| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:44 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've given in to Lexi's dramatic sighs and throwing herself on the ground and let her hop into my bed for the night. She is such a little manipulative drama queen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

couroupita wrote:
I'm looking at a dog rescue adoption form and one of the questions is, under what circumstances would you give up the dog? One of the options is if the dog didn't get along with my other dog. Now, I wouldn't ever consider surrendering a dog without a really huge reason (for example, Rhodie has some major issues and has bitten me multiple times--for reasons I understand and try to avoid--and I think this would be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but not me), but if they were constantly fighting and hurting each other? I mean, hopefully you never even get into that situation because you suss out before adoption whether the dogs get along, but still. Should I answer truthfully or should I say no? It seems like a trick question, like if you answer yes you're a bad person.

Is there a spot with possibility for explanation? To me 'Dog didn't get along with your other dog' is kind of light, not meaning quite what you're getting at, so could you pick 'no' for that, and then add an explanation of how you'd try all avenues and only try to re-home the dog if it was clear it was a long-term problem and best for the both of them?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

No, that's why I'm not sure what to do. If I could explain my reasoning, I'd check yes. I feel a little disingenuous checking no, but I'm probs over thinking it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm guessing there will be an interview of some sort, and you could always explain your answer there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:47 pm 

Lexi had a lovely long walk today. We ended up joining another girl and her 2 dogs. One of her dogs kept trying to get it on with her. Poor Lexi kept yelping and running away. She had lots of fun jumping into puddles of mud though.

Despite the long walk and playtime she is still energetic and pacing around the house looking for a game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My mom says Tegan has spring fever. She is just so hyper and scattered. Last week we were doing off leash heeling on walks. Today I couldn't take the leash off because she couldn't focus for 2 seconds. She was completely distracted by smells, other dogs, birds, people, cars, etc. and just wanted to go go go. Might be time to break out the tofu hot dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

What do you think is the best way to find out if a cat is homeless or not? There is a cat who has been hanging around our house off and on for over a year. He has survived at least two winters so if he does not have a home then he has somewhere safe to go when it is well below freezing. He always leaves at night, especially if it is cold. He is not super skinny but we live in a stable residential area where there aren't a lot of stray cats and possibly more people than us may be feeding him. He seems to show up early in the morning - I get up at about 5 - 5:30 and sometimes he is here before, sometimes a bit after that, waits to be fed and then either sticks around or leaves and comes back later. He is semi-fluffy but not really matted.

I have thought about putting a collar on him with a note of some sort. It is possible his owners regularly put him out in the early morning for the day, which was the case with one of my former neighbour's cats that I first thought was a stray. If he is a stray I will consider adopting him. I let him in the house a couple of times last winter when it was really cold but he sprayed the couch.

The weird thing about him is that while both of my cats are very territorial they are quite tolerant of this guy - in fact they seem to almost like him (this is the most important consideration in whether I would adopt him or not). I have so far refused to give him a name but I have grown fond of him and call him "kitty".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Arisaig wrote:
What do you think is the best way to find out if a cat is homeless or not? There is a cat who has been hanging around our house off and on for over a year. He has survived at least two winters so if he does not have a home then he has somewhere safe to go when it is well below freezing. He always leaves at night, especially if it is cold. He is not super skinny but we live in a stable residential area where there aren't a lot of stray cats and possibly more people than us may be feeding him. He seems to show up early in the morning - I get up at about 5 - 5:30 and sometimes he is here before, sometimes a bit after that, waits to be fed and then either sticks around or leaves and comes back later. He is semi-fluffy but not really matted.

I have thought about putting a collar on him with a note of some sort. It is possible his owners regularly put him out in the early morning for the day, which was the case with one of my former neighbour's cats that I first thought was a stray. If he is a stray I will consider adopting him. I let him in the house a couple of times last winter when it was really cold but he sprayed the couch.

The weird thing about him is that while both of my cats are very territorial they are quite tolerant of this guy - in fact they seem to almost like him (this is the most important consideration in whether I would adopt him or not). I have so far refused to give him a name but I have grown fond of him and call him "kitty".

Growing up we used to take in strays all the time. The note around the collar seems like a clever idea. What we would do is going down a number of streets, knocking on people's doors and ask if they knew until we did. Almost always someone knew something about the history of the cat, even if they were stray or were they saw them sleep before outside, etc. Does the cat have a tattoo? I don't know how it works with you, but where we lived we had a vet who knew a lot of the animals in the neighbourhood (I lived in a small village), he also knew about missing cats sometimes. Then we always checked the local supermarkets and a few other places where people listed their missing cats. Then if there wasn't anyone we'd take them in. I like your idea of the collar note, I have to say it again, I can't believe I never thought of that before myself! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 am 

Went for a bit of a walk today with the pooch. I finally made it to a local cross that is on top of a hill overlooking the village. I couldn't manage to get a photo with the cross and the village in the background because of the angle so I decided to be all artsy and use the cross and pedestal as a frame for one side of the photo (and most to add a bit of depth to the photo since it is such a white sky day).

But Lexi decided she wanted in on that photo. She propped herself up on the opposite side to me and managed to block the village from view with her head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

aww... Lexi photobomb! too cute.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:20 pm 

She's obsessed with looking at me directly. Anytime I do the washing up she insists on going outside and looking in the window propped up on the sill to watch me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lexi's so funny!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:12 pm 

Lexi is a pain in the arse.

She was robbing the kale that I was about to cook while I ran to the loo this evening. She's mean.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dear Chihuahuas,

I have conceded to your need to help me fold laundry and change the sheets on the bed and pretty much everything else, but I assure you that I do not require assistance when going to the bathroom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

daisychain wrote:
She's obsessed with looking at me directly. Anytime I do the washing up she insists on going outside and looking in the window propped up on the sill to watch me.

This is hilarious!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

daisychain wrote:

Ah, Rhodie does this too! I have a window overlooking my balcony and when I'm outside gardening he jumps perches himself on the couch beneath it to observe. But, it's not enough to watch. I have to interact with him through the window, like touch my hand to where his paw is scratching on the glass, or he freaks out. He could just walk around the corner and sit on the patio with me, but it's gotta be the window. Weirdo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tegan was really good on her walk today. But at one point we had to pass someone who was sitting on the guard rail (kind of random and weird!). I said hello as we were passing, and the guy said hi. Then Tegan was like "OMG friend! You said hi to me! I love you! I want to stay with you!" and she didn't want to walk away. I tried to get her to run with me, and she would run a few paces, then turn around and stare. At one point she was walking backward. I could hear the person laughing behind us. It was a little bit embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:32 pm 

Hehe! Oh Tegan, you are so adorable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Just to prove that Tegan can actually behave sometimes! Featuring off leash heeling, loose leash walking, sit/stay, and recalls. Powered by Lightlife Smart Dogs.

(No matter how many times I tell my mom to film in landscape mode, she still never does it.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:08 am 
WELFARIST!

Yay Tegan! She's so lovely, raspberries. You're giving her such a happy life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks! She's been doing really well lately. Before we worked on obedience for that video, we had to walk past a big canopy tent that was flapping in the breeze. That's something that would have sent her into a panic attack a year ago, but she didn't even glance at it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr Moon dropped a huge glob of peanut butter on Migo's back. Quita was very excited about this and did her best to rectify the problem, but Mr Moon still had to give Migo a bath. So then it was 11:30 pm and I had two very unhappy men in the bathroom getting everything wet while I laughed my butt off. The fact that Migo is a chihuahua makes the mess that much funnier.

Now my bedroom smells like lavender mint dog shampoo and Migo is so cute and fluffy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tegan was a terror today. She was bouncing off the walls. She followed me around being needy all morning. At lunchtime I took her out in the yard to play with the flirt pole. She played for a while and then got so amped up that she started sprinting back and forth the length of the yard as fast as she could. A few hours after that, we went for a walk. She was very good on the walk, but when we got back, she started harassing poor Basko and chasing him around the house. Then when my mom came home, Tegan climbed up on her and stole an oreo out of her hand! Then she had the zoomies around the house. At 11pm I let the dogs out to pee. Tegan went flying at Basko while he was peeing and started play biting his neck. He couldn't get away because he was busy peeing! I told her to stop, and she backed off and started running laps around the yard, REALLY fast. I eventually called her in and put her in her crate with a nice soothing David Attenborough documentary on the tv, and within 5 minutes she was fast asleep. I'm hoping that this was just a weird day and she will be calmer tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I love the Adventures of Tegan, she is hilarious.

The cats have now decided that when I come home from work it is dinner time and that when S and I have dinner it is also dinner time. We do try to normally make it all sort of the same process (I get home around 5:30, we eat at 6 and feed them at the same time), however it results in very obnoxious kitties when that is not the case. Two days ago I went home sick around 2:30 so they started roaming the apartment howling or laying in the kitchen. Then last night I got home late but S fed them at 6 to try to keep it the same for them but me coming home started the dinner whining. They also try to trick whoever was not home when they were fed into feeding them again. Kitties are quite persuasive.

We have to give Jack back to S's parents in mid-April and I really don't want to! I was nervous about taking him in but Benjamin enjoys romping around and I love having two kitties to snuggle. I guess we will just have to go visit Jack more often.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fizzgig, like this?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next