| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Luring a Runaway Cat Who Hates You Back Home
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:17 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Our anti-social, super high-stress cat has run away. She had been hiding out (in the house) the last couple days because of the noises of fireworks and stuff, so we hadn't seen much of her. I checked on her a few times yesterday while she hid, but at some point between 5:00 pm yesterday and this morning, she escaped. She was probably outside all of last night when there were tonnes of fireworks going off. We found her, unaware she'd been gone, this morning, huddled in the outdoor stairwell that leads to our basement. She was so scared, she didn't resist as D pet her and walked right up to her. She freaked out when he grabbed a towel to wrap and grab her, and she ran, jumped over the fence leading to the front yard, and went somewhere I couldn't see. Now she's gone, and I don't know what to do. She must be terrified. I've called her and shaken her food dish, and currently, I'm just sitting at home with the doors open hoping she comes back.

She's not food motivated and hates her people. Any thoughts on how to lure her back home?

Post subject: Re: Luring a Runaway Cat Who Hates You Back Home
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't have useful advice, but it hope she comes back safely soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:19 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine is dealing with this as well, and I know it is so stressful!

Can someone lend you a Have a Heart trap or other trap? Then put your clothes that have a familiar smell on them into the trap in the last place you saw her and hope she comes to you. Its good that she associates the stairwell with safety though and came there. And we have also had luck with
Spoiler: show
stinky tuna.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have no idea if this would work, but what about putting her litterbox close to the door? Maybe the familiar scent would somehow draw her in? Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind is catnip sprinkled around.

I am hoping she comes home soon. I can only imagine how terrible this is. I would be hysterical to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Thinking good thoughts you and your kitty...that must be awful and terrifying for all involved!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I hope she realizes she hates the world more than you guys and comes home soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:25 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Awwww, Lucy <3. Come home soon, grumblepuss!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Something really stinky like tuna or sardines may help even a non food motivated kitty. Fancy feast is also pretty smelly, and is like crack for most cats.

Most cats stay within a two house radius of home, so that could help narrow down the search area.

I hope she comes home soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 pm 
Chard Martyr

Oh man, that is so stressful. :( My cat who hates me loves Fancy Feast too, and she barely ever eats anything.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:18 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Also make fliers, a lot of people won't blink twice at a cat outside but if they know she has a home, they might. Or if you don't have a printer, you can just kind of walk around the block and show people a picture of her on your phone.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Awwww, Lucy <3. Come home soon, grumblepuss!

+1

Thinking good thoughts for kitty homecoming.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This sucks, JoPa. I hope you find her soon. It's one thing for her to be out, but another thing entirely to not have any idea where she is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh JoPa x It certainly is stressful. My kitty was an indoor baby and loved it until one day he took off and that was it. He kept coming back alright just wasn't a hope of him returning to being satisfied with the indoor life again. He is friends with all the cats in the neighbourhood and even stops by at their homes to hang out. He even has another human and spends time at his house being fed and curling up on top of his stove (I only found out because he is my friend's uncle).

Cats are incredibly smart and excellent at surviving so there is a good chance that she will make her way home. My cat hates me but he still always comes back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Also make fliers, a lot of people won't blink twice at a cat outside but if they know she has a home, they might. Or if you don't have a printer, you can just kind of walk around the block and show people a picture of her on your phone.
This! Do this! I know several people who've been in similar situations and it absolutely worked! In one case the cat had actually got to the next town over, and they still got him back. Sending an avalanche of kitty reunion vibes; please keep updating when you can!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:40 am 
WRETCHED

One of our neighbors had a lost cat and they basically went around the neighborhood with fliers, knocking on people's door. I do hope your kitty comes home.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:36 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yes, fliers! Also, walking around the neighbourhood calling her name. She's probably hiding under someone else's steps at this point, I bet since she's so skittish she hasn't gone far. So many good thoughts for her safe return. <3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thank you, guys. I'm going to make fliers today. I've walked around calling her name, but I can't decide if that would scare her away even more. I would hope that she would realize that even though she's scared of me, she knows me and would want to return to her home, but she's such a forked up cat, that I'm not sure. I'd hoped she'd turn up in the same spot she was yesterday morning, but she hasn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:27 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Jordan, how stressful! I hope she comes home soon.

Once upon a time I had two cats - mine and my ex's - and my cat knocked my ex's cat off the balcony! The ex's cat was a rescued skittish feral and super attached to the kicked out ex, so getting him back was ridiculously hard and took weeks. I just sat in the back of the apartment complex where I 'd last seen the cat every day after I got home from work and eventually he got close enough for me to grab. I know it might sound disheartening, but I did see him around a lot so I knew he was okay, he was just such a, well, fraidy cat that any noise spooked him.

Neighbors were also super nice about letting me look in their backyards - and I did see him flitting around them - so if that's something you feel okay asking, you might at least catch a glimpse of her and know she's okay. I brought flyers with me as well (partly so I didn't look like a creeper).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm 
Semen Strong

I hope that you are okay and am sending lots of good thoughts for Lucy's coming home.

A friend of mine in rescue put together this list of things to do for a lost kitty. https://www.facebook.com/notes/meownty- ... 4508746986

I hope something here is helpful for you.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 am 
Chip Strong

I am so very sorry this is happening.
I just went through a missing dog situation so I understand how devastating and stressful this is.

A media campaign is very important. Put as many fliers up as you can, and even though cats typically do stay within a small radius to their homes, if the cat was freaked out by fireworks or whatever, she may have moved farther away. Expand the notification and search area beyond what you might this is 'reasonable'. If there is a local facebook page that lists lost and found (here we have a '518lostpets' page) post to that. Make sure to look in nooks and small spaces, under porches etc. While she may return on her own, getting the neighborhood involved and invested in her return is very important. If someone sees her, they may leave food out for her and get her return to that spot, establishing a feeding pattern where you could then possibly get her in a trap. Most of all, don't give up hope.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Update! Lucy is ALIVE!

She is out in the back yard, and appears to have been living in the rickety-ass shed out there. She went back in the shed when I approached, so now I just need to figure out how to get her back in the house...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yay!! that's great! good luck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:10 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Maybe if you slowly move into the shed she will relocate to the house.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:10 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm so glad!

What the fork is up with cats hating their rescuer? Lenny is such a little jerk. I've poured hundreds of dollars into her health and wellbeing and she looks disgusted at the sight of me, yet she snuggles up to Jay who originally vehemently argued me rescuing her in the first place. She is totally a teenaged daughter who despises her loving mother.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yay! What a relief. Good luck getting her back into the house!