| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My childhood cat's back leg is paralyzed...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm home in the states visiting my mom. When I moved to Europe my childhood cat Lil' Chicho stayed with my mom. I got her when I was 12 years old. I'm turning 29 next month. She is OLD. However, she always seemed to be pretty fit for her age. In the last week or so, though, her back leg has been worrying her. She broke her leg when she was only a few years old and I thought it was that, but I realize that it's the other leg (NOT the one she broke) that is virtually paralyzed at this point. It got rapidly worse in the last few days. It doesn't seem to be causing her pain, because she is very vocal when something bothers her, but it is causing her a lot of problems. She has to drag her hips across the floor. She can't get in the litter box. Now she is just under a couch sleeping. We've had to shave mats out of her hair in the last week because she can't clean herself and the dragging is causing her hair to mat up.

On the one hand I think "Well, she is still eating and drinking and she even climbed up (with her front legs) onto the couch yesterday. She's okay."

And on the other I think "She's 17 years old and losing the function of her back legs. What kind of life is that?"

I just had to euthanize Tiffany, our cat back in The Netherlands, in May because he was having trouble breathing due to inoperable cancer on his vocal cords. That was more clear cut to me. He seemed to be in a lot of pain. With Chicho right now it seems like more of a sad inconvenience, though I only assume that's because she's not howling out in pain.

I don't want to wait until she's howling out in pain to euthanize her just for my own comfort - the point is to save her from the pain - but without that signal I feel like I'm just killing my cat. This is so forking hard and shitty. :(

Post subject: Re: My childhood cat's back leg is paralyzed...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am sorry that you and Lil' Chico are going through this. Can you take her to a vet? I'd be worried about assuming she's not in pain, but I don't know much about cat paralysis.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Take her to a vet stat! I would not be assuming she is not uncomfortable/in pain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 am 
WELFARIST!

My six-year-old kitty was euthanised due to feline restrictive cardiomyopathy that progresed in him very rapidly and one of the symptoms is blood clots in the hind legs (presenting as paralysis). I'd get Lil' Chico to the vet ASAP, apparently when these clots develop they cause excruciating pain but it sounds like she needs to go to the vet anyway for whatever might be wrong (whether it's the same prob my cat had or another issue entirely--obviously I can't say myself but rear leg issues are one of the major symptoms of the condition my own cat had). If you get your cat to the vet soon enough, there is a better prognosis if it's the same issue my own cat had--possibly the problem with my situation at home was that I waited too long (I'd attributed the signs of my cat's illness to depression as he'd just lost his kitty companion so I didn't act on the signs soon enough).

However it turns out, I hope it's a good prognosis for your kitty. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We are definitely taking her to the vet this afternoon. I'm just struggling with the sad and facing the decision to have to euthanize her should the vet give a poor prognosis. We're getting ready to go now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm 

Good luck! I hope there is good news. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We just euthanized Lil' Chicho.

The vet noticed something we did not - that her pupils were dilated differently. One of the pupils wasn't responsive to stimulus and her eye was shut. That started this afternoon, but I thought it was just a scratch or an irritated eye. The vet determined it was most likely a brain tumor since the symptoms were not overnight (as in the case of a stroke).

I know we did the right thing, because Chicho just wasn't herself these last few days and couldn't control herself which she was frustrated by, but god it still forking sucks so much. I cried more than I expected myself to. This cat had been through nearly everything with me. All of my boyfriends, all of my apartments, everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Aww....I'm so sorry pickled. It's so rough. The signs are very subtle with cats, that's what my vet kept telling me through my ordeal, trying to reassure me that I couldn't have known the severity because he wasn't showing symptoms of how bad it was. I remember when I euthanized my kitty Wee'un who'd been with me since I was eighteen or so and she'd witnessed me growing up and moving on and turning into a mature woman and it was like a furry little time machine of memories in one purry little creature. It was hard to say goodbye, like saying goodbye to part of myself. Hugs to you and so sorry for your loss. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm really sorry for your loss Pickledtreats.

At least you got to say goodbye to her.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:27 pm 

I'm really sorry pickledtreats. This is an awful thing to go through. Just know that you gave her a lovely life and you were there to comfort her in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm so sorry, pickledtreats :( It sounds like she had such a lovely life with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm so sorry. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
Aww....I'm so sorry pickled. It's so rough. The signs are very subtle with cats, that's what my vet kept telling me through my ordeal, trying to reassure me that I couldn't have known the severity because he wasn't showing symptoms of how bad it was. I remember when I euthanized my kitty Wee'un who'd been with me since I was eighteen or so and she'd witnessed me growing up and moving on and turning into a mature woman and it was like a furry little time machine of memories in one purry little creature. It was hard to say goodbye, like saying goodbye to part of myself. Hugs to you and so sorry for your loss. <3 <3 <3

Thank you all for the condolences. And seitanicverses, your description of an old cat in your life as a furry little time machine is so perfect. I told my mom and we thought it completely fitting for Chicho and what she meant to us. <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm so sorry. I recently had to euthanize my oldest cat due to a skull tumor and it was so awful. i still miss him.