| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat fights
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Backstory : last year I fostered a cat named Desi. She developed gastrointestinal problems and was hospitalized. She was there almost a year and the rescue had no place to put her. When my cat Chuckles died we took her on as a foster. She started out in a crate and gradually we let her out with the other cats. She has been with us since April now. She has suddenly started attacking the other cats, particularly two males. She is now back in the crate. We have feliway and a calming collar already. We already have segregated cats so have no other room to put her in . Prozac makes her IBD flare up. She's pretty much unadoptable-the IBD requires a special expensive diet and meds and she leaks poop sometimes and she pees inappropriately. We are willing to deal with all that, but the fighting is just not going to work. We have an FIV+ cat who can't take the stress and a cerebellar hypoplasia cat who can't defend herself.

Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do now?

Post subject: Re: Cat fights
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I found a water spray bottle most effective when Lovey was bothering Thurston but then he'd be back at it again in two minutes especially during times of high energy. I would also distract Lovey with a chase/string game when he was bothering Thurston, too and found that worked really well. These measures were effective on an in-the-moment type basis. I noticed Lovey had two hours around every day where he was very high energy and just going to be a nuisance and not responding well to disciplines and "no" and spraying/playing weren't going to cut it for long so I probably would have separated them during those "nuisance" or high energy hours. I also had a jar of pennies which I would shake to startle them when they started tangling but I didn't find that particular idea very effective--but I think what works and what doesn't depends on the individual kitty.

I know you have lots of animal and plenty of experience with them so I feel that there's nothing new I can suggest to you. I read plenty on line when I was integrating Thurston and Lovey about aggression between cats and cat social behavior. I also bought a kitty condo so they'd have more perches and "safe places" to go but Thurston died a day after installing that so I have no idea if that might have helped as a distractor too.

I would try playing and water spray as those seemed to be the most effective in my situation--but definitely temporary working-for-the-moment measures and not long term solutions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

How about trying a product called "soft paws". They are basically little plastic nail caps that come in different sizes (and fun colors) that you glue onto their nails. They are humane and don't bother the cat (although some cats don't like being held and having them applied). They last a month or two but fall off one by one as they shed the outside layer of their claws. Once they start to fall off a quick check every day or so to see if any need to be replaced is a good idea. It's basically a humane way of declawing. I am personally against declawing, but this is one instance where I might think it was ok (have to think about that one) since this cat doesn't seem like it has any other alternatives other than you making it work in your home.

They also look punk rock!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I didn't think of soft paws for aggression! Our vet gave them to us for a cat with Ehlers - Danlos so she wouldn't tear hee skin open (ED effects collagen production so a little scratch on her was a big deal).

The water bottle could work too. We use it on our rowdy male when he is picking on his one cat friend.

The strange part is I had ten cats in a less than 300 sq fy apartment with none of these issues. As soon as we moved to a house all hell broke loose.

I think we need Jackson Galaxy.

Eta-she has no interest in any of the interactive toys we have, or the ones that they can play with alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:46 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I was thinking about the soft paws some more after posting. I just want to add that I'd monitor things very closely since the aggressive cat with soft paws would be unable to defend him/herself, you'd have to be careful that s/he wasn't in a vulnerable position where s/he could get hurt.