| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frustrated, back to potty training?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 am 
WRETCHED

I think there are a mix of factors which we will be changing but my dog has been pooping in his crate at night, I think it is linked to 2 things, getting oil in his meals due to dry skin and my husband going to bed earlier than usual (meaning dogs go to the bathroom earlier). I had been getting up in the middle of the night on the days my husband goes to sleep earlier and we had been giving oil for breakfast versus dinner. Last night though... he pooped and peed on his dog bed in his crate. He barked to let me know but after the fact. My husband went to bed around 1am and the dog barked around 5am. I ended up throwing the bed out as it was soaked with pee and trash day is today.

Now I'll say my dog is a beagle and he was a hard dog to potty trained, had been returned to the shelter twice due to potty training issues. Prior to this though, he had accidents once in a great while if he had diarrhea but he has never had firm poop in his crate, ever. So I do think that is related to the oil in his food because that is the only change. I just don't know what else to do. I'm hoping a new dog bed will help disassociate his bed with bathroom activities but ugh.

Post subject: Re: Frustrated, back to potty training?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:32 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Can you make dinner time earlier in the evening as well, and increase evening exercise to encourge him to go? Make sure to fully disinfect and use an enzymatic cleaner on his crate, as well as changing the bed. This can also be a sign that his crate is too big and he has room to go comfortably.

Are the poops in the crate of late reasonably firm? If it is loose and you're fairly certain its the oil thats the problem, you might need to change the kind of oil you are giving and give significantly less to give his tummy time to get used to it.

You should also consider a vet visit, to double check for parasites or things of the intestinal upset nature.

Good luck! Beagles are so stubborn....

Post subject: Re: Frustrated, back to potty training?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 am 
WRETCHED

We actually did move dinner an hour earlier which helps. I was worried since he also has somewhat of a sensitive stomach and will throw up if he doesn't eat for too long. We also know his crate is a little too big and discussed putting a box in it but so far, things have been going better.