| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: I have a new friend!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

They did have an inflatable collar at the store, so I bought one. Took forever to blow up. She's only had it on for a short while, but it seems much better so far. It doesn't loudly knock into the crate like the cone did and she seems much more comfortable. I wasn't sure if she'd be okay sleeping with it on, but she seems to be fine. She fell asleep right away after I put her in her crate. The collar does hold her head up a bit, but maybe it feels like a pillow to her because she's not bothered at all. I'm not 100% sure it would keep her from reaching her stitches if she were really determined (she hasn't tried to lick her stitches once since I put it on her), so I think I'll still use the plastic one when I'm not at home just to be sure.

We also got lots of chew toys and treats to try to keep her busy. We got a Snook's sweet potato chew, which looks pretty cool (Big chunks of dried sweet potato on a hemp rope: http://www.shop.snookdog.com/category.sc?categoryId=3). All in all, this was a better day than yesterday. I'm going to try taking it one day at a time and try to focus on any improvement no matter how small. It's tough because I tend to dwell on the bad things, so maybe I should make a list of any positive Tegan-related moments each day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:04 am 
Dead by dawn

I'm glad today was a better day for you and Tegan, rc.

Word to the wise on the Snook's sweet potato chew: don't let her have it for more than a few minutes at a time until you get an idea of how much she's eating of it and how it affects her digestion. Amos loves his and manages to eat a lot of it. If I let him gnaw on it for more than 15 minutes, he'll have runny poops for the next day, so it's a short-term treat for him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 am 
WELFARIST!

Hoping today is another great day for you and Tegan <3.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

GLad you and and Tegan had an ok day! Nevermind the stress of having a new doggie to adjust to, having a post-surgical doggie is another added difficulty! Remember to go easy on yourself and treat yourself with kindness and take care of yourself - a bath, a cup of tea, whatever you need - this is not the easiest situation!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

glad to hear things are started to get a lil better.
i totally believe the post-adoption depression thing. i totally had it with our second dog. i was sooooo stressed out i wanted to bring him back to the shelter. i didnt think we could keep him because he was just so frantic and panicked anytime we left.
the only reason we still have him is my husband refused to take him back basically saying what an awful thing it would be to do to the dog. he was already having abandonment issues and if we abandoned him then he would never get better. he was right of course and now im horrified i ever wanted to bring him back as he is such a great dog now but my husband is WAY calmer than me. i am basically always in a panic.

the first few weeks are really hard while they are settling in. i tried to look at it from the dog's perspective. they have no idea we mean well and want to take care of them.

it really is a baby steps process.

you and Tegan will get there. i have no doubt!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:

Argh, that didn't come out quite right. I mean, I know yesterday wasn't great but it was better and I'm trying to say I hope things get better and better for you guys! <3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

She somehow managed to turn her head around and rip a hole in the inflatable collar. I'm really bummed about that, because it was working so well. She won't even take a step if she's wearing the plastic cone, but when she had the inflatable collar on, it was like she didn't even notice it. She would still walk around and eat and play with it. And I slept through the night last night because the inflatable collar didn't make a racket every time she moved in her crate. But now we'll have to go back to the cone. I'm counting down the days until she can get her stitches out and we won't have to deal with the cone any more.
monkeytoes wrote:
Word to the wise on the Snook's sweet potato chew: don't let her have it for more than a few minutes at a time until you get an idea of how much she's eating of it and how it affects her digestion. Amos loves his and manages to eat a lot of it. If I let him gnaw on it for more than 15 minutes, he'll have runny poops for the next day, so it's a short-term treat for him.

She's being really good with it and not trying to eat the whole thing. I gave it to her when I was having my lunch, and she chewed on it a little and then fell asleep. I'm only giving it to her when she's upstairs in her crate, because I know if Basko sees it, he will try to eat the entire thing in one gulp.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Argh, that didn't come out quite right. I mean, I know yesterday wasn't great but it was better and I'm trying to say I hope things get better and better for you guys! <3

I knew what you meant! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
She somehow managed to turn her head around and rip a hole in the inflatable collar. I'm really bummed about that, because it was working so well.
Maybe you could patch it with duct tape? Of course she may just turn around and rip another hole in it, but if it was an accident...?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

maybe the cage ripped it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If it was just a little puncture, I would try to patch it, but it's a big jagged rip. The store also had soft cones that I considered, but her face is so long that none of the sizes they had were long enough to cover her nose! Plus I was concerned she would chew on it, since it's fabric... I guess we're stuck with the plastic e-collar for now. I think she can have her stitches out in 10 days, which would be next friday or saturday. Just need to survive that long!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

supercarrot wrote:
maybe the cage ripped it?

No, it was definitely her. I don't know why, because she had completely ignored it up until then. Maybe she had gotten some food residue on it or something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Last night I had the idea to stuff the inflatable collar with rags. It's a bit heavy, so I only put it on her at night when she is only going to be lying down anyway. It worked fine last night. She can wear the plastic cone when she's crated while I'm at work. I don't have to listen to it then.

It's been almost 3 days without accidents, so fingers crossed. She does want to chew EVERYTHING, though. And wants to stay with me all the time. Like right now she could be downstairs with my dad and the other dog and the 10,000 dog toys. It is much more fun downstairs! But instead, she just stays up here with me, stares at me, climbs on me, tries to eat every single thing in my room... I'm definitely the least fun thing in the house, so I have no idea why she wants to be in here with me.

If my mom is home at all this weekend, we are going to try taking her to a quiet park away from traffic and noise and other people to see if she is any less scared there. I really would like to be able to walk her, because she gets bored in the house.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We went to the community farm yesterday. Usually it's pretty deserted, but unfortunately there were lots of people there taking photos of the foliage. Some people were doing whole family portraits with professional photographers (the foliage is pretty shiitake this year, but I guess everyone must have planned in advance). So she was very spooky walking by the groups of people with all their tripods and camera equipment. But once we got into the open fields that were free from people, she calmed down a bit. At least we were able to actually walk her, so it was much better than at home. We'll keep working with her at home, and hopefully I will eventually be able to walk her on the path across the street, because that is very convenient and it's a good long walk.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Glad to hear you got to have a somewhat calm walk outside! Love the pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awww...wook at her! I'm glad you had an outing where she could relax some! <3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aww she is beautiful! She looks just like my old dog Maxie. She had fear issues too. Do you think it's a collie thing or an unsocialized thing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think the herding breeds especially can have a tendency towards shyness that shows up if not exposed to a lot of people and things in puppyhood. We've had fearful border collies, aussies, German Shepherds, and shelties in the shelter, and it seems like the percentage of fearful animals in those breeds is higher than for others. I know the collie breed had a tendency for extreme nervousness and sometimes aggression in decades past that breeders had to work to breed out. Albert Payson Terhune wrote many books about collies in the 20s and 30s in which he tried to dispel the then-popular opinion that collies were "savage" dogs. It's hard to imagine that now, when most people think of collies as heroic Lassie-type dogs! Sable had fears when we got her. Not as intense, but she was frightened of things like plastic bags, flower pots, etc. She got over most of them quickly, except the plastic bag fear, which took years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Today's update: We have found that she will go for a walk if Basko goes too. She stays right at his side and is comforted by his presence. Unfortunately, because Basko is fear aggressive towards people, I don't feel comfortable walking them both at the same time. So they can only be walked together if one of my parents takes Basko. Tegan still gets super afraid when loud trucks go by, which is tough because we live on a main road and loud trucks go by approximately every 30 seconds. I think we'll have to make more trips to parks that are away from roads to work on her leash walking. Because once a truck goes by, that's it, she's in a complete panic state and there's no calming her down.

I got her Halloween costume today. She likes dressing up! She's such a weirdo. I put the costume on her and she got all excited. It even has a little head piece and she wasn't bothered by that at all. I'll try to get some pictures of her wearing it tonight. I would be posting more pics, but my camera memory card is full, so I have to delete a pic to take a new one, and I hate deleting pictures. Even though I have them all backed up and made into prints, I still get this "now it's gone forever!" feeling whenever I delete one off the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm 

get a new memory card! :-) keep this one as backup. put it in a fire safe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, I will get a new memory card eventually. I just don't have the extra cash right now. We actually do have a fire safe... I could put it in with my savings bonds, which I am 100% certain I will never remember to cash in. After I die, people will go through my belongings and find a safe filled with old government bonds and camera memory cards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:12 pm 

it makes more sense to cash in savings bonds right now(if you can). if you're in debt or need money, it makes absolutely no sense to hang on to them. they have such low percentage rates even compared to a bank account.

we cashed all of ours in. we were essentially losing money because of all of the increasing interest on our existing debt (makes more sense to pay down the debt than to hang on to pointless bonds). it only makes sense for rich people to have savings bonds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! Tegan's Halloween costume!!! Can't wait to see it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Okay, this was difficult, because she wont stand still for 2 seconds. So these were the best of the pics I got:
They were all sold out of the normal skeleton costumes, so we had to go with the hot pink. I think she pulls it off rather well, though.

It also glows green in the dark, which we tried to capture, but neither my camera nor my video camera work in low light. So here is a video with the lights on:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:13 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I thought doggie bathrobe was pretty cool but that costume is epic!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next