| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fostering shelter animals - your experiences
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've been thinking about starting to foster cats from the local animal shelter when I move to a new city. We're moving into a bigger apartment (2 rooms + kitchen+bathroom). I want to do it for 3 main reasons:
- for the good cause. Helping the shelter and the cats!
- Lucia might be happy (happiER) with a cat friend since she's an indoor cat.
- The more kitties in my life the merrier, but I don't want to get another cat permanently, so fostering seems like a good idea.

So, I already have a cat, Lucia whom I rescued in January this year. She's really sweet, not afraid or aggressive or anything, just very loving. I don't know about her history with other cats.

What's your experiences with fostering cats (or dogs, I guess)?

Post subject: Re: Fostering shelter animals - your experiences
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I fostered a dog once. We decided to adopt her about 1/2 a day in, haha! I admire people who can do it, because it's such an awesome service, but if I continued to do it I would have an unhealthy amount of animals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My only concern would be the stress on your cat - will it be stressful for her to meet a new cat and then have that cat leave and then go through the whole process again?

I'm not saying it will be stressful, I don't know your cat, but that would be my concern.

Other than that I think fostering would be a lovely way to have some feline companionship, and you are providing a much needed resource!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have only fostered dogs, not cats, but it's been an amazing and positive experience for us. In some cases, we've had dogs that were almost euthanized go on to become loved family members. Also, our dog died unexpectedly in June, and because our future living situation is a bit uncertain, we've decided not to adopt a new dog for awhile. Fostering keeps me sane because I can no longer tolerate a dog-less household.

There tends to be a period of adjustment during the first week or two, but all the dogs we've had seem to settle in relatively quickly. It's so fun to see the fosters come out of their shells as they get used to living in a house again instead of a shelter. Our current foster did not handle shelter life well. He was really subdued and serious when he first got here, but he's turned out to be super loving and goofy and hilarious. It is definitely hard when the dog finds its forever home because we get really attached, but the new family and the dog are always so happy that they've found each other. The rescue group that we foster for has a really thorough adoption process and I get to meet all potential adopters, so I'm always confident that the dogs are going to a good home. I love getting emails with pictures of them enjoying their lives together too. One family adopted a foster right before his birthday- they had a party for him and sent us pictures of him wearing his little birthday hat and everything. He had this total "Aw, shucks!" expression on his face. When we still had our dog and a foster went off to a new home, she would be a bit mopey for a couple of days but it made introducing the next foster easier since she was happy to have a new friend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The first time I tried fostering, I ended up with Didget. Since then, I've had kittens twice. I kept the kittens separate from my cats since they were too young to be tested for certain illnesses. It was lots of fun, but also a lot of work.