| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lexi is on a mission to drive me insane this evening. I got home an hour earlier than usual today because I had a training day and she is extra tired because it was particularly cold today. She tends to be that bit more tired when it's cold out. Unfortunately she is super active when she is tired and won't stop being irritating as hell until she goes up to bed. Haven't had an evening like this in a looooooong time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

acr wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I want to find all the people who litter and leave bags of dog shiitake at their front door.

seriously! i walk my friend's dog in the afternoon during the week, and she always finds garbage to eat. a lot of the time it's bread that people have left for birds, but there are so many chicken bones on the sidewalk! who's walking around eating chicken wings? she doesn't seem to know "drop it" or "leave it" at all, and she won't willingly let go of anything, but at least she doesn't fight when you try to take something out of her mouth. it's just so gross to have to reach in there and fish around for a hunk of stale bagel or whatever. and once she stepped in gum, and i spent ten minutes crouching against a building and pulling it out from between her toes with my nails, because she wouldn't walk while she could feel it on her foot. why are people so dirty?

So. My boyfriend used to live (and still has a house in) west Philly. One day he was walking home when a big tough-looking guy walking his big tough-looking fashion accessory, I mean dog, lets the dog take a huuuge shiitake right in front of the boyfriend's house and start to walk away. Something inside his head snapped, and the next memory he has is the 'OHHOLYFUCKWHATHAVEIDONE' moment the second the dog shiitake left his hand as he was flinging it at the back of the dog walker's head. He didn't see the impact, only heard it (and the subsequent "what the fork!?") as he instinctively turned and fled for his everloving life. I think the end of this story involves him hiding/crouching in someone's sideyard desperately trying to wash his nasty hand with their garden hose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yesssssss! Tiredness has gotten the better of her and she has fallen asleep in the living room. I still don't understand why she won't get into the bed she has in the living room though, she lies on the hard floor instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:02 pm 
Chip Strong

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
acr wrote:
I want to find all the people who litter and leave bags of dog shiitake at their front door.

seriously! i walk my friend's dog in the afternoon during the week, and she always finds garbage to eat. a lot of the time it's bread that people have left for birds, but there are so many chicken bones on the sidewalk! who's walking around eating chicken wings? she doesn't seem to know "drop it" or "leave it" at all, and she won't willingly let go of anything, but at least she doesn't fight when you try to take something out of her mouth. it's just so gross to have to reach in there and fish around for a hunk of stale bagel or whatever. and once she stepped in gum, and i spent ten minutes crouching against a building and pulling it out from between her toes with my nails, because she wouldn't walk while she could feel it on her foot. why are people so dirty?

So. My boyfriend used to live (and still has a house in) west Philly. One day he was walking home when a big tough-looking guy walking his big tough-looking fashion accessory, I mean dog, lets the dog take a huuuge shiitake right in front of the boyfriend's house and start to walk away. Something inside his head snapped, and the next memory he has is the 'OHHOLYFUCKWHATHAVEIDONE' moment the second the dog shiitake left his hand as he was flinging it at the back of the dog walker's head. He didn't see the impact, only heard it (and the subsequent "what the fork!?") as he instinctively turned and fled for his everloving life. I think the end of this story involves him hiding/crouching in someone's sideyard desperately trying to wash his nasty hand with their garden hose.

This is amazing. Can I date your boyfriend too?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

This is so good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:16 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Yeah, he's a weirdo, but I love him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ghostface totally almost fell off my (3rd floor) balcony today. She is always trying to give me heart attacks by tightroping on the other side of the railing, but I try to chill and tell myself that cats have amazing balance and she will never fall. And now this. Nothing even happened, she just...stumbled? And scrambled really quickly back to the safe side of the railing. Must have spooked her because she didn't go back on the danger side again the rest of the time we were out there (usually she walks around on that side until we go inside), but I wonder how long that memory will stick in her little kittybrain.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gah! One bad evening and the neighbours are complaining. Got a text from the neighbour this morning complaining about Lexi's barking and that I need to do something about it because it is a real problem for them. Got feedback from another neighbour (who listens out for Lexi when I'm not there to make sure she is ok and I done the same for her dogs in the past). She said that she has been at home everyday this week because she is on nights and her bedroom is overlooking my garden where Lexi is and hasn't heard her at all. We have a relationship where we are completely honest with each other on dog barking incase there is something not right with the dog. The other day she had to return her rescue dog because it was barking constantly all night and day and was petrified of the neighbours complaining. Flipping hate living like this!!!!

Lexi barked for a total of 2 minutes this evening.... when I got in home and her dinner when she was playing with her ball. As it is I've stopped having visitors, I keep my blinds down and go to bed at about 8pm to do everything I can to avoid her barking at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend is really interested in trying to find a home for this dog, who has had a really terrible life - he was adopted and then his owners just moved, leaving him behind. He has been in a shelter for 4 years and is beginning to suffer from the stress. I hope he finds a home, but can't help but feel like some no-kill rescues really aren't doing their dogs any favors by keeping them alive if being at a shelter makes them so stressed. This dog is 7.5, has health issues and is so anxious and has spent more than half his life in a cage.

http://www.examiner.com/article/despera ... four-years

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:58 pm 

Oh god, why did I look at that? Not just because of his story, but the links along the bottom. Puppy in a ziplock bag? Dog used for target practice? I want to throw up and am totally going to cry.

I knew better than to look, but did anyways! Damn me!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oooooh! He looks so playful and lovely! I didn't risk looking at anything other than the article.

Poor Lexi is running around the house playing with the cat. I'm sat here praying that she doesn't bark with excitement. I already turned off the TV to minimise noise and it is only 8pm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Can you get one of those high frequency barking devices? We had evil neighbors at our last apt who would complain to the management if Rhodie barked *once* in a day. They even complained on my wedding day when the dog was barking from all the excitement, and the manager threatened to kick us out. I had to buy that barking device for our own safety. It works pretty well and doesn't seem too traumatizing to him. It's not a collar, it's like a little box you can put anywhere in your house and you can adjust the range that it detects.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Will have a look around the pet shops to see if they have any. That must have been so frustrating.

Luckily, in the 40 minutes she has been playing with the cat she hasn't barked thankfully. She's let out one yelp after the cat was too rough with her at one point but otherwise she's quiet.

I'm starting to wonder if the barking from the rescue dog was mistaken for Lexi since he is only gone since Monday evening and she is being blamed in the wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Urgh! It is like Lex knows about the neighbour complaining and decided to bark lots today. She just constantly wanted to be played with all day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Finally found one of those high frequency devices in an online shop here. Going to see if the local pet shop will get one in for me though because I would rather give them the business. All that seems to be readily available here are those awful collars that give them a shock when they bark.

A few people have said judging by her past behaviour (vandalising someones van because she didn't like it being parked near her house) that I should keep Lex indoors when I'm not around just to be on the safe side. I hate that my poor pooch is going to have to endure this because she loves her time in the garden chilling out and having the freedom to run around and play.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm 

Well, I can say I would never leave my dog outside when I'm not home for more than a few minutes. Tungsten can stay outside all day if it is nice out, but I always bring him in if I have to leave unless it is literally just going to be 10-15 minutes away. Even then I worry.

Chances are if she's outside while you're away, she's not playing at all. Running around and patrolling her area, yes, but not playing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The nice neighbour has looked out a few times and she's been either playing with a toy, the cat or sleeping in her kennel. She actually likes being outside. Sometimes when I get home she is so busy playing that she hasn't noticed me come home until I have the door opened. When I'm at home then she is beside me constantly.

If I am going away only for a short few hours I will leave her inside and apparently she just sits in the window looking out waiting for me to come home. Nice neighbour lets me know because she thinks it is the cutest thing ever that she just sits upstairs in the window with a serious expression for ages waiting for me to come home.

Had a chat with some other neighbours that are very close by and they said they have never heard her. They mentioned that they had heard a dog barking quite a bit for 2 nights a few weeks back but it sounded like a smaller dog which was nice neighbours dog. They were really nice and said they would keep an ear out for her if they notice I'm not around and let me know if there is any problem.

Tried to get to the local pet supply shop today but didn't get there until they had closed because of work. I might ring them instead to see if they will get me in the barking sensor thingy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chewie just projectile vomited because he ate too fast and Bishop head-butted him while he has heaving. Gross.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I accidentally set my dog free today. I put her leash on before I opened the door, but I guess it wasn't fully clipped on (I was wearing gloves so my hands were a bit clumsy) and it came off her right after we walked outside. I didn't notice at first because she was right beside me, but then she sped up, and suddenly she was almost at the street. We always cross the street for our walk, so I was afraid she would try to cross it, and it is 4 lanes of traffic. I started screaming her name and she turned around and looked at me like, "What is your problem?" and kept going. And omg my heart felt like it was in my throat. Finally I yelled, "Tegan! Wait!" and she stopped completely and waited until I caught up to her and got her leash on and said "okay". It was like my brain had frozen and I couldn't think of any commands to yell until that point. It was so scary. I'm so glad we have been working on "wait" lately and she knows what it means! From now on, I'm always going to check that the leash is securely attached before I open the door!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yikes!!! Nothing more petrified than your dog getting loose in a place that could be dangerous.

Having a nice day watching Lexi snooze on the floor. Thankfully she is is chilled out today because last night she wanted to play constantly. Two hours of solid fetch playing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
WRETCHED

My cat is causing me anxiety! She was fine and dandy with a cat food she has been eating for a while but then she started rejecting it so then I switched her to a cat food that my mother in law gave me to try. She liked that for a couple weeks but now has started rejecting that.

I ordered 3 bags of cat food to see if she'll like one of them. She is so picky. Chicken is her favorite flavor BUT I bought her a freeze dried cat food that you rehydrate, it was chicken. She didn't eat it. If she doesn't like one of the ones we bought, I don't know what I'm going to do. We are leaving her with my in laws in a few weeks so I have to find her a new food and fast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:08 pm 

I'm sorry linanil, that's stressful!

I had a picky cat that liked her wet food microwaved for 10 seconds or so (be careful it doesn't get too hot) so it was extra smelly.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

linanil wrote:
My cat is causing me anxiety! She was fine and dandy with a cat food she has been eating for a while but then she started rejecting it so then I switched her to a cat food that my mother in law gave me to try. She liked that for a couple weeks but now has started rejecting that.

The office cat at my work is just like that! She'll like a food for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, and then she'll get tired of it and refuse to eat. And she's on medication that she has to get in her food every day, so we need her to eat. The only thing she will eat consistently is the Fancy Feast canned in the green cans (medleys I think?). I'm sure it's terrible for her, but that is the only food she doesn't get sick of.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My cat got out the day before Thanksgiving. She was on the porch for a few minutes before I saw the door open, freaked and scooped her up. Now she is obsessed with getting back out there. So she ambushed me when I came home from work today and shot out just as I was coming in. It took a few minutes and a trip into the neighbor's yard, but we got her back in. I do not like this new development!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:

The office cat at my work is just like that! She'll like a food for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, and then she'll get tired of it and refuse to eat. And she's on medication that she has to get in her food every day, so we need her to eat. The only thing she will eat consistently is the Fancy Feast canned in the green cans (medleys I think?). I'm sure it's terrible for her, but that is the only food she doesn't get sick of.

Ha, before Effie died one of the only foods she would eat was Fancy Feast in the green can, only the Wild Salmon Souffle with Garden Greens or some bullshiitake like that. What are putting in those green cans to make them so tasty?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next