| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 27, 2015 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I get these fish rescued?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 am 
BAD PASS

Okay. There is a sushi restaurant in the town where I work that is kind of terrible, but so funnily terrible that we still go there. The owners are a very happy smiley man (so nicknamed "The Smiling Man") and his wife is a nosy, gruff busybody who takes her servers' tips and asks really personal questions ("The Frowny Lady"). The menu is like 14 pages long and things are on it multiple times and there's no rhyme or reason to how it's laid out. They make a mean avocado roll, though, and they have wine. I'd say I go there once every two to three months. So not often.

I went last night with a coworker and, well. They have live fish on the counter. Two tanks, I believe, and they are disgusting. The tanks are much too small for the fish, and there is nothing in there but the greyish murky water. No rocks, no little caves, plants...nothing. A friend thinks they are blood parrot fish, and though I'm not totally sure, the internet says they need much more space than that, and they need rocks/caves/stuff to hide in (it also says they're a hybrid that is seen as unethical by a lot of fish enthusiasts -- but like I said, not sure if that's what they are). The water is so cloudy and the tanks are so small I honestly don't see how the fish are even alive.

A couple came in when we were leaving and were also vocal about how awful the tanks looked (The owners remained oblivious).

I really believe those fish are suffering and are living in inhumane conditions. Is there any sort of organization/authority (?) anyone knows of that I can contact that will give a damn about fish? I've sent a contact form to the Shedd Aquarium to see if they have any advice, or if ultimately they would accept the fish, because they do have a rescue/rehab program.

Am I being a busybody myself with this? Should I just leave it alone? It just...it is keeping an animal in inhumane conditions, and I just feel like somebody needs to try to make it right. I feel like the first step would be to try to talk to them about it, but the woman will be the one who takes the lead on it, and she is very unpleasant and I don't think it's going to get anywhere. I'm still going to try, though.

But yeah. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Can I get these fish rescued?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:18 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't think humane standards cover fish in any meaningful way, at least not enough that the SPCA can go in and remove them without consent. Though it probably depends on your municipality.

You could approach a private group about them asking to have the fish surrendered to them, but the restaurant owners would have to be willing to give them up.

Your best bet might be just starting a movement of having friends and acquaintances go in and complain - maybe acting like potential patrons and then saying "oh no those tanks are disgusting, I can't eat here"? Animal care standards might not matter to these people but losing business will.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:25 am 
BAD PASS

A friend who is a member of a local rescue has brought it up on its private Facebook group. I'm meeting her some time tomorrow AT the restaurant.

She sent me a few screen caps from their discussion. A few of them knew right away exactly which restaurant she was talking about. Someone on it says they also have a turtle that is in a similar state of neglect, but I haven't seen it. I just went back and re-read the screen caps, and that group seems pretty ready to help, actually.

I'm kind of looking forward to talking to her about it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:50 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Oh that's good. They'll know what they are in their rights to do. The turtle might change things in their favour and make a real neglect case possible.

I hope your meeting goes well and you guys can come up with a game plan. Please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:22 pm 
BAD PASS

Well, the Shedd says they can't help, but encourage me to keep trying. Hmph.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

As Moon said, so much depends on your municipality... I would try contacting the local SPCA or animal control to ask what your options are.

Speaking with the owners may be your best bet - maybe they are unaware of the fishes needs? Maybe a local pet store would donate/discount a larger tank and or accessories in exchange for a sign advertising their business? It would be a lot of work on your part, but maybe if you can help get the proper supplies they would be willing to make the change.

Any chance the murky water is a health code violation? Maybe the health inspector could at least get them to clean the tanks...

At the very least I would stop eating there and write a letter/email explaining why (I'm too chicken to tell them in person!) and encourage others to do the same.