| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan cat food pros vs cons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I was contacted by the local rescue I help out over the weekend. I guess there was a vegan couple who would only adopt a cat if they could feed him/her a vegan diet. Maybe I was rude but I told her to tell them if they wanted a vegan pet get a bunny...

After reading/researching cat food for Mar when he got sick I know how bad the pet food industry can be. I do not know much about vegan cats and the only positive stuff I find is put out by the makers of the food. Can anyone point me in the direction of the good/bad of vegan cat food?

I am not one to promote a vegan diet for a cat but I would like to have knowledge in case this comes up again. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: vegan cat food pros vs cons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

All I've ever read indicates that a vegan diet is not a good idea for a cat. I'm interested to see the responses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The main issues are discussed here: http://vegancats.com/veganfaq.php. It can be done, but is not nearly as easy as feeding dogs a vegan diet, and you have to be 100% aware of the potential problems. It is less risky for female cats than males.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:02 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I researched vegan cat food when I first became a vegan. And I am just not comfortable putting my cat on a vegan diet. There is no way I could 100% monitor everything. And I believe that cats are obligate carnivores. Maybe you could suggest a food that only uses by products? For example, there is a pet food company that uses parts of an animal that was slaughtered for human consumption, but the cuts were too small to be packaged and sold, or it came from a part that wasn't going to sell. The mean would have otherwise gone to waste. It's not perfect but it is something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kal wrote:
I researched vegan cat food when I first became a vegan. And I am just not comfortable putting my cat on a vegan diet. There is no way I could 100% monitor everything. And I believe that cats are obligate carnivores. Maybe you could suggest a food that only uses by products? For example, there is a pet food company that uses parts of an animal that was slaughtered for human consumption, but the cuts were too small to be packaged and sold, or it came from a part that wasn't going to sell. The mean would have otherwise gone to waste. It's not perfect but it is something.

That sounds interesting, could you post which company that is? Thanks!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Oh shoot, it is a local company where I live. They sell at farmers markets. I'm not sure if they ship because I think the food is frozen. I haven't bought from them yet because the food is on the expensive side and I'm between jobs. I can see if they have a web site though!

Maybe there is something in your area?

EDIT: There is Addiction pet food which uses wild game. And I think the animals are considered agricultural pests and populations might be out of control? I just did a search on "humane pet food" and got what I expected which was free range food. Still trying to find a website but I have had no luck. Can't find an FB page either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I always prefer to think of it as a choice. If I let my cats choose between a bowl of veggies and a piece if meat I'm pretty sure I know which they would choose. The repercussions of messing up the nutrients in their diet would keep me from ever endorsing it too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:12 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Thanks guys.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]