| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neighbor's dog attacked my dog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My neighbors have two large dogs who seem to be territorial. They bark at anything that comes past their home. I never see the dogs getting walked, but I do frequently hear them getting yelled at, so I have some sympathy for the dogs and feel a bit judgmental of the neighbors.

I have a 20 pound mutt -- Shelby -- who is fearful of other dogs, and a 3 year old son. We usually go on a morning walk together before work. Today, with the time change, my son slept in, thank goodness. As Shelby and I were finishing our walk, we heard the neighbor dogs barking. Shelby barked back and I heeled her and we started walking quickly towards our house. That's when the neighbor's dog, who was not on leash, came barrelling out of the yard and jumped on Shelby. To Shelby's credit, she did not engage or try to fight back. She just tried to get away. I was in a panic, trying to pull the dog off Shelby by his rear end, which didn't work. I then hit him with my umbrella, which distracted him for just enough time for another neighbor to intervene with pepper spray. The neighbor dog backed off and the neighbor was able to grab him.

Shelby seems to be okay. She fortunately has really thick fur around her neck and the other dog wasn't able to get a good hold of her.

My husband wanted me to call the police right away and report the attack, but I told him I wanted time to think and poll the PPK. I know that I should confirm with the neighbors that their dogs are up on all their shots. I'm also concerned that Shelby or my son could get attacked again in the future (plus we are right next door to an elementary school). Should I call the police? Is there a way short of that to keep everyone safe?

Post subject: Re: Neighbor's dog attacked my dog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:08 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm really sorry that happened, bcakes. That's terrible for all involved- you, your pup, even the neighbor's pups. As you so wisely said, you can't blame the dog too much when that's how its humans have 'cared' for it.

My first instinct would be to talk with the neighbors. Hopefully this incident scares them into seeing that their dogs should be restrained, and if you go to the police the dogs will most likely be put into quarantine at the pound, which sucks for all involved. On the other hand, people this irresponsible rarely take these sorts of incidents as they're meant to be taken- as serious lessons. I guess I would be prepared to go and talk about their dogs and ways to address both their free-roaming and their behavior, but also be prepared to file an official report. As much as I hate to say this, if these people refuse to accept responsibility for their dogs (in more ways than just slapping a leash on them), the sooner a paper trail exists, the better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Do the dog's guardians know what happened? I would check with them and find out medical info you need, what they plan to do to ensure that doesn't happen again, etc. And if the discussion is going okay, let them know how worried you've been about the quality of their dogs' lives too.

I don't know what the police would do in this case; you might want to start by contacting any local animal control agency and/or humane society you have and get advice from them?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:19 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

As much as we may personally disagree with it, dogs are considered 'property' in most areas so I believe a police report would be to document 'property damage.'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

First of all, I'm very sorry that this happened to you and Shelby - it's a very scary thing indeed. I would talk to the neighbor first. Perhaps the dog getting out was honestly an accident, and my hunch is that the neighbor feels really bad about the situation. Nobody wants their dog to be attacked or be the attacker.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
As much as we may personally disagree with it, dogs are considered 'property' in most areas so I believe a police report would be to document 'property damage.'

Laws vary by locality. Where I live, if we called the police in this situation they would refer us to our county's animal control office to investigate, unless an attack was in progress and immediate assistance needed...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm still really shaken and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I hesitate to use the word guardian because I'm still feeling very judgmental, but the dog's guardian does know what happened. She was with both of her dogs in her yard when the attack happened and neither was on leash. The yard isn't fenced, so it was just a matter of the dog running around the front of the house and jumping on us.

The guardian did not see what happened, but she was told by the two witnesses that her dog had attacked mine without provacation. (It's actually somewhat ironic because Shelby is a rescue with leash aggression and tends to bark at other dogs, but she actually didn't make a peep or even look at the other dog until it was on top of her). The guardian was focused on hustling her dogs into the house after the incident and I have not yet spoken to her at all.

I checked my town's website and -- assuming that this is a first incident -- the dog would be quarantined if I report the attack. Whether he will be quarantined in his home versus at the pound depends on whether he is up-to-date on his shots. Assuming that the dog is unregistered (which I kind of assume is the case) the guardian would also be fined.

I'm still weighing making a report versus just talking to the neighbors. But in either case I am going to stop at the neighbors' on the way home and talk to them about what happened. I'm not sure there is anything they can say that will make me feel like they are going to do enough to take care of their dog and prevent a future incident, but I'd like to at least give them the benefit of the doubt. I keep thinking about how much worse this could have been if my son had been with me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

So sorry you are dealing with this. I'd definitely talk to them. My next door neighbor had 2 dogs, one around 8ish pounds and a bichon frise (sp?) that was probably around 15 pounds. One day I was shutting off my sprinkler and the bichon got out from their backyard, ran up behind me and bit me hard enough twice on the back of my calf to draw blood and leave me with one heck of a bruise. My neighbor realized that was a safety hazard with small children around and re-homed the dog to her sister where it supposedly could not get into such trouble.

You never know....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:47 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Bcakes, did you ever end up talking to your neighbor? How did it go?

I was thinking of this thread because a similar thing happened across the street from me the other night. There's a house across the street and two houses down from us that is occupied by some folks who are nice enough, but they have some drug issues that appear to be getting worse. They have two dogs, who they obviously love a lot and who actually seem fairly happy all things considered, but lately, they've been either escaping from the house or being let out (their yard isn't fenced), so they've been crapping on nearby lawns, and running up to other dogs who are walked by their area. This is terrifying for me because I have a reactive dog, so I basically don't walk on that side of the block anymore except at, like 6:00 am. ANYWAY. The other night, one of the loose dogs got into a scuffle with a smaller dog that lived a couple houses down. The smaller dog was, I think, going from the car into the fenced front yard of its home. I heard the barking and yelping, and saw one of the loose dog's people come running out of the house to fetch the loose dog. The owner of the smaller dog called animal control, but I'm not sure if anyone showed up.

Anyway, I know it sucks to call in and make a report, but a dog that's loose and attacking other dogs (and who knows what else) is a pretty serious hazard. Hopefully reporting can be the first step to getting the dog/owner some help.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sorry I took so long to update. I did talk to the neighbors and the dogs haven't been out unattended since. I actually haven't seen them out at all, which makes me worry that they aren't getting out enough. I honestly have no idea if I did the right thing. I'm still pretty afraid that the dogs might be left lose again and hurt another dog or a child.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:16 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

jkudywoods wrote:
I agree with Erika Soyf*cker, Dogs are considered to be a home property and complaint should be done to police to control the situations.

That's not exactly what I said...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Another update. Guess who moved out? That's right, the "guardians" of the big mean dog next door. They took the dog with them, of course. I hope wherever they've gone, they continue to properly supervise the dogs.

It's nice to be able to use our yard without being barked at. (Even on leash with their humans outside, the dogs next door were super territorial).