| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bleeding of gums on kitten
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just wondering if there are any common reasons a little kitten could have tender gums and occasional bleeding? My new kitty is about five months old so is still pretty little, and the way that I noticed he seems to hve oral bleeding is because he got into the toilet paper stash and was biting on a roll and when I got it away from him, there was a teeny tiny little bit of blood on the marks from his tooth indentations. He is really small, and this was a new, big fat double roll of tp so I don't know if he was just attacking it too vigourously or it was too big for his mouth? I don't see anything in his moth that is making him bleed.

Anyways, I am a bit worried and just want to be sure. I am worried because he seems to love to make his own toys, and I had a woven wicker shoe rack that he would Bite into and break off the wood pieces, they were several inches long, and he would drag them arounfd in his mouth....I imagine they were kinda rough on the gums! I hope he has not done any damage to himself is all. Oy...

Post subject: Re: Bleeding of gums on kitten
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:37 pm 
protein lump

i think around 5 months is when they are teething. we got jack at 7 months and i noticed some blood when he would chew cardboard. i asked the vet and she said by 7 months, they were done teething and to just watch because he shouldn't be bleeding anymore. i think he was just a late bloomer because it stopped and he still vigorously chews boxes around the house.
you should probably call the vet to be sure.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Bleeding of gums on kitten
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks! Somehow I neglected to recall that kittens do, indeed, teethe, and now that I think of it that is almost certainly what is happening. I am going to keep an eye on it though for sure and ask a vet if anything else looks like it is suspicious.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]