| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot spots from fleas?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:48 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I found a hot spot on my hidden on my dog's back right above her tail (right where she can't reach.) It's red/raw, oozy and the hair has been pulled out. It was also scabby on some parts, like it had started to heal then became a problem again or something. Naturally I freaked out because when it comes to Sassy's health, I'm not calm and collected. A few weeks ago fleas became a problem with both dogs, and I began treating them and the house but Sassy still seems to have itchy problems.

Have your dogs ever had hot spots? What caused them, and how often are hot spots caused by fleas?

Just to let everyone know, I'm taking Sassy to the vet tomorrow... I just hoped for your experiences with this. I tend to freak out every time the dogs go to the vet because it's so FORKING expensive every time.

Post subject: Re: Hot spots from fleas?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my dog was covered with hot spots a few months ago, and the one by her tail is still mostly bald. It was a costly month, and I'm not convinced anything the vet did was all that helpful or if it all would have gone away eventually on its own. The vet seems to think it originated from a flea bite, but I've never seen a flea and I just dont think she had fleas! Plus it didnt stop after flea treatment. Anyway, over the course of a few visits she was given allergy drops (used like flea treatment), and antibiotics with steroids. I do think the steroids helped with the itching, but they also made her pee in the house like 6 times. A tiny bit of yeast showed on her skin swipe (again, I'm not convinced this was a real issue), but we did medicated baths too. Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

anything that is itchy for your dog can cause a hot spot. even if she hasnt been bitten by a flea in a while it could still be itchy if she is very sensitive or allergic to fleas. 2 out of 3 of my dogs have allergies (fleas and seasonal) so they get hotspots often. Gauge rips himself apart if he gets bit by one flea. there are some great products out there that help them heal faster that have tea tree oil in them. your dog shouldnt need to go to the vet as long as you can keep her from licking or scratching it and it doesnt get infected.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My dog has a flea allergy and even a single flea can give her a hot spot. Getting a antihistimine shot from the vet helps her stop bothering it long enough for it to calm down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

janejellyroll wrote:
My dog has a flea allergy and even a single flea can give her a hot spot. Getting a antihistimine shot from the vet helps her stop bothering it long enough for it to calm down.

My dog is allergic to everything! Beef, Wheat, dust, rag weed, and the worst is fleas! I have spent 1000's treating her outbreaks and she still gets them. When they are bad she has to be on steriods and antibiotics.
Frontline is crepe for allergic dogs. The fleas can bite the dog then die. Advantix works but you have to be careful around cats. My dog gets it in the am then has to stay out side for the whole day. My dog and cats don't really play together but if the cats sleep with me the dog is snuggled up with them. I keep the cats out of my room for the 2 days after I give her the advantix.

Sergeants makes a hot spot treatment that works ok. I also have banana wound cream that I use when they are bad. I give my dog benadryl 3 times a day during ragweed season and when the furnace is turned on at first, 2 times a day all summer-only once a day if she is just a little red on the belly during the winter. No liquid and only straight plain benadryl pills
Dosage-Pets are divided into 3 weight categories; the medication is given 3 times a day, every 8 hrs:
- 30 lbs and smaller pets: 10 mg
- 30-50 pound dogs: 25 mg
- 50 lbs and larger dogs: 50 mg