| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I hope Mavis is ok!

I am sad that parrots are such crassholes. The cockatiel is 20 in November. She has had a really hard time lately. She is walking around the floor a lot because she tries to fly but can't make her landings.

We've been helping her and giving her extra attention lately (usually she is aloof in a friendly way, but she seems to want affection lately). As a result, the macaw now chases her away from him. They've shared the cage during the day for the past 15 years with no issues! Now, he won't let her come over.

Molly watches and copies the macaw, so now she is doing it to. Today, both of them went after the poor cockatiel, attacking at her tail.

They both know she is weak right now and instead of going about as usual, they are going out of their way to be cruel and aggressive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:35 pm 
BAD PASS

The eye drops I bought from PetCo were apparently worth the $25 the damned bottle cost. Within a few hours of putting it in her eye, it cleared up completely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We are taking the tiel to the vet tomorrow. Scared.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

lavawitch wrote:

How did it go? Is she doing okay?

Randomness: turns out my puppy really loves kale. I've been using some leftover steamed kale to plug the opening of his kong and make it more of a challenge to get to his kibble and keep it interesting, and he is DELIGHTFUL. He sits there licking the kale, nibbling the kale, and so on. I can't get over it. It's adorable and hilarious, and I am so happy my dog loves kale, even if most of my friends mock it. My dog is my TRUE soulmate ;)

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Ariel farted SO LOUD, you guys. She farted so loud she woke herself up and then had to come over to me to get pets because she was mildly scared of being woken up by her own farting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hahahahaha! That's awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:54 pm 

That is amazing :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

DarthCupcake wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

How did it go? Is she doing okay?

Randomness: turns out my puppy really loves kale. I've been using some leftover steamed kale to plug the opening of his kong and make it more of a challenge to get to his kibble and keep it interesting, and he is DELIGHTFUL. He sits there licking the kale, nibbling the kale, and so on. I can't get over it. It's adorable and hilarious, and I am so happy my dog loves kale, even if most of my friends mock it. My dog is my TRUE soulmate ;)

Rhodie loves kale too! One time I was separating the leaves from the ribs and a rib fell on the ground. He pounced on it and took it under the kitchen table where he proceeded to crunch it until it was a sopping mushy stick. He didn't really eat it but he really likes the chewing aspect. So cute!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

She died before we could take her. We are pretty devastated, but we can see how she spent her last week basically telling us she loved us. The night before she kept chirping at me after bedtime (happy sounding chirps), which she never does, so since she had seemed a bit needy, I took her out and snuggled with her while I was still up reading, for about an hour. It was the first time she ever wanted anything like that. She was a total sweetheart, but not really cuddly or overtly affectionate. She had her own ways of being integrated into the family--lots of contact calls, her routines, etc. It is amazing how empty the house can feel without one small bird.

She got up normally with my mom, and died fairly soon after.

We had her cremated at a local funeral home. They do a very lovely, compassionate job for pets. We had her back the next day and they gave us a beautiful certificate. It was everything she deserved.

It wasn't our concern, but we discovered that they were cheaper than the vet, but we would have paid more. I'd recommend looking into such a place of anyone has the need. It was really nice knowing she was only treated as our beautiful little sweetheart, all in one place, by people who cared, and not sent out impersonally by a vet clinic. Obviously a horrible topic, but the care they took and knowing we did our best by her has made it all just that much easier to cope with.

I'm trying to focus on the positives. She was over 20, and she had excellent quality of life until she started declining the past few weeks. She was still eating and happy and vocal as normal until the end. She seemed to be very in control of her last week, especially in her interactions with us. In the end, we really couldn't ask for more for her.

Intellectualizing doesn't really help though; hurts like hell.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:16 pm 

Awww, lw, I'm so sorry for your loss. That's great that you found such a great place for the cremation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm so sorry lava! <3 <3 <3 I cremate my animals as well. I will keep the tip about funeral homes in mind. Sorry for your loss and hugs to you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:49 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm sorry about your tiel LW.

Tonight was the first time I've ever been seriously worried about any of my babies (minus surgery worries). Winston (the beagle) wasn't eating his dinner with gusto and I guess I should've pulled it from him when I realized something was wrong. He was acting funny when I figured out that he probably needed to throw up so I stayed with him and then he wanted to outside but not down the stairs so I picked him up and took him near the door. He just wanted to sit there so I stayed with him and directed him where to vomit (towels I had set up for him).

He looks to be feeling better now and is taking a nap. Hubby is coming home with some eggs for him and I'm making him rice for tomorrow breakfast. He has had some diarrhea, now soft stool for about a day. I was really worried about him before he threw up though because he was totally acting like a different dog and the vet had just closed when I realized something was wrong. I'll probably sleep near him tonight just to watch him although I'm sure he'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

linanil wrote:
I'm sorry about your tiel LW.

Tonight was the first time I've ever been seriously worried about any of my babies (minus surgery worries). Winston (the beagle) wasn't eating his dinner with gusto and I guess I should've pulled it from him when I realized something was wrong. He was acting funny when I figured out that he probably needed to throw up so I stayed with him and then he wanted to outside but not down the stairs so I picked him up and took him near the door. He just wanted to sit there so I stayed with him and directed him where to vomit (towels I had set up for him).

He looks to be feeling better now and is taking a nap. Hubby is coming home with some eggs for him and I'm making him rice for tomorrow breakfast. He has had some diarrhea, now soft stool for about a day. I was really worried about him before he threw up though because he was totally acting like a different dog and the vet had just closed when I realized something was wrong. I'll probably sleep near him tonight just to watch him although I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ugh, that sort of thing is scary. He sounds a little bit bloat-y - if his abdomen is distended I would get thee to a vet but does not sound like that will be a problem.

Tungsten (avatar dog) has had diarrhea on and off for a couple of days. Only discerned that it has been his issue today, though. Made him a vet appointment for the weekend but in the meantime will see if he straightens out with a 24 hour fast and a day or so of white rice and canned pumpkin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:26 am 
WRETCHED

Winston is pretty prone to stomach issues but generally bounces back in a day but this time seems worse, mostly because he is always interested in food but right now he seems content with drinking water. We have never fasted him because he tends to throw up bile when he doesn't eat but he seems ok right now despite having thrown up everything and not eating after. His stomach also isn't distended but we'll watch him to see if a vet appointment is in order.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:49 am 
WRETCHED

Winnie is doing well, he ate breakfast with gusto but I didn't give him too much. I had given him a little water with himalayan salt in the middle of the night just to make sure he stayed hydrated but I did the normal hydration tests I saw online and it seems he wasn't showing signs of dehydration.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:27 pm 
WRETCHED

Got medication from the vet because his diarrhea is really just water. He seems to be hydrated, still drinking water, still interested in food. Gave him some more water today with salt to help him out a little.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 pm 

Awww, best wishes to Winston! I hope he feels better soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:50 am 
WRETCHED

So Maggie had her 1 month checkup on her medication and I took Winston in as well. The vet says he looks good (and my slightly lethargic boy was all bundle of energy at the vet... go figure). He is staying there the day with Maggie and they hope to get a stool sample from him while he is there. The vet is going to give me a canned food for Winston to take home.

I was thinking in general that the best laid plans never seem to work out. My dogs who were both on vegan dog food, now only 1 of them due to stomach issues even prior to this diarrhea episode. Maggie is eating Winston's leftovers of non-vegan foods that failed with Winston mixed with her vegan food. And now Winston is incorporating yet another non-vegan food into his diet. My cats, not vegan, used to get high quality, limited ingredient, natural kibble but nope. Lola rejects almost everything and when she is on a cat food for more than a couple months, it is a miracle. I found a food she absolutely loves and it is by Purina. So yeah, my cats and dogs seem to ruin my plans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm 

Linanil, my cat rejects the high quality stuff and only wants Friskies. I have given up!

The doggle had his first day of daycare yesterday and I loved it. First off, they have webcams, so I watched him during my workday :D The staff were SO AMAZING, too. Then when he got home last night, he helped lick plates as I loaded them into the dishwasher, but as soon as I sat down on the couch, he flopped down on my lap and was OUT. I mean OUT COLD. He slept like a log while I read, and then continued to sleep as I melted down the couch and also fell asleep with him as the little spoon, where we slept until my boyfriend got home at 10:30. Quick pee break and back to sleep!

I hope he'll have a LITTLE more energy in the evenings in the future so I can play with him more, but then again, I have no complaints whatsoever about my dog wanting to just snuggle up on the couch while I read. So cozy and nice :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Since our Nef died, the macaw has been makin a creepy keening sound 24/7. Most is is soft, but I can hear it in another room. My mom can't seem to hear it unless he gets loud. He is acting ok but of course he is upset. I feel mean but it is driving me bat shiitake bonkers.

Talking or cuddling doesn't stop it and he is doing it while playing. I want to help him and am worried.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:30 am 
BAD PASS

Has anyone had a dog go through heartworm treatment?

A few months after I got Mavis, she tested positive, but it was apparently a very "low" positive (?) so they wanted her re-tested in 6 months. She's getting re-tested today, and I'm convinced she's going to test positive. For no other reason than believing that if something bad CAN happen, it will. I'm trying to prepare myself for the diagnosis, but reading online is NOT helping. Articles about it are all over the spectrum from "it won't be a walk in the park or anything, but your dog will be fine" to "Your dog is definitely going to suffer horribly and die."

I'm just so nervous, and I won't find out anything until next week, so it'll be a whole weekend of worrying. GAH.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hollie wrote:
Has anyone had a dog go through heartworm treatment?

Yes, several (not personally, but dogs at work). They get a series of injections over a period of months. All of the dogs we treated came through it fine. The worst parts are the $$$ and the fact that you have to keep them still and quiet for months during the treatment (no running around off-leash, etc. VERY difficult for active dogs). But we've never had any issues medically.

For low positive dogs, they sometimes do a "slow-kill" method, which is just keeping them on the monthly heartworm preventative pills.

Hopefully Mavis tests negative!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:08 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

One of my cats had to go through some blood tests for relatively minor stuff but needs looking at (mostly preventatively for later complications) as she gets older. I was meant to get a phone call today with the first results and the rest next week, but just realised I didn't get a call tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:05 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Since our Nef died, the macaw has been makin a creepy keening sound 24/7. Most is is soft, but I can hear it in another room. My mom can't seem to hear it unless he gets loud. He is acting ok but of course he is upset. I feel mean but it is driving me bat shiitake bonkers.

Talking or cuddling doesn't stop it and he is doing it while playing. I want to help him and am worried.

Oh no! I'm so sorry, LW, both for the obvious pain the macaw is experiencing, and for the very understandable annoyance/frustration you're dealing with. You're also mourning Nef, and having an additional stressor is obviously going to be upsetting/aggravating/bonkers-driving. I hope he comes through it soon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm taking Molly to the vet next week for her yearly. We need the macaw's sneezing checked out, so may as well schlep them both the 4hr round trip.

I think I'll make up an algorithm to calculate how much Molly's continued good health is worth to me based on how much she bites me this week. I'll tell the vet I can't possibly pay more than $xxx.xx based on my wound accumulation by Friday morning. I'll be fair and start the tally tomorrow since she already has 3 bites against her for today.

I just explained all of this to Molly and she said: "Hi baby. I love you." I think this means she agrees with my plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next