| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Right, now I am getting what is driving Lexi nuts. The couple next door are away but their parents are constantly in and out of the house. Like seriously..... it went on until about 11.30 last night. Constant coming and going. They were even loud enough last night in the house, like they were having a hoot running around the house and it made Lexi pace soooooooo much. She wouldn't settle at all until they were gone. Luckily once we went up stairs she didn't bark once but she did leave the occasional whine out that they wouldn't have heard.

I reckon she would have slept longer this morning but woke up as soon as they arrived and started pulling out of me again.

Edit.... it's 10.58 and they are on their second visit into the house.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://www.etsy.com/listing/111204885/lion-hat-for-cats

GUYS

I JUST CAN'T EVEN

MY CAT NEEDS THIS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Does anyone have any experience of using compostable cat litter and using it in their own compost bin? I hate the amount of waste I seem to end up throwing into the landfill with the stuff I'm using right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

One of the dog trainers we use is going to donate one dollar to the animal shelter for every like their fb page gets in the month of July. So if you'd like to help out, their page is https://www.facebook.com/SpringForthDog. (They are a very good, all-positive training company.) No pressure, but if you want to do it, then thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I spent today hanging out in an animal sanctuary. I had soooooo much fun. I basically got to spend my day playing with dogs, goats and little baby kitties. I also got to help a dog that was dropped off to settle in by taking him out for a walk to get used to the others then chilled out in his sleep area with him until he fell asleep. He had been put in a pen of his own to start with but he didn't like being alone too much so that's why I took him out for a while. As I was leaving he was curled up in a stable sleeping soundly with 3 other dogs. Hopefully in a few days he will be at home enough to be allowed out around the farm with the others during the day.

As for Lexi, she only loved smelling my clothes when I got in home!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

Goat and kitties and dogs -oh my! Sounds like a great day Daisy, I'm pleased for you. My kitties always loved to smell our clothes too when we were volunteering, so cute

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:38 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh.... there was pigs too!! And hens, roosters, ducks, gooses, horses and sheep! Everyone of them are cruelty cases and now they have the life of riley. The place were the farm is situated is beautiful. Up in the mountains surrounded by forestry.

Lexi took my tshirt last night and put it in her bed and gave it a toy. Then she went and slept in the spare room for the night. I love my pooch.

Tempted to go back up today because there is a mean collie that they have to keep in a pen because he keeps attacking the others. I took him for a walk yesterday but couldn't go far because some of the small dogs escaped with us and insisted on tagging along and well........ walking in a mountainous area with dogs the size of my hand in heat that we aren't used to isn't a good combo! I want to try get him out without tag alongs for a serious walk and maybe try do some work with him. His last home let him away with everything and now he is a real handful. Such a pity about the cost of petrol these days. If it wasn't for that I would be up there everyday for the next week and a half.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

daisychain wrote:

Lexi took my tshirt last night and put it in her bed and gave it a toy. Then she went and slept in the spare room for the night. I love my pooch.

Adorable! I wish there was an animal sanctuary around here that I could visit.

My random thing is about my crazy cats. For starters, they are so much more chilled now that I finally caved and got a refill for my plug-in that makes them basically stoned. Which is nice. But my gripe is that they just...won't let me hold them! I grew up with snuggly cats that loved being held, and these girls will snug with me if I'm sitting or laying down, but picking them up is not an option. Bill will crowd my feet and meow at me, acting like she wants to be picked up, but she will only tolerate about 15 seconds before she's struggling to be released. At least Ghostface has the courtesy to start scratching me the moment I even think about lifting her. I just want snuggly kitties! They used to be, when they were younger. Maybe they will be again when they get older. Crazy 6 year old teenager acting jerk cats.

(I love them so, though.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

allularpunk wrote:

My random thing is about my crazy cats. For starters, they are so much more chilled now that I finally caved and got a refill for my plug-in that makes them basically stoned. Which is nice. But my gripe is that they just...won't let me hold them! I grew up with snuggly cats that loved being held, and these girls will snug with me if I'm sitting or laying down, but picking them up is not an option. Bill will crowd my feet and meow at me, acting like she wants to be picked up, but she will only tolerate about 15 seconds before she's struggling to be released. At least Ghostface has the courtesy to start scratching me the moment I even think about lifting her. I just want snuggly kitties! They used to be, when they were younger. Maybe they will be again when they get older. Crazy 6 year old teenager acting jerk cats.

My cats do this too. They want to snuggle at night in bed, and they like getting pets in the day time, but they do *not* want to be picked up and scream like bloody murder if you try. I fall for it every time because they rub up against my legs and look at me like "pleeeease pick me up and snuggle me!" but it never ends well.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You can add my cat to the hates snuggles list. He only likes to snuggle if I am asleep and it is 3am and I've work in the morning. At any other time I am the biggest inconvenience in the world to that cat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

One of our cats went to the vet today, and now the other cat is following her around sniffing her butt and hissing at her. And then when I tell her to knock it off she hisses at me, then goes back to stalking her sister.

Also, one of my cats LOVES to snuggle with me. Everyone else she'll just tolerate pets on her terms. My other cat LOVES to be pet by everyone and will come and sit with you, but she HATES to cuddle. She doesn't mind if you lay with her though, so you can kind of pseudo cuddle her, though.

Oh, and when the cat that likes to cuddle is done, she'll bite me and scratch me. Jerrrkkkkk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This afternoon after work, I was enjoying the nice air conditioning in my bedroom, and then my mom called, wanting me to go to the pet store with her to get cooling collars for the shelter dogs (it's so damn hot today!). So I dragged myself out of the house, and we went to the store and then to the shelter to put the collars on the dogs. So that took about an hour. And then on the way home, we heard on my mom's police radio "Caller reports a horse in their front yard. Uh, they said it's a big brown one." We thought that was hilarious and we decided we had to see the cops corral a horse.

We went to the address, and met the cops there, who said the horse had moved to another property. So we followed, and found the horse in back of a house, near a corral and another horse. (One the cops said "He's blindfolded!" because the horse was wearing a fly mask. He seriously thought the horse had a blindfold on.) The corral gate was shut, no gaps in the fence, so we figured the horse had either jumped, or she didn't belong there at all and had come from another house (it's an area of town where everyone seems to have horses). The cops stood about 50 feet away from the horse and took pictures of her with their phones, and whenever the horse moved towards them, they were like "oh shiitake" and jumped backwards. So I was like okay, I guess I will go restrain this horse if no one else is going to?
(Those are the shorts I've had since the 90s. Did not think I'd be leaving the house today. Also I am trying no to laugh, because this whole situation is ridiculous!)

The cops had contacted a local stable owner for help, so we waited for her to arrive, because we had no idea whether that horse belonged at that house or not. So I had to stand there holding the horse with a lead rope looped over her neck for a while (could not find a single halter on the property, which was weird), and let the cops take turns getting their picture taken holding the horse (they were calling other cops, saying "you will not believe this!") The stable owner got there eventually, and she confirmed that the horse did live at that house, and put the horse in the corral with the other one. So that was my interesting evening! And now I'm all sweaty and stink of horses. (I like horses, so that's okay.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ha ha ha, RC! I love that the cops were skittish!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

At my new apt there is a long strip of grass that Rhodie LOVES and as soon as he sees it he'll go race towards it. We have this routine once we reach the grass where I say in the highest, most annoying voice possible, "you looooove the grass!!!" and he'll sort of jump up in the air, race in a circle, and kick at the grass with his back paws. It's adorable and he won't do the prancing pony bit unless I do the squeaky voice!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

RC, that's awesome! I would have been laughing at the cops. Also, you're pretty!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ah I wish I could pet a horse! So sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:46 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

We got home from a gig the night before last to find that our little foster kitty had managed to tear down the bathroom blind! Before we left he broke my favourite picture frame. He's amazingly destructive for someone so small!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

RC and couroupita, those are both amazingly awesome stories!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly has been cranky and nippy because her head is a pincushion of new feathers that she doesn't want me to touch, so I left her in the macaw cage because I don't want to be nipped at any more (ow!).

She just walked across the room and crawled up and smooshed herself against my cheek to take a nap. <3

I'll probably get bitten again when she wakes up, but for now it's cute/sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just put up a hummingbird feeder and these guys are going nuts for it from dawn till dusk. They're so territorial though! It's kind of hilarious to watch them chase each other off, but I also want everyone to get a chance. I wonder if I put two up, there will still be feeder battles?

Also, a fricking tanager just flew into my sliding glass door! I'm on the second floor and my door is fairly far back from the patio so I have no idea what he was doing! He's ok, and while he regained his bearings I was able to get a good long look at him, but dang.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You could also put out a fox glove plant. Hummingbirds love those and they (the foxglove) are hard enough to kill that even I manage to keep them growing.

(avoid if you suspect Miss Marple will be visiting your area)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
You could also put out a fox glove plant. Hummingbirds love those and they (the foxglove) are hard enough to kill that even I manage to keep them growing.

(avoid if you suspect Miss Marple will be visiting your area)

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I would love for them to get some natural nectar.

I had to look up the Miss Marple ref. I didn't realize digoxin came from foxgloves! My childhood pup had to take digoxin for a heart murmur. Yay science! I will make sure not to mix it up with my culinary herbs ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I get home from work all cranky and hot and sweaty, and my dog is lying on her Tempurpedic bed in the air conditioned bedroom, watching tv. Must be nice, Tegan. Must be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My cat Elsa isn't big on snuggling. But of course last night it was SUPER hot and humid in my bedroom and I was lying there sweating and Elsa hops up on the bed and decides she wants to snuggle. She so rarely does this that I didn't want to shoo her away, but my god, it was sooooo hot and a furry little kitty snuggled up against me wasn't helping!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have too much bruising for my cat to be this cuddly now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 35  Next