| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, I hope so too, 'fulish! Great news!

Vijita, my cats have always had pretty stellar teeth so I've never bothered. But I do try to check on them every few months.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:46 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

If I tried to brush either of my cats' teeth, I would leave the encounter with bloody stumps where my hands once were. So I just count on the vet to tell me if there's anything wrong there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:28 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ugh ugh. Posting this here because I think that the current sad thing in 'worst things' deserves some solid time of hugs.

My mum just called me crying, telling me her dog was killed by another dog last week. She had to wait to tell me because she was too upset to speak of it sooner. My mum loved that dog like crazy, he was a wee (like 5? lb - seriously tiny) chihuahua. Her sister's dog who did the deed, a very large boxer. Lil guy died in her arms as they were rushing to the nearest emergency vet. She's such a loving, sensitive lady, I'm so sad for her.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars I'm so sorry!

Vijita, I use dental dry food that my vet recommended, plus extra dental treats for my cats. My previous cat had to get a lot of teeth removed in his old age so I'm hoping to avoid that this time.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That's awful Mars, I'm so sorry!

I wish my cats would eat dental treats/food. But I'm going to try again. Maybe if I make them eat them before that 5am feeding when ALL CATS ARE STARVING they'll accept them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

vijita wrote:
I wish my cats would eat dental treats/food. But I'm going to try again. Maybe if I make them eat them before that 5am feeding when ALL CATS ARE STARVING they'll accept them.

One of my cats really likes the Greenies brand of dental treats. They also get Science Diet Oral Care dry food (only a bit, most of their diet is wet food). My vet recommended it and I was surprised that he was recommending a dry food, but he said he gives his own cat some of that each day for his teeth and the rest of his diet is wet food, so that's what I do. It's a little pricey, but less pricey than oral surgery!

ETA: Also, I give the treats before bedtime, which is nowhere near their usually feeding time so they are more interested in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly is stupid. She is running around in the table behind me whining and clicking because she wants to come sit with me. If I try to pick her up, she lunges and attacks. Apparently it's a PMS day.

When she could fly, she would just fly over, but now she is dependent on good will for her transportation and I really don't feel like risking injury right now.

She needs to either be nice if she wants over here, or shut up and find something else to do. Driving me nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Mars, I'm sorry. What a horrible story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ugh, Mars, I missed your story. That is so hard. I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I feel bad for your mom :( That sounds like an absolute horror story.

One of my cats started scratching the door. I need to get that sticky paper that prevents them from scratching. Looks like I'll also be getting her another scratching post too.

My other cat has been perched at the window watching the baby bunnies down below. I have to watch the door any time I go in or out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh Mars, I'm so sorry I didn't see this until now. Major *hugs* xxxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars I'm really sorry for your loss. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:50 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Aw, Mars, I am so sorry!

This got mentioned over in the running thread, but I started taking my dog running. She's just shy of four months now, and we've been doing it for the past two weeks, maybe three days a week? It's always on grass or dirt, always at her pace- if she slows down, I slow down, if she speeds up, I keep her at pace. If she stops, I stop and give her a minute and then walk.
In addition to this, she goes up and down pretty steep stairs daily (we don't have a choice. Our backyard is down stairs, as is my workplace). She's getting way too big and squirmy for me to carry and she LOVES stairs. She climbs up any stairs she finds out on walks. And we go on long walks- three miles, sometimes? Also primarily through dirt and grass. If we didn't do this, she'd go nuts with too much energy, racing through the house, terrorizing the cat by trying to play with her, chewing everything in sight. The only time I ever force her is when I know she hasn't exercised all day and she's being difficult at the beginning of a walk.
So, I guess for now I'll avoid the running, but keep the long walks?

I was worried that she didn't get enough exercise, and now I'm worried she's getting too much? She doesn't seem exhausted or hurt! She walks fine, isn't licking her pads, drinks plenty of water, doesn't whine... She's only seemed exhausted twice- once on the fourth, which was my intent so she slept through the fireworks, and Sunday, when we went to the park and hiked around with a friend and his dog.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

missdelaney wrote:
Aw, Mars, I am so sorry!

This got mentioned over in the running thread, but I started taking my dog running. She's just shy of four months now, and we've been doing it for the past two weeks, maybe three days a week? It's always on grass or dirt, always at her pace- if she slows down, I slow down, if she speeds up, I keep her at pace. If she stops, I stop and give her a minute and then walk.
In addition to this, she goes up and down pretty steep stairs daily (we don't have a choice. Our backyard is down stairs, as is my workplace). She's getting way too big and squirmy for me to carry and she LOVES stairs. She climbs up any stairs she finds out on walks. And we go on long walks- three miles, sometimes? Also primarily through dirt and grass. If we didn't do this, she'd go nuts with too much energy, racing through the house, terrorizing the cat by trying to play with her, chewing everything in sight. The only time I ever force her is when I know she hasn't exercised all day and she's being difficult at the beginning of a walk.
So, I guess for now I'll avoid the running, but keep the long walks?

I was worried that she didn't get enough exercise, and now I'm worried she's getting too much? She doesn't seem exhausted or hurt! She walks fine, isn't licking her pads, drinks plenty of water, doesn't whine... She's only seemed exhausted twice- once on the fourth, which was my intent so she slept through the fireworks, and Sunday, when we went to the park and hiked around with a friend and his dog.

Long walks or brief sprints are fine, but absolutely no jogging/running sessions before she's a year old. You can really mess up their joints and growth plates with extended runs too young.

When Tungsten was a puppy I bought a backpack and weighed it down with water bottles to tire him out, and it really did the job. Plus, then we always had water with us. (Jam your poo bags in there too and you'll never be without bags!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Dropped Biscuit off for her spay surgery this morning! Hopefully that is the last time she will go under anesthesia for a while- hopefully forever! Third time this month, poor bubs.

On the bright side, she got her leg stitches out yesterday and confirmed that her dental work is healing well. Onward!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

You know your toenail is infected when Tungsten just wants to nurse on your toe all night. I swear, this dog zeroes in on infected feet like a heat seeking missile. But there's pus involved.

Now that I'm looking at my toe, though, I see it's pretty infected and I have no idea why.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 am 

Aww! That's sweet, but also, take care of that toe!

Yesterday we came home late and Puddy bolted outside and down into the forest--it was so terrifying and I was so worried (she is an indoor cat and has no "street" smarts). I grabbed a flashlight and after half an hour chased her down, but man, I was losing it. I don't understand how people turn their indoor cats into outdoor cats! I let both of mine have supervised outdoor time, but I can't imagine letting them cope with the scary world of roads and cars and wild animals. I am too protective!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:15 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I'm eating a banana muffin and Bailey (my dog) keeps pawing at me and bugging at me because she wants some of my muffin. Now, normally I never have to deal with her begging for food since I don't eat anything she likes, but apparently these are some seriously delicious muffins because when I showed one to her earlier she took a big bite and actually ate it (normally with bread she'll take a bite, chew it up, and spit it out). So of course now she's just sitting all pretty with her big puppy dog eyes begging for more, which is distracting me from, uh, browsing for shoes online actually, but still! Quit it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just love when my dogs see me walk in the room, thump their tails, and smile at me. Seriously, is there anything more pure and awesome and happytimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 am 

My husband tells me all I talk about in my sleep is Puddy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly is so wily. I have a fancy chair for my back in the office that has a woven upholstery so it's not fun to clean. Molly is banned from sitting on it because she will either poop on it or chew it. She has a spiral rope perch hanging from the ceiling next to it that is full of toys and things to do. She is happy to sit there and play, but the second I leave the room, she jumps to the chair.

I came back from the bathroom just in time to see a blur of a tail leaping back to the rope perch. When I came in she was sitting up there looking like she had never moved.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

haha! smart birdie!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:14 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Biscuit's gotten more comfortable the handful of times I've taken her into the office, and now her routine is to slowly plod around the office, investigating each work area and generally charming the pants off of people in exchange for treats. Today she came back to my desk after a round and had a small lunch tote stuck on her neck! She'd gotten nosy, stuck her face in the bag, and then couldn't get the handle back over her head. Caught red-pawed!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ha! Silly Biscuit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:16 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Today she came back to my desk after a round and had a small lunch tote stuck on her neck! She'd gotten nosy, stuck her face in the bag, and then couldn't get the handle back over her head. Caught red-pawed!

This is so adorable. Wow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next