeping your carpet from getting a big dog wet spot?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

that bathrobe is ingenious! sadie is a pittie, so she dries lickety split. we keep the bathroom door closed while we towel the excess off, and usually by the time i'm done my own shower, she's all dry. but i bet that's great for doggies with actual fluffiness!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

LisaPunk wrote:
where did you get the bathrobe?

http://www.furminator.com/wet-dog-solutions

Quote:
does this help the pup dry while also keeping your carpet from getting a big dog wet spot?

Yes. I toweled off the excess water after her bath and then put the robe on her and put her in the crate for about an hour. When I let her out, the robe had absorbed most of the water and her fur was just damp. The bed she was lying on was slightly damp, but it dried quickly. That's huge, because when I would bathe Sable, even after drying her off with a million towels, her bed would still end up wet and stinky. Tegan had her bath yesterday afternoon and I'm right next to the crate now and I smell nothing.

Today's update: the honeymoon is over. She had not had a single accident in the house, which I was super happy about, but then yesterday my mom let her out of her crate in the morning and then instead of letting the dogs out right away, she went to get dressed. So of course Tegan peed on the rug. She had been in the crate all night and had to go! Believe me, I yelled at my mom about it. I have to keep reminding my family that this isn't Sable, this is a totally untrained dog whom we have to treat like an 8 week old puppy. Unfortunately the neighbours behind us are now doing some kind of construction in their yard which borders ours... hammering and sawing and just generally making noise. Tegan is totally terrified. She doesn't want to go in the yard at all. When I do manage to get her out there, she is too scared to pee or poop, just tries frantically to get back inside and is so over threshold she won't take any treats. So this is really really difficult. I now have a dog who is too terrified to be walked, too terrified to go in the yard, and who has learned that carpets can be peed on.

I really didn't want to get a fearful dog. I know how hard they are to work with, and it's not something I wanted to deal with at this point in my life. I don't think the people knew how fearful she was because they lived in a more rural area with little traffic or noise, and they had a big fenced area so I don't think they walked her much. They said she had lived mainly outside and that they had been keeping her in a pen when she was inside the house because she wasn't housebroken yet. So I was ready to deal with that, but totally unprepared for the extent of her fearfulness.

She was spayed today and is still at the vet, so I'm getting a little break today and trying to regroup and figure out a training plan for her. I really hope she can improve quickly, because I am still grieving Sable and I'm finding this completely overwhelming.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awww...raspberries! The stress! I appreciate the update though. It'll all work out fine, she's just a new girl in this world, as you know. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Thanks for the link. We may have to invest in a doggie bathrobe.
That sucks about her level of fear. BELIEVE ME I know all about fearful dogs. They can be very frustrating.
When we adopted our second dog Marty he was a nightmare. He had some major abandonment issues I think and bonded super fast to us and super strong. Anytime we left him he would basically freak out. He wasn’t like eating the couch or jumping through glass windows or anything but he was completely frantic. He even destroyed a crate and knocked out one of his own teeth in the process.
We put up a webcam in our house and he basically would spent the day curled up next to the door that goes to the garage (the way we exit in the morning) crying and whining all day.
I was so stressed out I thought we were going to have to bring him back to the shelter.
With him thankfully it just took time and a stable routine. Now we leave both dogs at home all day while we’re at work. They have free range of the house and other than some small mischevious things they are totally fine. No frantic-ness.
He was also very afraid of going places and would puke in the car.
Thankfully that went away too.
Hopefully all she needs is a stable routine and she will begin to calm down.
Im sure clicker training will be your new best friend!
The other thing that REALLY helped Marty become more confident is he does K9 Nose Work classes. This built his confidence up SO MUCH and I totally attribute it to him getting over his fear of going new places. If you don’t have any Nose Work classes in your area or don’t want to join a class and have no clue what im talking about I can give you the basic rundown. I think it’s amazing for fearful, reactive, and timid dogs.

Good luck Tegan! Hopefully your spay went well!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm 

I'm hoping she will get better as she settles in. Basko is an extremely fearful dog (fear aggressive), so I know how intense it is to live with one (we basically have to schedule/manage our lives around him), so was really hoping Tegan wouldn't have fear issues. Two good things are that she is not aggressive at all, even when she is panicked, and she does not have separation anxiety (she is crated with a peanut butter kong when I'm at work and seems to be fine with that). When she gets back from her spay, she'll have to rest for a while, so I'm thinking she'll either have to be in the crate or leashed at all times when in the house, and brought out to the yard frequently. And I may start feeding her on the back porch and then slowly move her dish to the yard, so she can start building positive associations with the yard.

I was going to sign her up for clicker training classes at a local store we go to. I've met the trainer and she is very nice. At this point I don't think Tegan would be able to get any real learning done, but I could ask the trainer if it would be possible for us to sign up and then just sit in the corner away from the action so she could watch and get comfortable. She does like other dogs, so maybe being around a bunch would help with her confidence. And then we could take the course over again if she was ready to learn... not that I have tons of money to blow on training classes, but maybe I could convince my mom to pay as penance for letting the dog pee on the rug!

I actually looked into nosework when I had Sable. There was only one class nearby, and the trainer seemed nice, but the dogs had to take turns working. If it wasn't your turn, your dog had to stay inside of your car so as not to distract the dog who was working. I just didn't think it would be fun for my dog to sit in a car for 45 min for a 15 min block of training. So we did nosework games at home, and also the Nine Ottosson dog puzzles, which she loved (haven't tried those with Tegan yet, but maybe she'll like them too).

Thanks, guys, I know I have to give her time to settle in. I'm just really stressed anyway right now, and Ive had to cancel all my plans for the next couple of weeks because I can't be away from the house for too long because of Tegan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

raspberrycomplaint wrote:

I actually looked into nosework when I had Sable. There was only one class nearby, and the trainer seemed nice, but the dogs had to take turns working. If it wasn't your turn, your dog had to stay inside of your car so as not to distract the dog who was working. I just didn't think it would be fun for my dog to sit in a car for 45 min for a 15 min block of training. So we did nosework games at home, and also the Nine Ottosson dog puzzles, which she loved (haven't tried those with Tegan yet, but maybe she'll like them too).

yeah that's pretty much how i think all nose work classes are done. for my class he gets to go several times but there is definitely time spent in the car.
it's so all dogs can participate. my other dog who insanely dog reactive dog was able to do nose work for 6 weeks because of this (after the 6 weeks we decided he would like agility better)
i definitely see what you're saying though. the great thing is like you said you can totally play it at home and not have to take classes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28 pm 

I don't know if I can do this, you guys. I thought I could have another dog, but maybe I can't? I'm just getting increasingly irritated and angry at her, which I do NOT want to happen. I don't know what to do, ppk. Seriously in tears right now. Advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, Raspberry. So much of what you are saying about Tegan reminds me of Orion when we first got him. The fearfulness, the accidents indoors, the clumsiness (he couldn't walk up or down stairs for weeks, we had to carry him in and out of the apartment 3 times a day!), the destructive habits - and of course they have the same body type. And it's hard to deal with all of it because you're not bonded yet - not just the dog, but you, too. It's funny how much I had forgotten about these first days / weeks and how your posts brought it all back.

Can you think of any setting where you two could be together and relaxed? If the yard is too noisy, maybe a quiet park, or the woods? I feel you need to spend time together that is not work or training, where you can simply learn to enjoy each other's company. With Orion, we did a lot of long walks in a mountain park with no other dogs and barely any people. Sometimes we would work on his bodily coordination, sometimes just walk and relax. Or if she can't deal with the outdoors now, does she like being brushed?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Oh, my.... she is beautiful. Look at that that snout! So sweet!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:27 am 

aelle wrote:
Can you think of any setting where you two could be together and relaxed? If the yard is too noisy, maybe a quiet park, or the woods? I feel you need to spend time together that is not work or training, where you can simply learn to enjoy each other's company. With Orion, we did a lot of long walks in a mountain park with no other dogs and barely any people. Sometimes we would work on his bodily coordination, sometimes just walk and relax. Or if she can't deal with the outdoors now, does she like being brushed?

I can't really take her anywhere yet because she is too scared to walk anywhere and I don't drive (which is okay because she's terrified of the car too). If I do try to take her outside on a leash, she does a total freakout, struggling and thrashing and trying to slip out of her collar (which she can't because I have her on a martingale, but I don't want to choke her). She's so stressed outside that she won't eat any kind of food, so to get over this I would have to start working with her inside and very very slowly move out the door. I think it would take weeks of steady work before she would be able to just walk around the block. She doesn't like to be brushed, but she will tolerate it for a few minutes. I had to brush her a bit because she had mats all in her armpits and behind her ears. She likes to play fetch in the house, but we can't do that right now because she just got spayed. I really just wanted a friendly, laid-back dog to keep me company now that Sable is gone. Honestly, if I knew she had issues like this I probably would not have adopted her, because I don't have the energy to deal with it right now. I knew she needed to be housebroken and would probably chew things, and I was okay with that, but I had no idea she was this fearful. But I would feel absolutely terrible if I brought her back!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:32 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

<3 <3 <3 raspberries!!!

I don't know much about dogs because we only had one when I was a kid and my brother really looked after her so I can't help with advice but I'm sorry it's so hard and frustrating!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 am 
Dead by dawn

I don't really have any advice about training a fearful dog, and this might sound stupid, but maybe you could start by having a heart to heart talk with her. Dogs are good listeners and you could tell her about Sable and how much you loved her and miss her, and about how you're going to be the best dog mom you can be and help her through her limitations, but that you need her help and trust, too. Maybe it'll make you feel better if the two of you are working on this together (or maybe I'm just a weirdo who talks to her dog a lot.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am 
Chip Strong

A few years ago we adopted a second dog, Chance. He is a fairly large Sheltie - 42 lbs. Not fat - oversized! I almost wanted to give this dog back. I was freaking right out. I was not yet attached to him at all and he was making life hell. I called friends and cried. I called my husband at work and cried. I hugged him and cried. I spent quite a few days or weeks very upset at what I had taken on by taking this dog. He had been an apartment dog all his life. We have a house with a nice fenced in backyard. This dog could not handle being in the yard. He would continually bark at me nonstop and herd me or anyone else (biting our feet) as soon as we approached the threshold and out in the yard. You could not walk around the yard at all with this dog out there. He would follow you, get in front of you and bark his face off at you attacking your feet while you tried to walk to the garden, across the deck, back into the house, etc. It was so infuriating and upsetting. He also has multiple neuroses and is highly reactive indoors to a million things, especially anything in a spray bottle or anything that looks like a spray bottle (think Frank's hot sauce, dish soap, air freshener, Pam spray, lysol, any cleaning product.) He was obviously traumatized by spray training as a puppy. As soon as he sees you going for any one of these objects he doesnt like - spray bottle - also papertowels, swiffer duster, dust cloth, flashlights, hose sprayer - oh, and now the iron because it goes "hiss!" - he barks like a maniac and attacks said object. I almost gave this stupid dog back. But it is not his fault. We kept him. We muddled through, not without a lot of upset on our part and the dog's part. Friends who come over say they can see that he is so much better now. Sometimes I can't. But you know what makes me think we were meant to have him and keep him? No one else would give this dog the love and patience and steady safe happy home we have. I have no doubt that with his difficult behaviors he would have been hit, kicked, abused, and shifted from home to home to home. Or shelter to shelter. I am happy to deal with some difficulties to spare him that. He doesn't deserve it. Who knows what he went through as a younger dog to make him the way he is. So he is here to stay. And I'm glad. Most of the time. But my house is not that clean since he hates all cleaning products. So anyway, maybe that's why this dog needs you. You obviously have the skills, patience, love and knowledge to give her a good home and a good life. Sable sent you to you, you said. My dog was sent to me as well! There was a sign we were meant to have him, and I think we were. He needs us.

Also this poor beautiful guy came to us shaved! The former owner said she brushed him everyday - hah. He also hates to be brushed and attacks the brushes. I don't send him to the groomer because I am too cheap and I think he would be traumatized. I groom him myself and his coat is long and pretty again! He gets a peanut butter kong to eat while I do his back and sides and behind the ear mats, then I get a partner to kold the kong while I get under his neck and his front and tummy. So anytime he is getting brushed he is eating peanut butter.

Thinking of you and your new girl. Keep posting, if even just to vent your frustration.

Also, if this isn't getting too long, I have seen others go through this sort of pet adoption postpartum depression, we call it. My sister when she got her cats, her new dog, my friend when she adopted 2 kittens after losing her cat of 20 years! Sort of a "what have I done? now I am stuck with this animal for the next 12 years and I can't change my mind" sort of thing, and I think it's sort of normal for some people, probably more so for highly conscientious and/or anxiety prone people like my sister and friend and I are.

<3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

monkeytoes wrote:
I don't really have any advice about training a fearful dog, and this might sound stupid, but maybe you could start by having a heart to heart talk with her. Dogs are good listeners and you could tell her about Sable and how much you loved her and miss her, and about how you're going to be the best dog mom you can be and help her through her limitations, but that you need her help and trust, too. Maybe it'll make you feel better if the two of you are working on this together (or maybe I'm just a weirdo who talks to her dog a lot.)

I don't think this sounds stupid at all. I was going to suggest Raspberry could sit on her bed with Tegan and read a book out loud to her (or sing or something). Something relaxed, that you didn't used to do with Sable or weren't planning on doing with Sable. I talk to my dog a lot, too, especially when I get frustrated with him (which I consider 100% my fault and 100% my responsibility to fix, so I talk to him about why I'm failing at being a good dog mom and ask him to forgive me and be patient).

I haven't had the experience of losing a dog and getting a new one, but I can only imagine it must be hard. Sable was a special dog that was very loved and in your life for a long time. These are some big shoes to fill. It makes perfect sense that it is going to take time to get to know and love this new dog as an individual. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

erynne936 wrote:
But my house is not that clean since he hates all cleaning products.

This made me laugh! Oh, the sacrifices we'll make for our pets...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

RC, I wish I had words of wisdom, but I just have good thoughts for you. I hope that you and Tegan can find your comfort zone and bond and all those wonderful things. I think the heart to heart is a great idea... I have them with Benjamin frequently about all sorts of things going on in my life and it does help.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Have you tried taking her out at night? Chester has a lot of day time fear, but at night he's a totally different dog. Now I can take him out in the morning or at night, but even to this day taking him out in the afternoon or evening is just no fun. He gets overstimulated by all the sounds/smells/people and just stops randomly and won't budge. Highly embarrassing when we're in the middle of a walk! But even that is progress over how he was originally - every single step out of the house was a battle like I was leading him to his death.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm 

Fee wrote:
Have you tried taking her out at night?

Yes. Last night I was up all night with her. I tried taking her out at midnight, 3am, 5am, 7am... there was no difference any time.

erynne936 wrote:
I have seen others go through this sort of pet adoption postpartum depression

Yeah this is what it seems like. Feeling really depressed, overwhelmed, like I can't cope with this living being that I have to care for. I wonder if anyone has done any research on this.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I don't really feel comfortable talking to this dog yet (beyond the normal "no, stop chewing on that! good dog"). I talked to Sable all the time, she was my best listener. I would have conversations with her, sing to her, read to her... I just don't know the new dog well enough to be comfortable doing any of that yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:55 pm 
Chip Strong

I found it. "Post Puppy Depression"!! It's a thing!

https://www.google.com/search?q=post+pu ... e&ie=UTF-8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:15 pm 

erynne936 wrote:
I found it. "Post Puppy Depression"!! It's a thing!

https://www.google.com/search?q=post+pu ... e&ie=UTF-8

Wow, seems to be a very common occurrence!

Well, I tried her with the easiest dog puzzle I have, and she is now completely obsessed with it. She did it twice and then I had to hide in in the sink because I don't want her to get her entire daily food intake in fifteen minutes. It kept her busy for fa short while at least. I'll try a more difficult puzzle tomorrow and see if she can do it. Right now she is on my bed, moving my stuffed animals around. She still has these moments of sudden anxiety where she will be playing or resting and then tense up and start whining for no apparent reason. Maybe she's hearing things I don't.

She has a cone of shame, which she hates and acts like she can't walk if she is wearing it. But she has tried to lick her stitches a couple of times, so I have to put it on her at night. So of course, all night she kept banging it into the sides of her crate and making a racket. I got approximately 20 minutes of sleep last night. I'm going to the pet store later today and I'm going to see if they sell any alternatives to the plastic cone.

Also, she keeps getting her nose stuck in this toy, which did make me laugh. It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm 
Chip Strong

Aw she is such a pretty girl!

Wait, is that a steak dog toy!? That's not vegan! :P

A friend of mine has told me about an inflatable donut like alternative to the cone of shame. Her dog LIKES wearing it. However it's easier for the dog to get off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm 

erynne936 wrote:
Wait, is that a steak dog toy!? That's not vegan! :P

Yeah, but it's 100% manmade materials, so I think it's okay!

I might try the inflatable collar if I can find it. I don't think she's smart enough to get it off (sorry Tegan). The last time I put the plastic cone on her, she was looking straight up at me and I just slipped it over her head. She just stood there with her head pointing up like that, like she didn't realise she could move it. I had to physically move her head into a normal position, and she was just like "Oh. This is better!". Not the brightest bulb...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That vid of Tegan and her toy is precious. Please give her a big floofy hug from me! <3 <3 <3

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next