| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:04 pm 
WRETCHED

Ha. My husband's office has a mouse, or multiple and they have tried to get rid of them multiple times (they caught one once... it was horrible, used a sticky trap). But now the guy either avoids the traps or they let it chill. They are just told not to leave food in their desks or out in the break room.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

strawberryrock wrote:
Olive bites me super hard at least once a day but this bite from a minute ago is all swollen. Yesterday's bite is still visible too! I need to stop petting her.

This is my problem with Molly. She is super mean these days but still wants all the snuggles. I don't understand it and I'm kind of heartbroken. My right hand and part of my arm looks like it's covered with cigarette burns from where she pinches. She has developed a unique style of pinching that hurts like hell and always draws blood and then leaves a little circular welt that scabs up.

I need a bird psychologist to tell me why my bird is such a crasshole and what I can do about it. I'm at the point where I don't even want to interact with her at all, but the less I interact with her, the meaner she gets. She still wants to be glued to me all day, snuggling and cooing until she strikes like a rattlesnake.

She seems very happy: she plays, and talks, and acts like a happy little bird. I don't get it. Also, the other two birds hate her because she is a crasshole. They give her these looks that are parrot for "is this bisque for real?!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm 
BAD PASS

Mavis was a terror today. I took her on a run this morning, but her tiredness and chill wore off while I was at work, because when I got home, she was rarin' to go. Except it was SO HOT and no one was going to even be at the dog park for her to play with anyway. I prepped dinner (needed to chill the stuff before blending because steam, since I only have a Nutribullet) and the whole time she was under my feet, tripping me and whining. I tried to sit down on the couch but she kept trying to get in my lap, and it's way too hot for that! She wouldn't get off when I tried to nudge her off and it was super duper annoying.

I finally gave in and took her to the park after it cooled down a bit, where there was just a very elderly dog and some kind of doodle that was afraid of other dogs. So she just laid in front of the water dish until we left.

I need a doggie treadmill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aw, Mavis, give your mama a break. Bless her.

I bought Pedro one of those cooling mats, the ones where they're filled with gel that goes super cold when pressure is applied. Because he gets hot in the summer and I want him to be comfortable. Well, he decided to repeatedly jump on it and made a hole in it so now it won't work. Way to peas on your chips, Pedro.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 am 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday morning on my way to work, I found out my first dog, who we got when I was 16, died. He was old at almost 15, but you're just never ready. I spent the entire day at work, crying on and off, and just really trying to hold it together. I got home, ran to my bed and broke down, at which point my dog, Harley, hopped up on the bed with me, and kept pawing at me trying to figure out what was wrong.

When I didn't respond, he got up, went off, and a few seconds later, came back with one of his bones, which he gently nudged into my chest. I guess he figured since it makes him happy, perhaps it would do the same for me.

I wish he'd do that with the bottle of bourbon, but still, his sweetness broke my heart.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Jerusalem, that is so sweet. Dogs are the best, they always pick us up when we're down. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:23 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

That's so sweet of Harley! I'm so sorry about your old pup. It's the worst thing ever.

Last night I was watching a horror movie and there was a scene with lots of buzzing flies and Pepper jumped up out of a deep sleep at the sound because she thought it was huntin' time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:58 am 
Nailed to the V

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
That's so sweet of Harley! I'm so sorry about your old pup. It's the worst thing ever.

Last night I was watching a horror movie and there was a scene with lots of buzzing flies and Pepper jumped up out of a deep sleep at the sound because she thought it was huntin' time.

hehe Pepper sounds hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:49 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly just got her wings clipped (again) today. Maybe it will mellow her out. I also got some more advice on dealing with her.

The woman couldn't believe that Molly was on her back curled in my hand most of the time we were talking, especially considering our trust issues (well mine--Molly clearly trusts me completely and without reservation; I dont trust her one jot.)

Basically, Molly is a bully who gets her way too often and now that her behavior is causing alienation, she is getting angry that she isn't getting attention, so she is being more of a bully.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm 
BAD PASS

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

So yesterday I was looking for this specific email from last year, trying to figure out what words to search to find it, and I couldn't remember the guy's name...but for some reason I kept thinking of you when I tried to think of his name. I was like, "Okay, his name definitely is NOT Erika...where is that coming from?"

Today I figured it out -- his name is Pepper! (And the email turned out not to helpful, but at least I solved the mystery)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So I've adopted a cat.
My uncle is in and out of hospital having chemo and could no longer look after her so I'm now with cat. I fostered her as a kitten (she was a stray) before re-homing her to my uncle anyway and I think she remembers me! She is absolutely terrified of the dogs so living in the spare bedroom at the moment but she's so sweet. She purrs around me and lets me stroke her already which is great, and yesterday she even rolled on to her back for me to tickle her tummy.
She is about ten years old, and I'm really glad to have her, she's got a lovely personality. I just hope I can get her used to the dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:23 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Hollie wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

So yesterday I was looking for this specific email from last year, trying to figure out what words to search to find it, and I couldn't remember the guy's name...but for some reason I kept thinking of you when I tried to think of his name. I was like, "Okay, his name definitely is NOT Erika...where is that coming from?"

Today I figured it out -- his name is Pepper! (And the email turned out not to helpful, but at least I solved the mystery)

I just saw this and that's really funny!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:03 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Poor Biscuit has an upset tummy today. She had diarrhea on her potty pad during the night and threw up in the morning. Normally when I give her breakfast she tears into it, but today she was just looking up at me with this guilty, sad face, like she knew she shouldn't be pooping inside. Poor thing! I gave her lots of kisses and that cheered her up enough to eat. She's at work with me now and really sad and tired, and still having runny poops when I take her out. She wasn't with me at the office yesterday, so she wasn't slipped any human food that could have caused this. My only guess is that she found something old and nasty under the couch or something and ate it while she was home alone.

I'm gonna give her some pumpkin later on and hopefully she'll start feeling better. If not, vet time!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Poor little Biscuit. Dachshunds are terrible for eating things they're not meant to, my Mum's doxie (Minnie) was in the vets for over a week recently after eating something from a neighbour's rubbish bag. I hope Biscuit feels better soon, it's the saddest thing in the world seeing poorly doglets.

Cat update - she saw the dogs today and didn't arch her back or hide under the bed. We are making progress.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So Biscuit stopped throwing up after the first day, and really perked up again, but her diarrhea never went away. I cut out her kibble and even her pill pockets and have been feeding her really basic food- rice, pumpkin, banana, and I even bought plain frozen chicken (yuck). I also gave her small amounts of plain yogurt (kite hill), with a little maple syrup mixed in, to help get some cultures in her belly. She is frickin loving her new diet but her poops are still runny, and I'm noticing that her personality is starting to flag again- like she's kind of tired of having the runs. The most alarming thing to me is that I realized yesterday that she looks like she's lost weight.

So I called first thing this morning and we've got the first appointment for tomorrow morning. She's staying hydrated (I do the skin pinch test), so that's not an issue. My poor old lady!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:55 am 
WRETCHED

Good luck Biscuit!

Next week Maggie goes for her checkup. With the meds she is taking for Cushing's, she has to find the right level so they start at a low dose, then test, then see if it is working at normal levels, if not, they up the dose.

I am happy to report that she has been panting a lot less. She had a panting for no reason episode yesterday but that was her first real one since she started taking her meds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Welp, you know how it goes- the second you make an appointment with the vet your dog rallies and makes a miraculous recovery! Biscuit was back in full force last night, had no accidents/emergencies during the night, and didn't even give me a stool sample this morning to bring in to the doctor! I'm not complaining, though, I'm just glad she's feeling better. The vet was thrilled that she'd lost about half a pound, and gave her some meds to help settle her stomach further.

I'm now pretty sure it was the hickory-flavored pill pockets. I thought when they arrived that I had mistakenly ordered the wrong flavor, but I just re-checked the order and I hadn't. It looks like the box was mislabeled as peanut butter when the insides were all hickory. I chatted to a nice person at Amazon who is letting me return the other 5 unopened bags for a refund! Woo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Isn't that always the way. We got a bag of pb treats once that looked and smelled different and have Bigby the runs. We think that they put chicken flavored treats into a bag labeled peanut butter because we had bought the chicken ones before and had the same problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

We taught Bigby "push the ball" and he pushes a ball with his nose. Today I took him to my husbands work to get treats from his coworkers and we got him to "push the ball" with someone's yoga ball chair. It was so cute to see a tiny dog pushing a giant ball with his nose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

That sounds really cute!

Biscuit is totally back to 100% again- as soon as we walked in the office door this morning, she made a beeline to a desk where a co-worker was eating breakfast to see if she could scrounge/beg anything. Thankfully everyone has been warned to ignore her pleading eyes!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm putting a paved patio in my backyard, but right now it's just a big square hole that I've dug out. Biscuit found something interesting in the dirt and was really obsessing over it. She was kind of pawing at it and pushing her face in it like she was trying to eat it, which she normally does with something really gross and smelly at the park, so I snatched her up and brought her inside. Then she ran out before I could close the door again, so I thought maybe she just really had to pee, but nope- straight back to the nasty spot. Very unlike her!

This morning I realized Pepper wasn't inside, and she usually doesn't linger after doing her business, so I looked outside and she's worrying at that same spot! I can't figure out what it is- it just looks like slightly darker soil, like maybe an oil stain or something wet. Pepper's muzzle was dirty and she had dirt in between her teeth- eeww! And it smelled nasty. So I might have to do a little more digging to figure out what the hell it is. Although I may not want to know, the more I think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bogey jumped on my husband's lap yesterday, which he NEVER does because his back is pretty much an arthritic mess. I think the daily Tramadol he's taking is helping a lot. He is also walking more...he used to go no more than half a block in any direction, but now he goes much further and stops the smell the flowers, nibble on some grass..

In other news, do any of you ever find your dog's poop to be cold when you pick it up? The first couple of pieces will be body temperature, then he lets go of another one, and...it's cold!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 pm 
WRETCHED

Maggie had a recheck on her bloodwork given her meds and she is right where they want her :) She has definitely improved.

Winston started becoming crate averse last week after using a crate for 8 years. He started refusing to go in and would pant when we coaxed him in. We had been trying various techniques (bought him a new bed, put him in a bigger crate, got up in the middle of the night to let him out, gave him back massages, did various treat reinforcements with the crate, etc) but the last straw was when I left for 45 minutes to go to the doctor and his crate was in disarray with a pile of drool. He was fine when I put him in the crate and he didn't bark as I was leaving. We took him to the doctor because we think he might've been in pain from his back. She gave us an anti inflammatory and a pain killer. He had an excellent night last night, went right into his crate and fell asleep and then when I woke up this morning, he was in no hurry to get out of his crate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:40 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I was walking one of my dogs the other day outside the office, and she was stopped sniffing a fire hydrant or something as this older couple of retired tourists walked by and the man said "she's gotta check her PEE-MAIL." and was so pleased with his Dad Joke, I couldn't help but smirk a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:42 am 
BAD PASS

One of Mavis's eyes has been red and drippy since yesterday. I called the vet, and this is the second time I've called them and was told "Oh, well, there's no vet here today." Umm. What?

I'm supposed to call them on Monday, but I guess I need to find a new vet?

Going to PetSmart to get her some dog eye drops. Blurg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next