| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Morgyn wrote:
Mia seems to have decided that stealing food off my fork, on the way to my mouth, is appropriate behaviour for a cat.

Guess it's my fault for eating at the computer with her in my lap.

This is very normal bird behavior.

Molly takes a lot of baths, unlike tiels, so she always has water up her nose, I suppose. The macaw is a little allergic to the tiel when she is molting, so he sneezes a lot then, poor guy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

strawberryrock wrote:
It's weird because that makes it seem like Effie died so long ago--Olive was born six days after Effie died--but it feels like it just happened.

I feel the same way about Sable. The memories of sitting in the vet hospital with her are so strong that it feels like it was just a few weeks ago, but it's been over 7 months now. It's always a bit of a shock when I realise exactly how long it has been.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:47 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've been laid up in bed with a back that's pulled and the cats have been such good nurses. They've been at my side, cuddling, nuzzling and purring to calm me down the whole time. I was sleeping on my back the first day I put my back out and couldn't move - Tristan "wrapped" himself around my head on my pillow and gently purred in my ear. It was the best medicine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's so sweet!

Is your back doing better?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:15 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

It's doing okay! Not perfect, but I can walk now. I know you know back problems better than any of us! You don't realize how much you use your back for every movement until you can't use it. Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I hope you get better soon PP but at least you can stock up on cuddles while you can.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:14 am 
Discovered unobtainium

paprikapapaya wrote:
It's doing okay! Not perfect, but I can walk now. I know you know back problems better than any of us! You don't realize how much you use your back for every movement until you can't use it. Thanks for asking.

I've had my share, for sure, but I don't think too many of us avoid them! At least my pain is mostly arthritis/skeletal, not muscular. It limits my mobility a lot, but it doesn't actually hurt the way pulled back muscles can.

Did you try muscle relaxants? They suck and make me sleep for 16 hrs, but one to two days of those can help a lot compared to just toughing t out. I think the crappiest part is that being in back pain makes you tense and not move (no, shiitake), but that also makes the pain worse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:48 am 
Impressive boner

Today marks one year since we lost Professor Barnaby Saruman Falcor-Healey. He was a rambunctious old man, similar in character to Leslie Phillips.

The photo was taken about a week before he died. I'd given him his favourite baby plum tomatoes (hence the red chops) and he kept smiling at me, but I couldn't take a picture in time to catch his smiles. I miss his 'unique' smell, his big flappy ears and the way he used to sashay around.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ohh R.I.P. sweet pig :-(

while i do find the passing of time to help i dont seem to ever get over losing a pig. i still miss the one in my avatar terribly.

Professor Barnaby looks like a sweetie pie. he looks like a PEW?
he looks like he had semi long hair too.

R.I.P. Professor Sir you were a good pig <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:02 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lavawitch wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I've had my share, for sure, but I don't think too many of us avoid them! At least my pain is mostly arthritis/skeletal, not muscular. It limits my mobility a lot, but it doesn't actually hurt the way pulled back muscles can.

Did you try muscle relaxants? They suck and make me sleep for 16 hrs, but one to two days of those can help a lot compared to just toughing t out. I think the crappiest part is that being in back pain makes you tense and not move (no, shiitake), but that also makes the pain worse.

gahhh back problems are the worst. first you do something to your back to make it broken and then all you want to do is lie down and wait for it to get better but lying down is painful too :-(

i hope you start to feel better soon.

i also have taken muscle relaxers when ive done something super bad to my back like throw it out and then i kept all the extra pills and have been known to take them when ive had a lot of pain but didnt do something specific like pull something or throw it out.

certainly not a habit anyone wants to get into but it can help temporarily so you can get up and move around.
i also went to the chiro but i think that really depends on what you've done to yourself.

get better soon and yay for snuggly kitties! <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:15 am 
Impressive boner

LisaPunk wrote:
ohh R.I.P. sweet pig :-(

while i do find the passing of time to help i dont seem to ever get over losing a pig. i still miss the one in my avatar terribly.

Professor Barnaby looks like a sweetie pie. he looks like a PEW?
he looks like he had semi long hair too.

R.I.P. Professor Sir you were a good pig <3

I'm not 100% sure as he was a rescue pig, but I think he was part Himalayan, part PEW. He had brown hair on his ears, one brown foot and a little brown smudge at the side of his nose. He had a long tail too, which he often tried to turn into a dreadlock! He was a terror at times, wiping his bum AND his ejaculate on me and peeing in my crotch (I'd been cuddling him and had picked him up to put him back into his enclosure, I guess he couldn't hold it any longer. Bad timing!).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

feisty pigs are the best! :-D

ive always wanted a Himi pig but i cant bring myself to buy one. maybe one day ill come across one in a rescue.
he may have been part of a litter that was trying to be himis but his markings didnt come out right. whatever he was he was a handsome boy <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gorgeous piggy.

Poor PP..... make sure you sleep lots. My doctor said that is the best thing for muscular back pain. He prescribed me some muscle relaxants that are meant to make you sleep lots when my back went into spasm before. Unfortunately the drove me really dotty and I ended up cycling a bike around the estate at midnight in my minnie mouse pjs despite not being on a bike in about 20years and barely able to walk. The pain did go after a couple of days though.

Lexi is driving me crazy today. I went out in the lashing rain and gave her a really good long walk. I even left her off the leash so she got a really good run since she is getting really good at returning to me again. Despite that she has been yapping so much today that I am now nursing an earache and I feel miserable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lexi is still being annoying. She has been yapping most of the evening. She was fine until somebody's car alarm was going off. It wound her up something wicked and the longer it kept alarming the worse she got. It eventually stopped but she didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Okay so my mom's dog Ginger has some anxiety issues, but usually as long as someone is home she is fine, she'll snuggle in my bed and lap up attention. Ive seen her cry for like a minute when my mom leaves but gets over it when she realizes I'm still here. I took her on a walk down the street and during the walk we saw my mom going the opposite direction and we stopped and chatted and she kept going and Ginger planted herself and kept looking behind her pitifully like "why is she leaving me?" And now we've been home 10 minutes and she hasn't stopped whining and pawing at the pet gate that blocks the front door. Her devotion is admirable and pretty annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ugh, my dog took an entire box of PG Tips, opened each one, and dumped all the contents on the dining room floor. And she did this in the span of about 4 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Ugh, my dog took an entire box of PG Tips, opened each one, and dumped all the contents on the dining room floor. And she did this in the span of about 4 minutes.

A box of tea is likely a cheaper toy than most dog-specific toys. Next up, training her to sweep the floor?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Turned out Lexi was over tired yesterday. A few times she sat down and she was struggling to keep her eyes open. As soon as I went up stairs she was unconcious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rhodie has some weird skin infection all over. He gets these scabs that collect clumps of hair, and when I wash them off in the bath he's left with angry red spots and sores. The vet said its a flea allergy, but I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if I should switch foods...? Anyone have vegan dog food recommendations for allergic pets? Right now he's on Natural Balance. I was thinking about v-dog. Hopefully he's not allergic to grains :-P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Pi. wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:

A box of tea is likely a cheaper toy than most dog-specific toys. Next up, training her to sweep the floor?

Oh my gosh, she is never doing this again, I can tell you that. If she does, I'll kill her. I figured she hadn't actually consumed any of the tea, because what dog would be stupid enough to do that? I'm sure it tastes horribly bitter. Well, my dog is that stupid. Imagine Tegan with a dose of caffeine in her system.

I got up and put her outside at 2 in the morning, because she was awake and staring at me, so I thought she needed to go out. No, she just wanted to play. I told her that 2 in the morning is not playtime, and put her back in her crate. I woke up again at 8, and she was (still?) awake and staring at me. I have a holiday today, and wanted to sleep in, but she did this little "Hooray! You're up! Let's go!" dance, so I got up. I let her out into the yard, and she just went completely nuts. She was doing play bows by herself, barking, leaping up, tearing up clods of grass and dirt and tossing them in the air. Then she just ran laps around the yard at full speed for a while. Finally, she did her business, and I let her back in, where she proceeded to play attack poor old Basko. I decided to go back to bed and try to get more sleep. Two hours later, my dad knocked on my door and said, "Your dog pooped on the floor." I went downstairs, and sure enough, she had pooped out tea all over the floor (Ty-Poo?). My dad and I cleaned it up, while Tegan bounced around the room like a toddler on speed. It was so gross. I think/hope it is out of her system now. (Although she did just get her head stuck in a laundry basket, but that could just be normal Tegan.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

God RC, Lexi and Tegan really must be twins. She sounds exactly like Lex. As soon as I slightly wake up in the morning she is in my face ready for action.

This evening I have a tired dog!!!! So happy! The last few days I have let her back off the leash on the walks in the woods and she has behaved. Today near the end we turned a corner and we saw a couple and their 2 dogs heading towards us. One of theirs made a run to play with Lexi and Lexi didn't know what to do. It happened so quick that I couldn't get her back to me. After a bit of barking and jumping around she came with me when I walked away. Usually this scenario plays out forever and she won't come away with me because she has found new buddies. She did make a show of me with her barking though. Because of her breed when she barks people think she is going to eat the other dog and don't see that she is just excited.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly is picking strings of Daiya off my tortilla pizza, playing with them/eating them, then wiping her greasy cheese beak off on my sleeve before going back for more.

She really likes Daiya, but I don't want her having very much. I guess there isn't anything in there necessarily bad for her, but it doesn't seem a great idea.

Gak. Lucky she is cute.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh lw! You make me so jealous of your relationship with Molly! My tiel HATES me!!!

Lexi is so hilarious. When I go away for a short few hours I leave her inside especially if it is raining outside. The routine is always the same, I go and she heads straight upstairs, breaks in to the spare room, sits up on the bed and stares out the window with a serious face until I come back in the door. The neighbour says she looks really creepy when she does it because she looks so deadly serious and just watches her like she is challenging her to dare to break into the house.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Tiels are a lot more aloof in general. Our tiel hovers around looking desperate for attention, but if you acknowledge she is there, she pretends to preen her tail and flies off. You have to pretend to ignore her and sometimes she will tip toe up close for a few minutes.

Green cheeks are just cuddle bugs by nature. I think part of it is that in the wild they like to sleep hanging by their beak in tight little tree hollows, so they equate being held and snuggled with comfort and security, whereas most other parrots would be pretty pissed off that you are touching their back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Creepy tiel has one lonely tail feather peeking out from his wing folds. he is pretty funny looking.

i kind of wish he'd give me some space [he will not get off my shoulder today]. he is an extra dirtbag for some reason today and he is just preening and shedding so much crepe on me [more than usual!!] and then sneezing directly into my ear. i know he does it on purpose.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 40  Next