| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When your dog eats like a bird.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't know why, but Fawkes is not a big eater. After Chester, and Harley also being the 'swallow first ask questions later' kind of dog, it's really weird to me. First off, he won't stop anyone from eating his food so now that Chester isn't here to growl at the cats and Harley if the come near the bowl, I have to shoo the cats out of the sunroom and close us both in here. Then I have to put him in front of his bowl several times and some meals, he won't even take a bite. He finishes his bowl about once a week, and I make it a point to not give him a lot so it's not because i'm trying to overfeed him. He likes cookies because he gets the concept of a treat, but sometimes when I try to get him to eat he looks like I just told him I killed his mother.

I don't really know where i'm going with this because i'm not really looking for advice, but does anyone else have a dog who just doesn't care about their food?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post subject: Re: When your dog eats like a bird.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is my sister's dog completely. He's like 12 now and he's always been this way, so clearly he's not starving to death or anything. But he is a total weirdo about food and sometimes gives you that mother-killer look when you try to coax him. It's so weird to me because every dog I've had has basically been an indiscriminate food vacuum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My sister-in-law's dog goes through phases where he just flat out refuses to eat. For days! Sometimes his stomach gets upset and he associates it with food, according to his vet, so he doesn't want to eat, no matter what kind of food - so then sometimes he makes himself sick from not eating! It's not anything I've seen with any other dog.

Some canned pumpkin mixed in with his food helps him get interested in food again eventually, but it sounds like your guy isn't making himself ill and is maybe just extra dainty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, he always gets excited about the feed ritual and comes running, but then he looks at it and is like, "Oh, this. Nevermind." Very rarely does he chow down. Usually he'll eat the wet food, which is about a tablespoon, and a little of the dry.

He was actually eating really well after we moved until Chester died.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Holy crepe, you people have never had to feed birds. They eat. all. damn. day. It costs way more to feed a tiny bird than to buy ye old sack of pet crepe from Costco (I'm sure the nicer stuff that lots of people here buy costs as much or more than parrot food). And they throw most of it on the floor!

Sorry, the thread title made me giggle a little. Especially since I just spent $50 on bird pellets last week. Molly eats more than the macaw! Seriously, it is pretty incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Cammie is like this too. Since she's the only animal in the house, I let her free feed and it's never been a problem. When we have a guest dog, I do pick her food up and she'll eat what I give her if my brother's dog is here (She's a lab and eats as fast as she possibly can), but she's never really in a hurry to do it.

I figure that she'll eat if she's hungry... if she were to go more than a few days or refused treats then I'd get concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vee is funny about food. I had to stop feeding him twice a day, because he would cry and get upset over his breakfast and try to bury it. Following his vet's suggestion, I just feed him once a day, later in the afternoon when I know he's hungry. He's also really picky about treats and people food. He would like to eat white rice and chicken baby food every day, but lo that is not in his cards.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ginny used to be like that, with lots of different types of foods. When I switched her to Acana Pacifica though, she eats likes a mad woman though! Seriously she doesn't even chew. It takes about two seconds per bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Maybe he is stressed or upset because Chester is gone?

My experience with this is shortly after we adopted Maddy. At first she absolutely inhaled her food, because I suspect she didn't eat much at the pound/and then the rescue - she is pretty submissive so I could see the other dogs bullying her out of her food unless they were all strictly supervised. Anyway, after she figured out she was going to get food every day, her interest waned. She eventually got in the groove again, but I gave her a window of an hour and a half or so to eat. If she didn't eat, I took it away. This might sound harsh, but if I didn't, Zoe would've ate her food and I wanted to get Maddy on a schedule. I'd give her a little something the next morning, because I did feel bad, but that evening she ate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My dogs have fallen into a weird dominance feeding thing. Neither one of them snaps over every-day feeding and neither one tries to steal the other's food unless the other dog has completely ignored it for the day, but Ginger has like completely defaulted to Chester in terms of when she's "allowed" to eat. She won't touch her food if he hasn't gotten his yet, she'll only eat about half, she'll stop as soon as he stops. The only time she eats her whole bowl of food is if we take it inside and lock Chester out and move the bowl from view.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

When Tegan had bronchitis, she went through a period of a couple of weeks of not wanting to eat anything at all. I tried everything (different foods, table scraps, even Basko's disgusting smelling kibble). I finally found that coconut oil was the solution. I would melt a little bit and drizzle it over her food and she would scarf it down. She also likes a sprinkle of nooch. And if I put her regular meals in a treat dispensing toy, she gets all excited, like she thinks it has turned into treats.

Now she gets picky some days, because she is a spoiled brat ("But I had chickpeas yesterday! I want black beans today!"), so I just say "Oh well, too bad," and tell Basko to eat her food. The first few times, Basko ate all the food and Tegan just had to go hungry until the next mealtime. Now as soon as he starts eating, she gets upset and shoves him out of the way and eats the rest of her food. (Obviously not a good idea for dogs with food guarding issues, but Basko and Tegan aren't aggressive at all. Tegan is just VERY competitive.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

maia is really finicky about food, and she gets bored easily. she hates natural balance kibble (sigh) so we get her evolution, but even with that, sometimes she acts like it's delicious, sometimes she couldn't care less.

we've been through a range of food frustrations with her in the past 5+ years, but one thing we did that actually helped is: once we recognized that she liked canned better than dry, we started giving her only canned for breakfast, and then only dry (but wet down so it's like "spongy with gravy" for dinner. that made breakfast (her more challenging meal) more of an exciting treat, and it also had the benefit of never getting the same meal twice in a row.

right now, though, she's in a finicky phase again, so we're doing half-canned, half-wet-down-kibble (at every meal), and it's working at the moment. she's a nut. she doesn't even care about most treats! her favorite things in the world are tater tots, cheezy pasta, and corn on the cob.

we also can use avery (one of our cats) as a good motivator... for some reason only avery, but not finley (our other cat) will make her decide to eat if he wanders by at a difficult mealtime.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I wonder if it is just eating styles. We went to a holistic vet, who said it was better for dogs to eat all their meal at one sitting, and Cuddles is more of a free feeder who likes to graze out of his bowl slowly all through the day. He eats the same amount, but spread out. The vet suggested that we give him food and then take it away and make it clear that the new rule is you get 10 minutes to eat and then you don't get food until the next meal. But that seemed uncivilized, so we never did it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We feed Bonnie once a day when it gets hot. She's just not interested in food when it's hot out in the morning but I guess by dinner (we feed late because we are night owls) She is hungry and maybe it's also cooler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Toby is a weird eater too. Sometimes he'll eat his whole bowl in one sitting, sometimes he'll graze all day, and sometimes he'll hardly take a bite and leave it until the next day. The cats will eat it if I'm not in the room though, so lately, I'm having to just bring it to him and tell him to eat. Sometimes he will, and sometimes he won't. I haven't asked the vet about it. He's not starving or anything, so I figured it's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
I wonder if it is just eating styles. We went to a holistic vet, who said it was better for dogs to eat all their meal at one sitting, and Cuddles is more of a free feeder who likes to graze out of his bowl slowly all through the day. He eats the same amount, but spread out. The vet suggested that we give him food and then take it away and make it clear that the new rule is you get 10 minutes to eat and then you don't get food until the next meal. But that seemed uncivilized, so we never did it.

Uncivilized, LOL. Sorry to laugh, just strikes me as a funny word for the situation.

Big fan of closed feeding time with pooches. 15 minutes, that's all you get at my house. Food down all the time makes it harder to track how much they're eating, if they're eating at all, keeping bathroom breaks consistent and if they're having BMs at appropriate times post eating. Also makes it harder to motivate them with food if you are doing a training regimen. And easier to figure out if they're actually getting all the food they're supposed to be and that no cats are kids are pilfering from the bowl.

It his BMs are good, he's not really over weight, he's not pooping inappropriately in the house and you're totally sure no one else is eating his food for him, then it's not the end of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Drake will only eat if we make a game out of it, watch him while encouraging/congratulating him for each bite, or add some other food to his bowl (he probably refuses to eat because he knows he'll get this eventually). So high maintenance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:13 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Even though I know it's not, every time I see this thread I imagine it being about a dog that actually eats like a bird, you know, pecking at worms and stuff. And then I'm disappointed when I remember that it isn't.