| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helping an older dog that started peeing inside
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:29 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We've got an older dog that isn't making it through some nights without having accidents (and on the rare occasion during the day). I'd be happy to let her out at night but unfortunately she isn't interesting in making her needs known when they arise and would rather just pee outside our bedroom at random times during the night. She prefers to sleep upstairs but it's becoming clear that she's not a fan of going down the stairs if she can help it, so she has a tendency to ignore us when we call her to go outside and use the bathroom; we usually have to go extend a personal invitation and walk her down the stairs and outside. So we're looking for any advice in how we can deal with this. We've looked at the puppy patch/potty patch etc (the fake grass looking pads that they use inside) but weren't sure if they were of any use.

Also, I'm curious if there's anything out there to spray on the spots she has marked to make her not want to pee there again.

Thanks!

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

Post subject: Re: Helping an older dog that started peeing inside
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Have you taken her to the vet? That would be my starting point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:53 am 
Semen Strong

I had a similar experience, and this is the advice I got from Pets for Life (they are an awesome free resource for behavioral and other problems as they deal with surrender prevention). http://www.humanesociety.org/forms/cont ... ntact.html

First, we took Cuddles to the vet and got a "senior panel" done on him to rule out kidney, prostate and thyroid issues (amongst other things).

Once we realized it wasn't medical, then they suggested Urine-off for cleaning pee (apparently its more effective than Nature's Miracle) on the spots where he pees to eliminate the smell. And then they suggested using a belly band/diaper for dogs, which makes it more unlikely that he will pee in the house and also means that any pee will be absorbed in a washable diaper. In addition, because Cuddles was peeing on Leela's toys, they suggested using Feliway pheromone on her toys will make it smell more comforting, because they felt that the peeing was because a smell on them was making him feel anxious.

That has worked well for us so far. If it doesn't they suggested crating your senior with a nice blanket when you can't be with him/her, and they assured us that it wasn't going to be traumatic, which was important to me to hear.

How big is your dog? I know a few people who use the peepee pads for little doggies but I don't know if I'd be thrilled with using them with a 70lb dog!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:38 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

blondiefk wrote:
Have you taken her to the vet? That would be my starting point.

She hasn't been since this spring, but at that time everything checked out. That is a good point though, we haven't discussed this with the vet yet and probably should.

Tofulish wrote:
I had a similar experience, and this is the advice I got from Pets for Life (they are an awesome free resource for behavioral and other problems as they deal with surrender prevention). http://www.humanesociety.org/forms/cont ... ntact.html

First, we took Cuddles to the vet and got a "senior panel" done on him to rule out kidney, prostate and thyroid issues (amongst other things).

Once we realized it wasn't medical, then they suggested Urine-off for cleaning pee (apparently its more effective than Nature's Miracle) on the spots where he pees to eliminate the smell. And then they suggested using a belly band/diaper for dogs, which makes it more unlikely that he will pee in the house and also means that any pee will be absorbed in a washable diaper. In addition, because Cuddles was peeing on Leela's toys, they suggested using Feliway pheromone on her toys will make it smell more comforting, because they felt that the peeing was because a smell on them was making him feel anxious.

That has worked well for us so far. If it doesn't they suggested crating your senior with a nice blanket when you can't be with him/her, and they assured us that it wasn't going to be traumatic, which was important to me to hear.

How big is your dog? I know a few people who use the peepee pads for little doggies but I don't know if I'd be thrilled with using them with a 70lb dog!

Thanks for the advice! She's a corgi/border collie mix, roughly 35 lbs. So not huge, but not tiny either.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh I also have been very lucky with this scentball: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00189 ... UTF8&psc=1

I add a few drops of peppermint and it covers the smell of peppermint and it makes the house smell clean and fresh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:12 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't want to make you nervous, but Chester started peeing in the house for the first time ever after we moved, and it turned out that his health was quickly declining. We have a carpet cleaner to get rid of pee/puke ASAP.

ETA: We had a doggie pen that we had bought when he busted his hip, and when he started sneaking down in the middle of the night to decorate the living room carpet, we put that up around his dog bed. He used to always wake me up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and just stopped doing that, but he still didn't want to pee on or around his bed so he would whine to be let out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Does she pee in the same spot she is sleeping in? I have an old German Shepherd who started peeing in her sleep, and the vet said that it was a hormonal problem that older, female, spayed dogs can have when they are very relaxed. We've been giving her a medication called Proin for it and it has seemed to help. Like I said, the key to knowing if it's that kind of problem is to know if she is peeing where she sleeps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

If she is peeing in the same spot and there isn't a health problem, often you don't need to do more than putting down a pee pad in that one spot. To get her used to having the pad as an option you can absorb the urine from one accident and cement it as "pee friendly".

If she is going in a few areas you may well have to enclose her so she can't around to another spot to pee.