| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me about automatic pet feeders
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ever since we had to put our kitty on a diet, she's become a little mischief maker. The problem is, we feed her once a day, (7 pm, when there's reliably always at least one of us at home and awake) and although she doesn't eat her food all at once, she does tend to finish it all hours before feeding hour, and then she lets her displeasure be known by eating/chewing on inedible things. (She only seems to do this in our presence, so we think she's hoping that we'll take the hint and feed her.) We'd like to split her food portion between two or more feedings a day, but the problem is, we want her to get her food at a consistent time, but our schedules are such that only the evening feeding can happen the same time every day.

Cornelie and I were talking about this recently and she suggested an automatic food dispenser, but there are lots on the market, so I'd love to hear people's experiences using them. We'd be looking for one that can dispense food several times a day, but not cover the food in between feedings. We'd also prefer one that would allow us to use our own ceramic bowl or at least uses a non-plastic bowl. Any and all tips are welcome!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Tell me about automatic pet feeders
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:18 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My mom used to have this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo

It's got bad reviews on the website but she never mentioned a problem. Ginger eventually ate the feeder - it's made out of plastic - but before that it was reliable. She only used it one day a week when she worked out of town, though, so complaints about battery life might be valid for every day feeding.

Post subject: Re: Tell me about automatic pet feeders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:18 pm 
Tofu Pup

We used this http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Feeder-LARGE-Dogs-Pigs/dp/B001OLYHXA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1389064217&sr=1-4 for my diabetic dog several years ago and it worked out really well. Ours was purchases around 2002 and I see that recent reviews are not as favorable. Mac ate 4 times a day and we generally only used it for his 2 midday feedings. On our version the plastic bowl was removable and I think if you used a straight-sided bowl of the right height you could easily use your own dish. Ours was used for around 7 years,right up until his death, and it was still working just fine. I do remember that there was a fair amount of fiddling with the timer on it to get the right amount of food to dispense but once you got the right time/measurement you were all set.
Hope that helps.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]