| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: vet costs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I really, really think you need to get a second opinion. Chester had a teeth cleaning, six pulled (flat rate for three teeth or more), and he had something else special because his bloodwork from when we scheduled the appointment showed his liver problems for the first time and it somehow affected the surgery, and it was still around $400 total.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

esme wrote:
ugh, ab needs two teeth extracted. the vet gave me a $900 estimate, plus an additional $300 because they want to give her an echocardiogram before the extraction. she has a slight murmur due to hyperthyroidism and they want to know exactly what the deal is with her heart before giving her anesthesia

Kizzy had a dental cleaning a couple of years ago that cost around $700+ (that included an earlier admission to clean out his kidneys and give him a better chance of tolerating anesthesia because he had kidney disease).

The next year, he had his teeth cleaned and it only cost 300+ (same thing with the kidney cleaning beforehand too, which cost extra). I remember one of the differences being how many teeth they had to extract accounting for some of the difference in price--at the second dental procedure they did no extractions where at the first I think six had to be performed.

I had to have Kizzy euthanized in June - cost $300 (euthanasia + ashes returned).

Thurston (euthanized + ashes returned) in July - cost $600. The difference there was that Thurston had a vet consultation and examination, x-rays and x-ray prep costs to arrive at diagnosis to arrive at recommendation for euthanasia.

All done at same vet's office. All the charges itemized so I was satisfied they weren't ripping me off but yeah, things seem to vary.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm 
protein lump

mbm, did that price include the anesthesia and everything? the actual extraction is $50/simple tooth (the teeny ones in the front) and $100/complex tooth (the canines, the ones in the back). the two we know need to be removed are complex ones.

my estimate is : hospitalization, catheter, anesthesia, intubation, cardiac/resp monitor, medical waste, medications to go home, teeth cleaning, ampicillin, torb (no idea what that is), lidocaine, the extractions, more anesthesia, suture, ketamine, diazepam, fluids, onsior, and then they threw in a full blood work up and her T4 recheck since she's due for both of those anyway (that's... slightly less than $200 for both of those). i know it's more because our vet is in the city. but i can probably call someplace outside the city to see what they would charge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need to take all three birds to the vet in the fall, or as soon as I can afford it. It's been about 3 yrs or a bit more since their last check up (other than Molly's beak incident). Ideally, I'd take Moll every year because she is much younger with fewer health base lines established and she is so tiny so seems more fragile (so I worry more).

It will probably be a solid $800 for a mid range blood workup/check up. Might need some extra tests on the tiel. The vet gives us a good deal since we go way back.

My mom usually pays for most of the bird food since she is the one who goes out and gets it so the vet bills are my deal (or should be).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

esme wrote:
mbm, did that price include the anesthesia and everything? the actual extraction is $50/simple tooth (the teeny ones in the front) and $100/complex tooth (the canines, the ones in the back). the two we know need to be removed are complex ones.

my estimate is : hospitalization, catheter, anesthesia, intubation, cardiac/resp monitor, medical waste, medications to go home, teeth cleaning, ampicillin, torb (no idea what that is), lidocaine, the extractions, more anesthesia, suture, ketamine, diazepam, fluids, onsior, and then they threw in a full blood work up and her T4 recheck since she's due for both of those anyway (that's... slightly less than $200 for both of those). i know it's more because our vet is in the city. but i can probably call someplace outside the city to see what they would charge.

Yes, that was all included in the teeth cleaning price. $200 was a special price (they do it one month out of every year), the extractions were $100 something and then the special thing for his liver.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just had Migo's teeth done, he had a few teeth extracted and the most expensive tooth was $25 I think, smaller teeth were less. His total cost including tax was less than $450. Vets in my area tend to have expensive quotes for dentals so I was really surprised at the low cost, even with a couple unexpected extractions. The blood work had been done about a month prior (and he's in good health & the vet was ok with not doing it again) so add another $100 for full blood work up for a true price idea. So it really can vary from vet to vet, even in a pricey area, and doesn't hurt to get another quote.

I worked at a clinic that kept the yearly check up and vaccine prices really low but anything beyond was astronomical. My vet is pricier for the regular stuff like exam fees, vaccines, fecal exams etc, but hospitalizations and surgeries seem much cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My cat Oliver had 14 teeth removed yesterday and it cost $390 for everything. He gets bloodwork every six months because he's FIV+ so we didn't have to do that at least. I was pleasantly surprised that it was so cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We had to take Dora, our kitty, to the emergency vet last night because we were afraid she had a UTI and might be blocked. She was licking her backside and making uncharacteristic little mews of pain when she jumped up onto things. Her pain symptoms grew worse over just a few hours, from 6pm to 11pm, which turned a regular visit into a an emergency visit.

Upon examination, the vet discovered she had a foxtail sticking out of her vagina. It was a first for the vet, who seemed to be a pretty seasoned vet. She ended up keeping Dora for the rest of the night so she could sedate her and remove the foxtails. It ended up costing $647 because they charged for boarding on top of everything else.

I think we're going to level the yard this weekend and remove all foxtails. For the cost of this one vet visit, we could hire a crew to come out and work all day.

Here's what was removed from poor Dora's vagina. Thankfully, she made a full recovery and feeling fine today. She is on a course of antibiotics. All in all, I have to say I'm grateful that we didn't discover any underlying chronic illness, like kidney disease or cancer or something else.

I have another cat going in for dental work and orthopedic x-rays on Monday....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yikes! Poor Dora! I'm glad she is okay though.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yeeouch! Sorry, Dora!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ouch! Poor Dora.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Poor kitty! Foxtails are nasty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My regular vet called to check in with me after she received Dora's records from the emergency vet -- she said Dora won the prize for first foxtail of the year. The vet mentioned that she'd had two cases of male cats having a foxtail lodged in the prepuce of the penis! Ouch ouch ouch.

Dora is doing great! She appreciated all your good wishes. We will commence foxtail mowing this weekend. It's going to be a long, hot dry summer in Northern California.