| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will you please share your bunnie owning experiences...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:24 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My oldest came home with a rescue bunnie. We are exploring possibilities for the long term housing of the little guy (who we named Reptar). I would love to hear other experiences with house bunnies. And with bunnies and cats. I know it is possible to train the rabbit to use a box.
I want to keep him in the house, but I worry that it might not be realistic with that cats.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post subject: Re: Will you please share your bunnie owning experiences...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Bunnies are awesome! I have a bunch of friends who do rabbit rescue, and all of them keep their bunnies indoors - they will confine them to cages or to safe enclosures because the bunnies do chew on things. Being outside is scary for bunnies because they are exposed to the smells of animals that are traditionally their predators. Our friends have rescue bunnies that hang out with their dogs and cats, and they seem totally non-plussed by them. The one thing I would definitely make sure to do is find a good bunny vet. Most vets don't have a ton of experience with buns, so finding a good bunny vet is crucial. Although bunnies can live for about 10 years, most pet bunnies die before they're a year old, because they don't get good vet care, and they die quickly if they get GI stasis and it goes untreated.

I find this a really useful resource: http://www.safehavenrr.org/rabbitcarelinks.html

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:43 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Very easy to toilet train a rabbit. When I had one I used leave him out (under supervision) and he would look to go back into his cage to use his box when it was toilet time. The biggest thing with rabbits is they LOVE to chew. Way more than any other animal so they can't be without supervision when they are out. My cat never had any problems with the rabbit. He is rude anyway and ignored the rabbit. My last dog was very protective of him and would follow the rabbit every where to make sure he was ok.

If you are keeping him inside clean the toilet box out once a day because they can get very stinky!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Unfortunately pretty much every cage marketed for rabbits is way too small. Home made c&c cages and enclosures with dog exercise pens are common. Some people do well rabbit proofing small rooms, closets and hallways instead of doing traditional caging.

Unless the rabbit is particularly small, I doubt you'll have much trouble with the cats, unless the cats are particularly aggressive.

Is he neutered? It's not unusual for males to spray (although not unusual for them not to spray also) so definitely need to scope out bunny vets who are comfortable doing surgeries now.