| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gardening!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

It's November and all I can think about is gardening. I would love to hear how your gardens went this past season and your plans for your next garden! Do you have a blog about it? EVEN BETTER! There's nothing more awesome than browsing blogs and photos in the dead of winter. I just revamped mine for the 2011 season after neglecting it this season:

http://myheartshapedgarden.blogspot.com/

If you have photos from this year, post them too!

The larger plot this past August.

That tall mass of plants are tomatoes that got over 6 feet fall (but they all fell over, boo).

Post subject: Re: Gardening!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

yay! you might get more replies in the "workshop" section.

my gardening blog is in my sig. yours looks like it's coming along nicely!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:56 am 

Oh! Last time I was here I thought I noticed gardening in the Yard. Maybe a mod can move it for me. My bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:52 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I am somehow so excited about gardening next season. My past three years have been major flops--big aphid invasion, plumbing work that necessitated digging up my whole garden, then being away too much and not being able to water properly. But I bought four pre-made raised bed containers on sale last month, which I'm thinking will make a big difference in how well my plants are able to grow. I can't wait to start planning plants!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:27 am 

Pop! wrote:
I am somehow so excited about gardening next season. My past three years have been major flops--big aphid invasion, plumbing work that necessitated digging up my whole garden, then being away too much and not being able to water properly. But I bought four pre-made raised bed containers on sale last month, which I'm thinking will make a big difference in how well my plants are able to grow. I can't wait to start planning plants!

Oh raised beds, I'm jealous! I read this watering tip a few years ago:
Use plastic milk jugs (get them from family? or paper cartons may work?) and put a few very small holes in the bottom (a little bigger than pin-holes, like the point of a pen), fill them up with water, cap the top and place them around on the soil near your plants that require a lot of water. There should be a controlled amount of water dribbling into the soil as the soil drys out and that'll help you over a few days if you can't get to them! I am going to try this next year with my melons, they can't get enough water.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:10 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

kibbles wrote:
Pop! wrote:

Oh raised beds, I'm jealous! I read this watering tip a few years ago:
Use plastic milk jugs (get them from family? or paper cartons may work?) and put a few very small holes in the bottom (a little bigger than pin-holes, like the point of a pen), fill them up with water, cap the top and place them around on the soil near your plants that require a lot of water. There should be a controlled amount of water dribbling into the soil as the soil drys out and that'll help you over a few days if you can't get to them! I am going to try this next year with my melons, they can't get enough water.

I've done this for a couple of years and it doesn't seem to be quite enough water still...I'd have to dedicate too much garden space to jugs in the ground to get sufficient water in there. Why do I keep trying to garden in the desert? Someday I'll have drip!