| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on dog parks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My dog loves to romp with other dogs and going to the dog park is one of his favorite things ever. However, I've seen some really horrid behavior......from the humans.......lately and I don't want to go back. Plus my pup (he's five years old, but still my pup) has gotten ill a few times recently (can't say for sure it's from the dog park, but he can't get into anything without my knowing it so it's impossible that he got into some trash or something).

I mean, verbal fights among the owners and people kicking (yes, really) and manhandling other people's dogs. I mean grabbing the dogs by the collar and/or scruff and throwing them around. The dogs were never even in the midst of a fight or being aggressive. Just complete a-hole people there. I've gotten into it myself with these people a few times in the last few weeks and I don't want that kind of crepe. It makes me a bit sad because my boy loves it so much, but illness and fights?

What do you all think of dog parks?

Interesting to note, I have three friends who are veterinarians and one who is a dog trainer and *none* of them like dog parks.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on dog parks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:40 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hate 'em. People use the enclosure as an excuse to not supervise their dog, or think a dog park is somehow going to magically socialize their dog without having to put any work into it themselves. I would only take an incredibly well-socialized dog to a dog park, myself. We used to hit up the dog beaches in Chicago with one of our dogs (it definitely wasn't an appropriate place for the other) and witnessed some truly appalling behavior. Ugh. I'd rather go for a walk or a run where I can generally be in control of the interactions between my dog and other dogs/people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 am 
Semen Strong

It really depends on the neighborhood and the dogpark. The one closest to us is a giant disaster, where people bring their dog aggressive dogs and we've had a few really bad dog fights. And I've had run ins with jerks who bring their un-neutered, aggressive pittbulls in and then tell me how they're going to be mating them. We have a lot of dogfighting near us, and I have the suspicion that some of the dogs are used for that.

The one that is about 20 minutes away and in a nice upscale town is lovely - its covered with trees, there are regular crews of dog owners who go at particular times, and if you find a group of people you like, then you meet up with them and your dogs end up with a nice relationship, which is great. Everyone seems to supervise their dogs well, the dogs seem healthy, no one brings in people food and the ground is well drained and everyone picks up after themselves really well. On weekends around noon is the worst time, because that is when the non-regulars come in and you have more uncontrolled dogs, but even then its okay.

So my take on it, is that if you don't like the one near you, try a few others!

ETA re. Mandycoot's point: My dog is really well socialized and non-aggressive, so maybe that makes it easier for me. He is a pittie mix, so I've had some owners be rude about that, but generally we have no problems.

Last edited by Tofulish on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I hate them too, unless no one else is there. When I lived in the city full time they were the only time my dog got off leash time but after several incidents (including a guy kicking my dog and calling me the c word) we stopped going unless we happened to go past and no one was there, which meant we often went in downpours and blizzards. People would let there dogs do whatever while they were socializing on the other end of the park. One woman had a dog who attacked multiple dogs (including mine, twice) yet still left her unsupervised. Ugh, I'm still mad over the whole thing four years later!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Wow, I've never encountered anything like this here in PDX. I've only ever had marvelous times at the dog park. Sad!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yeah, between the potential for getting sick and the fights, I'm happier just taking Cammie on a hike. I think she prefers to run around the woods on her own or with my brothers' dog too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:02 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks for your input guys. I'm still appalled by some people's behavior here. I haven't seen one dog fight, just the humans behaving badly! I guess I'll start a new search for a playdate playmate for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 pm 
Dead by dawn

I will only take Amos to the small dog park at Magnuson. I know small dogs can be aggressive too, but I feel like it mediates some of the risk and I have never had a problem there with the people. He's great offleash, though, and I would never take him to a dog park if he weren't. He likes it, but honestly he has more fun on trips to my aunt's (she has private beach rights so he can be offleash there and there's not usually more than another dog or two on the beach.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like them in theory. Before we moved, we only took them a handful of times, and on weekdays because we had three dogs of varying sizes and the size for small dogs was...really small, and I didn't want Fawkes in with a bunch of huge dogs. Here, the gate at the park has a card reader, so you have to apply and get your vet to sign the form so at least you know that the other dogs have their shots, but I just haven't gone yet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 pm 

Haha, I just looked up the registration form and it's $35 a year! $15 per extra dog! fork that noise.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I misread the title as "Thoughts on dog parts."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Every dog park I've been to has one crasshole person who ruins it for everyone else. Every single one! Usually it's someone who shows up with an aggressive and/or out-of-control dog and then gets super angry when asked to control their dog. Yes, how dare I ask you to keep your 80 lb dog from chasing smaller dogs into corners and attempting to eat them.

I'm not a big fan anyway. Dog parks can be super overwhelming for many dogs, and I always see dogs who are obviously stressed out and/or being bullied by other dogs, but the people think, "Oh, he's having such fun!" (as their dog is being body-slammed by an overly exuberant labrador and is showing clear stress signals). There is a park in town that is often used as an unofficial dog park, and dog bites to other dogs or humans happen on an almost monthly basis (and those are just the ones that are reported).

I know there are some private parks out there where not only do you have to show vaccine records and pay for a membership, but you also have to bring your dog in so they can see how your dog interacts with other dogs before you are granted admission. If you really have your heart set on going to a real dog park, that is probably the safest (though most expensive) option. Otherwise, playdates with another friendly dog or two are fun and free.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm 

Yeah, if I really needed a dog park I would have no problem paying the fee because that tells me that the chances of there being people there on weekdays goes way down.

The last time we took all three dogs to the one in Springfield, it was a weekday but apparently we showed up during a Owners of Huge Dogs playdate because the side for the big dogs (each pen is actually separated by a walking path) was full of huge dogs. Like up to my shoulder sized. So we had to go to the small dog side and there's really not enough room in that one to toss a ball for the dogs so it's not really worth it. And then we had to leave because some lady showed up with her toddler and we didn't want Chester to eat her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:55 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a husky, a runner, and a dog park is the only place I can go and let her off the leash to run. I only go in the winter when there are hardly any people around to avoid any incidences, and non-picked up poops. Our dog park is in an industrial area and half of it is a swamp. I always suspect that there's more than water in the water which is why I only go in the winter when everything's frozen!
Problem is, she's also an escape artist and the last time she got out, so I won't be going back anymore either.