| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 am 
WRETCHED

I'm so sorry fatcat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:31 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I get to see my kitties again on Sunday for the first time in almost two months! I'm so ridiculously excited.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 pm 
Semen Strong

This ASPCA blogpost has me crosseyed in rage. So maybe I am missing something, but why are they obsessed by a non-problem? The article is bemoaning the lack of puppies - saying that spay and neuter has been so successful that now there are too few 8 week old puppies in the system and its not fair to all the loving homes who want a puppy. http://www.aspcapro.org/where-will-the- ... -come-from

To which I say:

1. More loving homes for older dogs!
2. Import from other areas of the US or abroad where there is no shortage of dogs.
3. The problem is that breeders are selling puppies when everyone wants them, and shelters have to accommodate them because people have really inaccurate expectations of what a puppy involves. Why not address the problems that have dogs be surrendered - help people get training and keep their dogs out of the shelter systems.
4. This is not a real problem. The horrendous overcrowding of shelters with dogs being euthanized every day is a real problem.

I can't believe that the ASPCA is letting this piece run on its page, because "not enough puppies" in the face of so many abandoned older (read over 3 month old) dogs is just dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

No, see they're totally right! There are not enough 8-week old puppies. I mean, I just checked craigslist and, sure, I found 6 week old puppies, 9 week old puppies, 10 week old puppies, 12 week old puppies and 14 week old puppies listed in the last couple days. But I had to go all the way back to Thursday to find a litter of 8 week old purebred St Bernards for sale. *eyeroll*

If the AKC thinks there are no puppies out there, perhaps they've never heard of the internet. Also, people suck and if they want a puppy in particular, they think breeder. There are puppies in shelters and with breed rescues if you really want a purebred dog. Amos was only 13 weeks when we adopted him... still a smooshy little puppy with all the good and bad things that go along with puppyhood.

(Omigod, though... looking at all those puppy pics on craigslist... dying of cuteness over here. I wonder if biker boy took his lawnmower to the dump yet? Some one craigslist has a 10 week old Scottie that they will trade for a lawnmower... that's kind of like rescuing him, isn't it?)

Last edited by monkeytoes on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the laugh! And that is totally rescuing him!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Now I want a puppy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

I want to snuggle and play with a puppy, then give it back to its owner for the hard stuff like housebreaking and chewed up shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:22 pm 
WRETCHED

In our area, puppies are definitely still being killed in high kill shelters. Rescues try to extract as many dogs as possible but they have limited resources. A lot of our puppies come from West Virginia, sometimes Virginia.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

monkeytoes wrote:
I want to snuggle and play with a puppy, then give it back to its owner for the hard stuff like housebreaking and chewed up shoes.

Yeah, I love when other people have puppies and I can play with them and snuggle them for a few minutes and then go home and not have to deal with them. I have taken care of enough puppies over the years to know that I would never in a million years want to adopt one. I really don't understand why some people absolutely insist on getting an 8 week old puppy or kitten. I would love for some group to do research to find out why specifically these people want puppies/kittens and what the best ways are to market older animals to them. I know I have had people tell me that they believe older dogs won't bond with them, or they aren't able to be trained, and those seem like myths that could be easily dispelled.

And it doesn't seem there is a shortage of puppies, anyway. There certainly seem to be hundreds of them listed on petfinder every time I check! Until the southern US catches up with spay/neuter, I don't see the country running out of puppies anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:20 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Last night I was lying on the couch watching TV and feeling kind of grumpy when Pepper, who'd been napping in the bedroom, suddenly trotted in as happy as a clam with a wagging tail, hopped up on the sofa, and snuggled right into my neck. The sweetness just killed me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:27 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So, I've never lived with a cat, or really had much interaction with them other than lovin' them when they're on the sidewalk. My friends' cats have never been too loving to strangers. Well, the dude I'm dating, he has a cat. And it's so cute, the cat will sleep on my feet at night! Like a dog! K said his cat never ha done that before, but he's done it almost every time I've slept over, even the very first time! I love it, I don't have a blanket on my feet in summer so he'll feel so soft and snuggly. I play with him like he's a dog, It's really the only way I know how to interact with an animal, but he loves it, though I do have to be on the defensive a bit from some bites (I roughhouse with him, so it's not unexpected).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:55 am 
WRETCHED

So we normally take our beagle to the vet to have his anal glands expressed every couple months but I decided to try again today. My husband and I tried to figure it out a couple months ago to no avail. The vet has offered to show us but we figured we gave up. I watched another youtube video today though and totally different than what I tried last time (you don't want to know). So anyway, it worked! Except he is a gross dog and loved the smell so was trying to get in the bag I used over my hands and that had the paper towels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:02 am 
WELFARIST!

Mornings with Bill Murray and Ghostface.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Last night I took the cover off my dog's Tempurpedic bed to wash it, and I threw an extra non-Tempurpedic dog bed in her crate for the night. You would have thought I was asking her to sleep on a concrete slab. All night she kept getting up, scratching at the bed to try to make it more comfortable, flopping down dramatically and glaring at me, and then repeating the whole thing two minutes later. Oh, I'm sorry Tegan that you had to sleep on a regular dog bed like a normal dog for ONE NIGHT. How terrible your life is!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mars wrote:
So, I've never lived with a cat, or really had much interaction with them other than lovin' them when they're on the sidewalk. My friends' cats have never been too loving to strangers. Well, the dude I'm dating, he has a cat. And it's so cute, the cat will sleep on my feet at night! Like a dog! K said his cat never ha done that before, but he's done it almost every time I've slept over, even the very first time! I love it, I don't have a blanket on my feet in summer so he'll feel so soft and snuggly. I play with him like he's a dog, It's really the only way I know how to interact with an animal, but he loves it, though I do have to be on the defensive a bit from some bites (I roughhouse with him, so it's not unexpected).

I have two cats and they're super loving and friendly to strangers too! They love nothing better than coming and sleeping with people in bed. It's such a great feeling :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:10 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I am giving crate training Fawkes a serious go. As long as I let him out within 20-30 minutes of coming home from our walk, after which he drinks a ton of water, we were avoiding house pee, and when we hit the two week mark I thought, "Finally." But for whatever reason, his pee schedule has flipped and now he's been peeing in the dining room in the morning, between Brian letting him out before work and me getting up. Today the difference between those two things was, at most, two hours. fork this shiitake.

We were never able to potty train him at my FIL's house because he doesn't bother with any kind of training and his whole house is covered in old dog pee.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

mrsbadmouth wrote:
We were never able to potty train him at my FIL's house because he doesn't bother with any kind of training and his whole house is covered in old dog pee.

D: D: D:

I was dogsitting for my ex this weekend, he and his gf have two old, incontinent dogs. I don't think I realized quite what I was signing up for but man the whiff that hit me when I opened the door... it was powerful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:21 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

One of the many reasons why living in that house was total sadness that I kept to myself. He would clean it up with Nature's Miracle, but one of his dogs hates wood floors so he had rugs everywhere, and decided he was tired of washing so many so he started buying ones with rubber backing so the pee wouldn't seep to the floor. The one in front of the back door went like six months without being washed. Fawkes would never pee in our room so when I went to work I would put up a dog gate to keep Lily from going in there and peeing.

We have a carpet shampooer so it's quick to clean up, but i'm sick of whipping it out every single morning. I just gout out Chester's old doggie play pen and removed two pieces from it so it's Fawkes sized and stuck him in there with his food. He spends most of his day sleeping next to me anyway, but he is QUIET so when he gets up and walks away, I really don't notice. And he's not a whiner and doesn't cuddle with my anyway so i'll put the dog crate in our room at night.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
He spends most of his day sleeping next to me anyway, but he is QUIET so when he gets up and walks away, I really don't notice.

You could long-leash tether him for those times that you're not paying really good attention, or put a bell on him?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Double post because I forgot I actually came in here to tell my Yard Randomness story! Which is incredibly fitting because it not only is about the dogs but happened in the yard. Tungsten may have saved my little ones from being snatched up by a large, predatory bird.

The other day I had Tungsten and the chihuahuas in the fenced in part of the yard and I was hanging out laundry so I could see in the yard but wasn't actually in the fencing with them. Tungsten is a very alert watchdog type and tells me about a lot of stuff. Cats, squirrels, leaves, people across the road, etc. He is one of the few dogs that makes note of things that happen in the sky but doesn't necessarily tell me about it. But he all of a sudden loses his mind and jumps up at the wall of the garage (the fencing goes around the pool deck that is raised up along the side of the garage so the dogs have access to grass, lower deck and upper deck) and I look up and he's clearly jumping towards the roof, but I didn't see anything right away, then slightly more to the left I saw a very large turkey vulture type bird flying much, much closer to the dog yard than birds usually do. Tungsten ran towards him and the bird did some large circles around the area but got progressively higher and disappeared.

So I can't say for sure but I think he would have attempted to make one of my little ones bird chow. With the number of feral cats we have in our ravine, I would not be at all surprised if there's a couple of birds that are chowing down on kittens :( We haven't seen any litters in a while. The chihuahuas are never going in to the yard alone again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:56 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Here's one for all you dog psychologists out there:

Pepper was crazy hyper this morning at the office, so I had her do some tricks and rewarded her with treats and the clicker. Then gave her a Greenie to chew on. She then spent the next 20 minutes wandering the office with the Greenie in her mouth, crying. I watched her go into a couple of offices and attempt to hide it before walking out and going somewhere else. She just came back to my desk without the Greenie, happy as a clam.

This is not the first time she's done this, but she only does it when she's the only dog at the office. When there are other dogs around, especially the one that will steal her treats/toys/chews at any opportunity, she's happy to chew on it or leave it unattended in her bed.

Now she's found it again and is happily chewing on it. Such a weirdo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erika, we had a dog at the shelter like that! She always wanted to hide her bones and toys and would walk around her kennel, whining and looking for a place to stash them. She'd dig at the floor like she was trying to dog a hole, and then give up and hide them under her blanket. She was a stray so I wonder if she had gotten used to hiding food for later.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to get my dog to play with various toys, and she just stood there and looked at me like I was an idiot. We have about a million dog toys, and I pulled them all out of the toy box one by one and tried to get her interested, but nope! Then she started playing with a knee brace, shaking it and tossing it in the air and catching it and acting like it was the most fun thing ever. Okay dog.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:23 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

it's cold in my apartment, and ophelia is desperate to be in my lap, but it's impossible to work with her there, so today has been an endless cycle of me trying to make her snuggly in her basket chair with a warm blanket and her leaving the chair the second i stand up and coming back to scratch at my leg so i'll pick her up. it's really, really, really hard to not just say the hell with it and crawl into bed with her. i can feel her watching me right now, but if i turn around and see her standing on the edge of the chair i'm just going to have to go over and try to bundle her up again, and she's just going to fight the bundling and try to sit on my shoulder instead. i feel like a really bad mom. i guess i shouldn't have waited until she was 20 to try to encourage her to self-soothe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:39 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Our eldest cat, Lucky, thinks it's his privilege to lick every plate, bowl, utensil I use everyday in the kitchen. He won't settle for less. He demands to lick all and gets upset when he knows there's a used bowl he hasn't licked yet. Somehow he just knows. So for lunch he's licked two bowls, a fork and a pie plate. Of course, those were all from my lunch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There is so much trash on the streets and sidewalks here. Mostly fast food bags and wrappers (but also a bunch of used toilet paper. So gross!). Of course Tegan wants to eat all the lovely french fry grease soaked bags. We have been working on "leave it", and she has been doing better, but you can tell it's so hard for her. Today she grabbed a piece of a styrofoam container that looked like it had once held curry. I asked her to drop it, and she just looked at me, like "No forking way." I held a treat up to her nose, but apparently curried styrofoam is way tastier than any dog treat. So I had to reach into her mouth and pull out this dirty, slimy piece of styrofoam and fling it away from us before she could grab it again. I want to find all the people who litter and leave bags of dog shiitake at their front door.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next