| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan dogs
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hey there-

I went looking for a thread like this, but couldn't really find what I was looking for.....

Do any of you have a dog that has thrived on a vegan diet long term (ie years). If so, what is your food of choice, and what breed/size is your dog?

My first two dogs I had as an adult did well on a vegan diet. They loved tofu and fruit and veg, and I also bought a vegan kibble as a supplement to the "real" foods I made for them (don't remember the brand, but it was PRICEY).

My current dog is not vegan, all due to me, obviously. I don't know why, other than the cost of the kibble, I'm having a hard time with him being vegan. I guess I'm scared he won't be healthy? He eats some vegan stuff, but also eats meat/eggs/dairy.

What do you all feed your dogs? And how do the vegan ones fare?

thanks!

Post subject: Re: Vegan dogs
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 pm 
Semen Strong

V-Dog is great! My dog Cuddles is a pitt/lab mix (about 70lbs) who has been happily vegan for 6 years. He is 10 and in excellent health. V-Dog eliminated his allergies and ear infections, so we are very pleased with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yes, I think V-dog was what I was getting before! thanks for the reply. And it's good to hear about his size, too. My guy is about 100 pounds, so it's nice to hear your large pup is doing well on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Dead by dawn

Amos is a 6 year old doxie. He's not totally vegan; I'm totally OK with other people giving him meaty treats. But he's been on a predominantly vegan diet for, I don't know... getting close to 5 years anyway (he was definitely on an organic chicken-based kibble for awhile after he graduated from puppy food, I just don't remember how long.)

We tried V-Dog first but he just didn't like it one bit, poor little man. He's been happily eating Natural Balance since then. I don't advertise to his vet that he's vegan but he boards there and I bring his food when he boards so they theoretically know he's vegan, anyway. He's doing great on it. He's never been sick and when he's had blood work done (pre-anesthetic, for dental cleanings) his organ functions have all been perfect. He's energetic and playful and I gotta think that points to good overall health.

I addition to the NB kibble, he gets Sam's Yams pretty regularly for treats. I also give him plain uncooked tofu, which he loves (he's a weird kid,) lentils, chickpeas, veggies, and pumpkin... just nibbles of stuff I'm cooking with.