| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tegan's first vacation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My mom and Tegan and I went to our cottage on Cape Cod for the weekend. This was the first time we had taken her on a trip, so we didn't know how she would do. I gave her a dose of L-theanine in her breakfast before we left, and she was fine for the car ride. When we go to the cottage, she was nervous about going inside, and preferred to stay out in the yard for a while.

She went inside eventually, and checked things out. Once the L-theanine wore off, she started to get anxious, pacing and whining. I gave her another dose in her supper to settle her down.

She didn't make any noise in her crate at night, and seemed a little bit more relaxed the next day.

We took her to the pond for a walk, and she met lots of dogs. She was very good about walking, especially considering that she had never been there before. And then she tried swimming.

She has the survival instincts of a rock, so I thought I had better get her a life vest. And it's a good thing I did, because once she waded into the water, she stuck all her legs out, but didn't seem to understand that you actually have to move your limbs to swim. So she just kind of floated there with her legs sticking out.

She didn't even know that she was supposed to hold her head up, and she just kind of let her face drop into the water. So I held her head up for a little while, until she had figured that out. Getting her to actually move her feet took longer.

She finally started to paddle with her front feet. Her back feet were still just kind of floating, bu at least it was a start.

For a dog who is afraid of everything, she was incredible calm in the water! She just kind of floated around for a while, and then we coaxed her back to shore and dried her off and drove back to the cottage. SHe was really very good on the ride home, too. Hopefully she will remember the place on the next trip there, and will be even better about it.

Post subject: Re: Tegan's first vacation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aweee Tegan! She's so beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:24 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yay, Tegan! What a sweetheart. Her attempts at swimming were so cute.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

She is adorable! You are so wonderful and patient with her!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm pretty sure Tegan is my favorite PPK dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, you guys. Tegan would snuggle all of you if she could!

She loves people, but for some reason no one stops to pet her. It's so weird, because people would come running to pet Sable, but everyone just ignores Tegan, even when she is obviously wanting them to pet her. Maybe it has something to do with the different colouring (like how black dogs and cats are overlooked in shelters)? So when we were down the Cape, my mom asked a couple people if they would mind saying hi to her, because we're working on socializing her. The first guy she asked was in a dog supply store, so we were pretty sure he liked dogs. He said, "Oh, sure!" and then suddenly lunged forward and put his face against Tegan's face. I don't even know what he was doing! He just stood there, leaning over her with his face pressed against her head. Tegan was like "Um, what the fork?" and took a couple steps back. So we learned that if we ask people to say hi to her, we have to carefully explain how they should do so! The next couple of people did better, and Tegan got more confident. Then after she "swam" in the pond, we met a nice lady with a lab, and Tegan happily jumped up and put her soaking wet feet on the lady's shirt. Whoops!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so odd, isn't it? Everyone stops to tell me how handsome Cuddles is and to pet him, and he's a pretty shabby looking dog. Just a brown pitt-lab mutt who moves really slowly and isn't very interested in people. I mean, I love him and think he's great, but I'm surprised and heartened by how many people respond so well to him.

Glad you had a great vacation! Love the photos!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Awww, I'd pet and fawn over Tegan if I could! She's so floofy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
That is so odd, isn't it? Everyone stops to tell me how handsome Cuddles is and to pet him, and he's a pretty shabby looking dog. Just a brown pitt-lab mutt who moves really slowly and isn't very interested in people. I mean, I love him and think he's great, but I'm surprised and heartened by how many people respond so well to him.

Yeah, I don't really get why people don't interact with Tegan. Some people will say, "Oh, what a pretty dog!", but then they just keep walking and don't ask if they can pet her. Sometimes they will see her and cross to the other side of the street. And with Sable, I had the opposite, with people crossing to our side so they could pet her. Both pretty, floofy, friendly female collies. The only difference I can see is that Sable was gold and white, and Tegan is black/tan/white.

My coworker has a brindle pit bull, and everyone is drawn to her. Unfortunately, some people freak out after they ask what kind of dog she is and get the response "She's a pit bull". (After they have been petting and hugging her for 10 minutes and seen that she is obviously not aggressive!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 pm 
Semen Strong

I wonder if its the energy level too. Cuddles is so slow moving that he doesn't really intimidate people. My MIL's dog is a beautiful brindled pitty girl with huge green eyes, but she is always on alert and jumpy, and people don't ask to pet her etc.

Its interesting too, because I thought people would want to talk to Leela (my daughter) more than the dog, but instead on every dog walk, people stop us to pet Cuddles or talk about him and don't even notice her. Even other kids will stop and want to pet Cuddles, as Leela is trying to get them to play with her. She doesn't seem to care at all, but its really funny that Cuddles ends up being such a star.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Adorable video & Tegan in life vest!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

So adorbs! I love Tegan!

I always tell people I love their dogs (when running/walking past them in the park--I'll say "beautiful dog!" as I go by about any dog, pretty much, because any dog is a beautiful dog to me and I love them all. I'll also ask if it's okay to pet them if I'm not running). I would totally snuggle Tegan!

We had a dog growing up (black german shepherd named Falcon) and she loved to swim and would go diving all the time for rocks. She wore her teeth down from gnawing on rocks. She was a good diver though and got very comfy in the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dammit she is such a superstar! I get such a kick out of your Teagan stories.

I would always get a kick out of walking my dogs with a friend and her dogs, and kids would always gravitate the most to the two dogs out of five that want NOTHING TO DO WITH CHILDREN. The other three would be so excited and the kids would be saying "no, I want to pet THAT one!"

Teagan can jump on me with her muddy feet any time. Well, almost any time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just want to cuddle Teagan all day. She is just adorable.

And our lab is always so sad when we walk by someone and they say hi to her but don't pet here. Last weekend only the runners didn't stop to say hi to her and she was just beside herself. When it's a walk where we don't see a lot of people or people don't pet her though, she just has the most pitiful look on her face. She's probably the reason why I always ask to pet other peoples dogs if they look like they want to be pet. I don't want to make all the other dogs sad like her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The thought of Tegan not being patted by everyone she hoped to be patted by actually made me cry this afternoon - yes, it's been one of those days. I want to make a vest for her that says "please pet me, I'm very friendly"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aw, well she gets lots of petting and snuggles at home! I live with my parents and everyone works different shifts, so there's always almost someone home to pet her. She walks around the house wagging her tail all day because she's so happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm 
Chip Strong

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
She walks around the house wagging her tail all day because she's so happy.

The thought of this just made me so happy. I love Tegan. I love that she's so pretty and regal but she balances it out by being so friendly and energetic and kind of dumb. Yay puppy!

We took our dog (who died about a month ago) on her first vacation just last summer. I don't know why we didn't do it sooner. It had to do with her being a pound puppy and us being worried about her being in a new environment and all the other unknown factors. Anyway, I'm really glad we got to take her and it's a really good memory. I didn't want to dump on your thread with sad stuff; I just wanted to convey how lovely it is that Tegan got to go with you on vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We got back last night from Tegan's second ever vacation! She did really well, and she even tried swimming again. This time she figured out how to move around in the water on her own, without me helping her!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awwww....I just love her!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I could watch videos of you teaching Tegan to swim, narrated by your mom, all day.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

allularpunk wrote:
narrated by your mom

"She appears to be listing... and possibly drowning..."

The best part, which wasn't caught on camera, was when random people showed up while I was trying to demonstrate how to doggie paddle to Tegan. The people stood there and watched for like 5 minutes while Tegan floated in place and I paddled around like an idiot, and then they tried to send their dog into the water with us. Their dog walked in a few feet and stopped, and then Tegan started crying because she hadn't figured out how to move forward yet and she wanted to see the dog. So I had to float her towards the other dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

'Tegan...is trying to learn to swim! ...Not very successfully...'

And Tegan will get it eventually, I hope! My border collie swam right off the bat, but hated it, so I never got to swim with him. I want swimming doggies for everyone!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh my gosh, Tegan learning to swim is the best thing ever!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

D'awww!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

She's SO cute! I'm surprised she liked the water so much without knowing how to swim!