| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:15 pm 
ugh
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 2579
Location: north of Boston, MA, USA
Quote:
"Our latest investigation exposes a callous disregard for animal welfare in the turkey industry, including practices such as grinding alive sick, injured, and even healthy but unwanted turkeys," stated Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS. "It’s unacceptable for workers to leave injured and non-ambulatory animals to suffer on the floor for hours on end, only to then send them to their deaths in a grinder."

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press ... 12310.html

I know this sort of thing isn't much news for us, but I posted this to Facebook almost immediately, and I hope you guys will, too. If this can get even one person to reconsider putting a bird on the table, it will be worth all the stupid "next to my mashed potatoes" shiitake other people will post. I do wish the investigation appeared earlier, though, since a lot of people have probably bought their turkey already.

_________________

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 1574
Location: Watertown, MA
b.vicious wrote:
Quote:
"Our latest investigation exposes a callous disregard for animal welfare in the turkey industry, including practices such as grinding alive sick, injured, and even healthy but unwanted turkeys," stated Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS. "It’s unacceptable for workers to leave injured and non-ambulatory animals to suffer on the floor for hours on end, only to then send them to their deaths in a grinder."

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press ... 12310.html

I know this sort of thing isn't much news for us, but I posted this to Facebook almost immediately, and I hope you guys will, too. If this can get even one person to reconsider putting a bird on the table, it will be worth all the stupid "next to my mashed potatoes" shiitake other people will post. I do wish the investigation appeared earlier, though, since a lot of people have probably bought their turkey already.



Im at work so I can't open the link but I'm pretty sure I posted the same one last night.

_________________
blog! twitter! facebook! etsy!
xgfx - Review Squadron Team!
My vulva serves at least 50 people, if you know what I'm sayin'. - just mumbles
The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm 
ugh
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 2579
Location: north of Boston, MA, USA
VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Im at work so I can't open the link but I'm pretty sure I posted the same one last night.

Yup, I saw it in my feed!

_________________

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:17 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 1574
Location: Watertown, MA
b.vicious wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Im at work so I can't open the link but I'm pretty sure I posted the same one last night.

Yup, I saw it in my feed!


Im going to post the butterball one tonight

_________________
blog! twitter! facebook! etsy!
xgfx - Review Squadron Team!
My vulva serves at least 50 people, if you know what I'm sayin'. - just mumbles
The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm
Posts: 1454
So proud of my state . . . .

The local paper ran an article where they made sure to include plenty of quotes from "agricultural experts" that everything at the plant was standard practice in the industry. So because it's standard makes it acceptable?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 400
Location: Minneapolis, MN
fatcat wrote:
So proud of my state . . . .

The local paper ran an article where they made sure to include plenty of quotes from "agricultural experts" that everything at the plant was standard practice in the industry. So because it's standard makes it acceptable?


I saw that too! I've never done so much eye-rolling.

_________________
MN Vegan blog-->http://www.mnvegan.blogspot.com

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Posts: 354
fatcat wrote:
So proud of my state . . . .


Ditto.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inhumane Treatment at Turkey Industry’s Largest Hatchery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 61
I spent Thanksgiving totally depressed as my husband insisted on getting a turkey and doing thanksgiving which I'm totally against especially since I found out my ancestors are native american, not to mention the suffering of the poor turkeys. It wasn't until I broke down crying that he finally gave up. After I talked with him about topics like the link posted he finally agreed not to do thanksgiving next year. I guess it's progress!!

_________________
I won't tell you how to live your life so please stay far away from mine


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer