| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:48 pm 
BAD PASS

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Hollie wrote:
Has anyone had a dog go through heartworm treatment?

Yes, several (not personally, but dogs at work). They get a series of injections over a period of months. All of the dogs we treated came through it fine. The worst parts are the $$$ and the fact that you have to keep them still and quiet for months during the treatment (no running around off-leash, etc. VERY difficult for active dogs). But we've never had any issues medically.

For low positive dogs, they sometimes do a "slow-kill" method, which is just keeping them on the monthly heartworm preventative pills.

Hopefully Mavis tests negative!

It's the keeping her still and quiet part that would be the most challenging. I refer to her as a "never-tired." Even this morning -- I took her to the dog park for an hour, then played with her in the yard after that and she was still bouncing off the walls (fairly literally - she does this thing where she runs and rockets herself into the back of the couch, then back to the far wall and back again). If it happens, it's gonna be so hard for her, poor baby.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Fingers crossed for you and Mavis. I knew a dog who did that wall thing once; it was hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:43 am 
WRETCHED

Hollie wrote:
It's the keeping her still and quiet part that would be the most challenging. I refer to her as a "never-tired." Even this morning -- I took her to the dog park for an hour, then played with her in the yard after that and she was still bouncing off the walls (fairly literally - she does this thing where she runs and rockets herself into the back of the couch, then back to the far wall and back again). If it happens, it's gonna be so hard for her, poor baby.

Winston does that once in a while, or something that sounds like that. We call it being 'zoned'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:29 am 
BAD PASS

It came back positive. She goes in for bloodwork on Friday.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Poor Mavis (and you). I hope she gets through this as easily as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:44 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Poor Mavis! I hope she'll be okay!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:01 pm 
BAD PASS

They want to start treatment ASAP. I have a trip to visit my dad planned next month, and I was going to bring her with me, but now I don't know. I wish I could cancel the trip, because I just really don't want to go at all. Maybe my dad will be okay with my moving it.

(Earlier in the year we had a big issue because my stepmother didn't want me to bring Mavis because of their new floors, and she caused a big to-do and made me feel guilty for saying that would make it less likely I could go visit, before she relented -- I'm worried that whole thing having happened will make it harder for me to cancel)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 pm 

Hollie, you need to take care of Mavis, and anyone who would hold against you the fact that you are taking care of a sick family member, regardless of species, is being awful. They need to either let you shift it, or let you bring Mavis (if that's possible, with her situation--I am unfamiliar with whether or not that would be a bad strain for her!).

I'm sorry that a shitty situation is adding anxiety for you :(

My randomness/gush: Finn has been hanging out with me and my buddy all night while we watched the debate, and he follows me all around the house and waits outside while I'm in the bathroom and it just makes my heart swell so much how much having him around brings joy and goodness into my life. I was feeding him chilled carrots and celery sticks throughout the night and he was so happy and grateful for them, and it just overwhelms me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:12 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Biscuit was having a wild dream with lots of running and barking and barked so loud she woke herself up. The look on her face was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hehehe biscuit!!!
DC, I'm so happy you and finn are doing so well!! Yay!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Orion brought back fleas from his last dog hotel stay, even though I am diligent with his spot-on :((( He looks so uncomfortable, scratching and biting at himself all day. Has anyone dealt with fleas before? We already sprayed + fumigated the house over the weekend, vacuumed, boiled all the textiles, bathed him and reapplied flea medication, and we'll repeat for 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh, Aelle, I empathise. My friend has Pedro once a week and he came back with fleas (and passed them on to Bebe) last week even though he was up to date with spot on. I've washed all their and our bedding, hoovered, bathed him and applied calamine lotion where he had been scratching. So frustrating. Someone reccommended oatmeal baths to ease the scratching in the meantime but I haven't tried that yet as he isn't scratching anywhere near as much. I hope your little guy is ok soon.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hollie - I hope Mavis' treatment goes well. Like DC said, you shouldn't let anyone make you feel bad for cancelling to look after your pup if that's what you think is best. Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do, though!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Biscuit was having a wild dream with lots of running and barking and barked so loud she woke herself up. The look on her face was priceless.

Cute! I love doggie dreams! Sometimes Nola gets up from a snooze suddenly but is still kind of asleep for a few seconds and starts digging the sofa and I wonder if she's been dreaming about digging.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:56 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The birds go to bed at 9pm, but I don't get home until 9:30 on my GED class nights. My mom puts Molly to bed with the cover/blanket on, but the cage door open. She goes in to bed sometimes, but right near 9:30, my mom says she rushes out and starts pacing in circles waiting for me. It's so sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:57 pm 

I'm home sick today, but I dropped Finn off at daycare this morning anyways, because since I knew I'd spend most of the day passed out and sniffly on the couch, I didn't want to feel bad about not playing with him and giving him exercise and stimulation. However, for the first time ever, he didn't want to leave me this morning! He usually is so excited to go into the daycare and play with all his pup friends, but when the staff took his leash, he kept pulling and trying to get back to me. It's like he knew I was going to be home and he wanted to stay with me. I felt so guilty! But also loved. I'm going to head out shortly and pick him up early so we can have quality snuggle time. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm so glad you found a good place for Finn to be while you work! yay!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 am 
BAD PASS

The vet called to say they actually don't have any immiticide to treat heartworm (whoops?), and it will be 1-4 weeks before we can start Mave's treatment.

This would not be terribly troubling, had I not asked if it would be possible to wait until after our trip to start treatment and been told it could be dangerous to wait.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:13 am 
Discovered unobtainium

New vet?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:12 am 
BAD PASS

Oh yes. I found one.

I am taking a half day and bringing her in today. This vet sounds like they have their shiitake together so much more than the old one. They test it while I wait instead of sending it off somewhere. And they will start treatment TODAY if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:45 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's good.

At vet now with our two miscreants. They are being very good so far. The screaming with start soon, I'm sure. The macaw screams before the vet does anything. Poor guy is getting himself into a tizzy-his little face is turning pink.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:01 pm 
BAD PASS

Oh, gosh, I feel ya. Mavis was a rowdy whiny jerk while we were waiting!

Currently shocked at the difference between these two vets. The second vet is ...uh, ten thousand times better at being a vet. They do blood work in house with results in less than 10 minutes (other vet sends it somewhere for testing and it takes two days). They had the medication already and she stayed there because her treatment started immediately. She had to stay and I'm home alone and sad, but at least she's getting taken care of and it'll be over sooner. The other vet said the wait may be as much as 4 weeks for the medication. They also quoted the cost at being $1500. The good vet gave me a quote too -- $500 and change.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The birds were so good. We could hear the macaw give a yell or two, but they were mostly annoyed sounding. He liked the vet. He stepped right onto her arm. And then she grabbed him around the neck. Hah. He was a bit pissed at that.

Molly was so calm that the vet commented on her not having elevated blood pressure. They actually had trouble getting her blood drawn. Birds don't have a lot of blood.

Home now and everybody is eating and happy. We feel good to have everybody checked out. $750 for both, including all the blood work and beak trimming, so it could have been worse. I'm relieved about that too!

Wow-huge difference. I'm glad you found this better vet. I hope Mavis is doing ok. When can she come home?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:25 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hollie wrote:
Oh, gosh, I feel ya. Mavis was a rowdy whiny jerk while we were waiting!

Currently shocked at the difference between these two vets. The second vet is ...uh, ten thousand times better at being a vet. They do blood work in house with results in less than 10 minutes (other vet sends it somewhere for testing and it takes two days). They had the medication already and she stayed there because her treatment started immediately. She had to stay and I'm home alone and sad, but at least she's getting taken care of and it'll be over sooner. The other vet said the wait may be as much as 4 weeks for the medication. They also quoted the cost at being $1500. The good vet gave me a quote too -- $500 and change.

To be fair to your first vet about blood work, a lot of vet clinics can not do full blood testing in house, and most have to send away blood for results on at least some testing.

But as to everything else - yay to new vet! At least you've got an account at two places now and you can always go to the old one if you are in a bind for something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:52 am 
BAD PASS

Ooooohkay. Nothing much to report. I picked her up at 9 this morning and they said she was doing fine, but it's imperative that she stays calm and has pretty much zero activity (which I already knew, because I've read every single possible thing about treating h-worm the internet has to offer). She has some meds she has to take twice a day, but she had them at the vet, so I won't have the adventure of getting her to take them until this evening.

She's sleeping in my bed now, after partying down with some frozen wet food I (disgustingly) stuffed inside a spent marrow bone. She goes back in two weeks for another round of treatment and an overnight stay.

I'm on high alert for anything out of the ordinary, and I'm staying home with her as much as I can. Please send cupcakes.

Thank you for all the support and encouragement, PPK. I love you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bogey was shivering like a leaf this morning. It wasn't cold or anything, so I am very worried about him. And I made the mistake of googling it, which is how I now know it's a sign of the late stages of kidney failure. I'm not ready to let him go!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next