| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What kind of pet should I get?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

I want to get a pet other than a dog or cat but can't decide what to get. It needs to be easy to take care of, fun to play with, and doesn't need to be fed live bugs (I'm kind of squeamish) or be a rodent or gerbil type animal (rodents freak me out lol). Any ideas? Please give me some suggestions :)

Post subject: Re: What kind of pet should I get?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Define "easy." I can't think of any pets that are truly easy to take care of.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Adopt a turkey or other animal from Farm Sanctuary - they'll send you a picture and you'll know in your heart that you did a good thing! Or volunteer at a dog, cat or other animal shelter - you can get lots of cuddles and love without a lifetime commitment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

What kind of pet experience do you have? For me dogs and cats are fairly easy to take care of, but someone that has no dog or cat experience would have a different opinion!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 am 
Level 7 Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
Define "easy." I can't think of any pets that are truly easy to take care of.

Yup. The "easiest" pet I can think of would probably be a hamster, which still requires a lot of cage cleaning and stuff. And the OP doesn't like rodents anyway, so...

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Their list of "no"s is quite impressive! I mean, what does that even leave?! I'd think they were spam what with their one post and all but, hmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:51 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Could you adopt a bunny rabbit? They can live indoors and are great companions. They also live happily on a raw vegan diet ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've never had one, but I wouldn't consider a rabbit an easy pet. Actually, I wouldn't consider any pet as easy. They all have their own special requirements, including cleaning, vet care, special diets, etc. All animals (even the easiest ones to care for) can get sick, and easy goes out the window, and then your easy pet is a special needs animal that still deserves the best care possible. I don't know if the OP is a spammer (I kind of suspect so), but I feel like if you're looking for pet ownership to be easy, you may want to consider that you're not ready for pet ownership.

I may be extra sensitive about this, because when I was working at an animal ambulance service, I was amazed at how many people just forking dumped rabbits and hamsters and guinea pigs on the street because they clearly required more care than people were willing to give, and it was to the point that there was no room at any of the rabbit rescues because of how often this happened.

I guess the subject just gets my hackles up because of this. (Not helped by stories like the one Jigglypuff posted about the duck in Vegan Pet Peeves.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Though to be fair, my hamster definitely demanded less of me than my cats did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sure, and I consider cats infinitely easier than dogs to take care of. (Like I never have to change out of my PJs when my cat needs to poo.) I guess I just worry (for the above-mentioned reasons) when someone says they're looking for an easy pet that that means they're looking for a no-care pet and I don't think such a thing exists. (Like I said, I may be extra sensitive about this topic because of my experience of having to rescue rabbits and so-called "pocket pets" who were left to starve and fend for themselves on the street or in abandoned lots.)

I guess I'm just trying to voice that no matter how easy a pet is, they're still a commitment and you need to do your research and make sure that you're ready for that commitment before bringing any animal into your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, if you want an easy pet, you probably should not get a pet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

People think parakeets are "easy" but that's only because mean people can stick them in a cage and forget about them. Birds are a forkload of work if you give them a proper home. And the smaller ones can be the worst because they are messy as hell. Molly generates more mess than the macaw by a factor of at least 3. My mom likes to say that she (Molly) just takes after her mom (har har...).

Birds can be be messy, but they need food and water changed frequently (water and fresh veggies often), but mostly they just require a lot of socialization and routine to be happy. They need to be part of your flock.

I know pretty much everybody here knows all this, but there are so many sad, neglected birds that I think it always bears repeating.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Get a dog. One made out of plastic. Easy maintenance, sits pretty on a shelf, no veterinary bills, no having to remember to flea and worm dose and no mess to clean up.

My advice is if you are looking for "easy" then don't get anything living. All animals come with their pros and cons. Out of all the animals I have had over time none have been easy. The easiest was the hamster once I cleaned out the cage regularly and kept supplies with food and water and daily handling. Then it came to him dying. It took him months to die. Well it felt like months when you hear them screaming in pain and then your vet won't believe you because they hamster doesn't look that old because you have cared so well for it.

Birds..... most things are toxic to them..... no more tefal coated appliances or cookwear allowed in the house, no hairspray, spray deodorant or basically anything that sprays, no more candles and my God are they messy. Birds have been my most demanding of pets.

My rabbit hated being handled but only because he was sick so often. He had fairly severe anemia and was given hours to live on numerous occassions. He cost me the most in vet bills and medication over the years. The vet was always amazed when each time he pulled through. And when he was sick I would have to wrap him in a towel and basically restrain him to force feed antibiotics and liquid iron. I was constantly destroyed in cuts and massive scratches on my arms, chest and stomach.

Then there was the goldfish. They all died when our water got severely contaminated by a virus. Also, they get a lot of different fungal infections and viruses and usually if one gets it they all get it and nothing seems to ever manage to survive in that tank ever again.

As for the dog and the cat....... there are holes in my furniture, my whole house needs repainting and major landscaping required to the garden thanks to the dog. As for the cat....... he hates me. Cats hate people mostly.

Any other animals I could turn you off??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:25 pm 
A Bad Person

Have you considered a pet duck? They're toddler safe!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Daisychain, I'm sorry, but your post made me laugh. It's all so true.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:28 am 
Chip Strong

I know lots of people think rabbits are easy and relatively maintenance free but that is really not the case.
As they shouldn't be locked in a cage, they need space to romp, jump, climb and play, and a space that is 'rabbit proof' as they will chew on ANYTHING so that basically means no cords, no floor boards, no towels etc.
They need fresh hay at all times (and depending on their age, the kind of hay changes), they need fresh greens, supplemented by small amounts of fruits and veggies. While it is a vegan diet, it aint cheap!! and you need to be careful because they have very sensitive guts that can get backed up very very easily. And no matter how litter box trained they may be, there is constant sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning, emptying boxes, checking water (my guys drink alot!!) Most don't like to be handled/picked up so you can't really 'play' with them the way you can with other animals. and because rabbits bond and most need a mate, you are talking two rabbits and twice the work/expense.

Easy pet?? aint no such thing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:54 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh oh! Tamagotchi!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:09 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

no way! tamagotchi are so demanding! maybe a dust bunny. i find that they really thrive when i pay almost no attention to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, I had a knock-off tamagotchi and it required more care than an actual live animal. I had to feed that stupid thing and clean up the poop constantly, or it would get upset. One day I went on a 2 hour horseback ride. I had the I Can't Believe it's Not a Tamagotchi! in my pocket, but I couldn't just stop my horse in the middle of the woods to take care of it. ("Oh, hey, guys, you go on, I just have to shovel some digital tamagotchi shiitake here.") I checked it as soon as I got back to the barn, and it showed the little not-a-tamagotchi dog walking away with a bindle, saying "I'm off to a new home!" I was pretty pissed off. I didn't give it attention for a 2 hour period, so it ran away? Talk about needy.

(I may have been a bit resentful over the fact that my mom bought me the generic tamagotchi when all my friends had the real version. Just a little.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:18 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm going to go with the duck answer. If you get tired of it, just drop it off at the local pond. If it dies, just go get another.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I hear guinea pigs in armor are durable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Olives wrote:
I hear guinea pigs in armor are adorable.

Fixed it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

lavawitch wrote:
People think parakeets are "easy" but that's only because mean people can stick them in a cage and forget about them. Birds are a forkload of work if you give them a proper home.

I've only had my adopted parakeets since September, but still, it makes me really sad when people think they are "easy" pets, or don't think they qualify as "real" pets.
I think of that misconception every time I'm in Petco buying toys and treats for my little guys and I see all the baby birds there, and then I think that someone is going to buy them for their kid thinking they are "easy starter pets", and they are going to end up neglected.

WAHH! Sorry. I love parakeets so much.