| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shelters: Kill vs. No Kill
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We have two shelters in town - one is a (high) kill shelter and one is a no-kill shelter. I'm thinking of getting another animal friend, and I'm kinda torn on which place to consider. I immediately want to go to the no-kill shelter, to make sure they continue to get the support they need to stay in business. But then I think that if I got one from the kill shelter, I could be potentially saving a life.

This won't be happening in the very near future, so I've got time to think it through, but I'm curious what you guys think on this also. Help me, PPK!

Post subject: Re: Shelters: Kill vs. No Kill
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does the no kill shelter pull from the local kill shelter? If they do you are saving a life either way because the animal you adopt will free up space for another animal from the kill shelter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh, good question - I'll have to find out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Adopt from the kill shelter and make a donation to the no-kill shelter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I meant free up space for another animal *at* the shelter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I personally would try to adopt from the kill shelter first. I know these shelters and their kill rates are horrible. The no kill has a ton of local support and advertises their animals well, so their odds are pretty good. There are also a few smaller groups locally, like the Animal Rescue Center or Paws that you might be interested in looking into.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I would just look at the animals individually because it really is a case of being unable to be "wrong" since both choices are good choices. And like someone else said, most of the time they pull dogs from no kills to be at the no kill, so either way saves a life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Adopt from the kill shelter and make a donation to the no-kill shelter?

I like this.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:29 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Fee wrote:
I would just look at the animals individually because it really is a case of being unable to be "wrong" since both choices are good choices. And like someone else said, most of the time they pull dogs from no kills to be at the no kill, so either way saves a life.

This. Either way you are giving an animal a home, but letting yourself choose from both opens up your adoption pool and allows you to find the best pet for your situation. Going to only one may cause you to choose a less than ideal (for you) animal whom you would have to put back in the adoption pool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't want to say don't adopt from the pound, but most rescues and no kill shelters put time and money into treating medical problems and behavioral problems before adopting animals out. So many of the animals we pull from the shelter in NYC are sick and/or have behavioral problems. Most municipal pounds do not have the money to treat anything but the basics and the animals often aren't there long enough to be treated fully . It of course depends on the pound - NYC has a low per person expenditure on the shelter compared to many other places.

Like I said, it doesn't mean that you definitely shouldn't adopt from the kill shelter, but it is something else to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I agree with the op's - either shelter is a good option, it's more important to choose a pet that will best fit your lifestyle. Visit both and talk to volunteers/employees. See what kind of behavorial/health screening each does and what if any follow up they have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
Fee wrote:

This. Either way you are giving an animal a home, but letting yourself choose from both opens up your adoption pool and allows you to find the best pet for your situation. Going to only one may cause you to choose a less than ideal (for you) animal whom you would have to put back in the adoption pool.

i'm with you all. i also wanted to point out that sometimes the no-kill shelters hold onto animals for a looooong time, because obviously, they're no kill. when i worked for the richmond spca we had some dogs and cats in there for many, many years - they were hard to get adopted out and i think it was not so awesome they were stuck in the shelter for multiple years. at the time, their foster program wasn't the best so there weren't too many options besides just hoping someone would adopt the ones that had been there forever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sorry, double post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:08 am 
Semen Strong

Would you be willing to foster for the No Kill, to get to know the animal and hopefully become a "foster failure" and adopt your friend permanently (:D)?

Its also worth looking at who will adopt to you. Our local kill shelter wouldn't adopt a cat out to us because we have a dog and they would "temperament test" the cats by taking an unknown dog into the cat room and seeing if the cats hissed (which of course they all did). We ended up fostering for our friends at Pets for Life and then fell in love with a foster who was a perfect match for our kittyfriend and got along gangbusters with our dog. It was a great situation, because we helped a few foster kitties along the way but really got to see who was going to be the "right" fit with our home.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am 
WELFARIST!

happyfaced wrote:
Moon wrote:
Fee wrote:

i'm with you all. i also wanted to point out that sometimes the no-kill shelters hold onto animals for a looooong time, because obviously, they're no kill. when i worked for the richmond spca we had some dogs and cats in there for many, many years - they were hard to get adopted out and i think it was not so awesome they were stuck in the shelter for multiple years. at the time, their foster program wasn't the best so there weren't too many options besides just hoping someone would adopt the ones that had been there forever.

This is a good point. When I adopted Rowdy, it was because I just found him on Petfinder, because I couldn't decide whether to adopt from kill or no-kill. He ended up being in a no-kill shelter, but had been there for 4 years and they never thought anyone would take him. I also would like to advocate for adopting an older animal. As everyone knows, they're less likely to be adopted, but are often super awesome additions to the family.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

And special needs ones too! Some special needs kitties require a lot of extra vet care so you might not want to take on the financial burden but others are blind or have one eye, and they need homes too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im not sure if this is accurate but i think most kill shelters are that way because they are forced to be taht way by the pet population and finances (someone feel free to tell me im wrong)

so adopting from a kill shelter doesnt necessarily mean you are supporting pet euthanasia. there are kill shelters because people suck and breed indiscriminantly.

either way you go you are saving a life and that makes you awesome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:
I don't want to say don't adopt from the pound, but most rescues and no kill shelters put time and money into treating medical problems and behavioral problems before adopting animals out. So many of the animals we pull from the shelter in NYC are sick and/or have behavioral problems. Most municipal pounds do not have the money to treat anything but the basics and the animals often aren't there long enough to be treated fully . It of course depends on the pound - NYC has a low per person expenditure on the shelter compared to many other places.

Like I said, it doesn't mean that you definitely shouldn't adopt from the kill shelter, but it is something else to consider.

Right! And the more animals they adopt out, the more they can save from the kill shelter and give medical attention to.

Overall though I'd look at both, you don't know who you'll fall in love with. Just make sure to budget for the vet if you go with the kill shelter!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My vote is to find the right pet for you, regardless of where it comes from. In many places, the overpopulation problem is so bad that even healthy, young animals with no/little behavioral problems have a hard time finding a home, so don't feel bad if the animal you fall in love with isn't one with a low adoption chance - although of course you should consider these animals too.

In the volunteering I have done I've had to deal with a lot of rehoming, unfortunately, so I guess I am particularly sensitive to the importance of finding the pet that is right for you, not just now but for the next 15-20 years, and making that a top priority.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Another option would be foster to adopt. I'm not sure if you already have another animal living with you but that can give you a better idea of how the new one would fit in. I don't know if the kill shelter where you are has a foster program - many don't but most rescues do (the one I'm with has no physical building - all our animals are in foster homes). And most rescues really need fosters!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'd love to foster, but I have two cats already, and one is quite skittish. I don't think it's an option with his personality. I've decided that I'm going to wait a bit before adopting another animal. I have a lot going on, so I wouldn't have the time right now to make sure everyone adapts well. I'm hoping to start volunteering with the humane society soon, so I'm sure my resolve to wait will be weakened once I'm around all the cute little faces on a regular basis. :)