| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need tasty home made dog treats recipe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:29 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Based on PPK advice I'm working on counter-conditioning and desensitizing Bella. I went to the store to pick up some dog treats and OMG these things are bloody expensive. A bag is like $8 and there aren't a lot of treats in there. If it is a busy day on the trail I can go through half a bag easily.

Does anyone have any great recipes to make tasty dog treats at home?

She likes liver treats and they are very pricey. Can I just buy some liver (major yuck factor) and dehydrate them as is in the dehydrator? I think liver is quite cheap.

Post subject: Re: need tasty home made dog treats recipe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:54 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

A couple of easy ideas - you can buy rollers pre-filled with liquid treats, they're 3.99 for 500 licks on amazon and are called lickety stiks. You may be able to make your own with watered down pb and a roller-ball container. Licks straight from the pb jar could work too, but might be tough if you're out and about with her.

Can you just cut down her dinner and use kibbles as treats or are they not motivating enough? That's what we do now, after I got sick of spending $30/week on the fancy dog treats that (of course) were the only ones that didn't make my guy sick.

Or, you can definitely boil liver (it's so gross and I felt awful doing it, but my vet put my dog on an elimination diet that didn't leave a lot of choice of treats/foods - he was down to rice/chicken/basic veg for 3 weeks to let his stomach rest after his colitis started acting up) and it keeps cut in tiny bits in the fridge for at least 4-5 days. I would be wary of dehydrating since that won't kill any bacteria and will totally make your dehydrator smell nasty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

ive got a pdf full of them! pm me your email address. It's called It's a Vegan Dog's Life, from an old vegan dog blog I used to read

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My pup LOVED ameyfm's doggie treats. Maybe she can share her recipe :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Does your dog like vegan hot dogs? That's what I use for a higher value treat for my dog. I keep a bunch in the freezer and then thaw out and microwave for 20-30 seconds and cut into tiny pieces. I just get the cheapest kind. They stink like artificial smoke (which a lot of the cheap soft meaty treats do) and my dog loves them. I's good for me, because I don't have to get grossed out by using meat. I know some people who dehydrate liver in their ovens, but they say it stinks up the entire house really badly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Peanut butter mixed in with crushed up kibble and rolled into little balls? I'm making that up as I go, but I'll bet it would would work, especially if your doggie likes PB as much as mine does.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Vegan hot dogs is a genius tip. My dog begs for tofu and fake meat all the time, and every dog I've ever had has loved hot dogs.

You can also slice them up and bake til they're dried out a bit to make them easier to handle and longer lasting (my parents did it with meat hot dogs for our dogs when I was a kid).