| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We adopted a friend for Milton - meet Louie!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We decided that Milton needed a friend to play with, but we were waiting until I got back from the states. We found this little guy through our local shelter and adopted him today. These are photos from the shelter website, because I can't get him to stay still! Meet Louie.

Going to meet this guy today. He might be Milton's new friend. by pickledtreats, on Flickr

We definitely just adopted this little guy. Meet Louie, our new kitten. by pickledtreats, on Flickr

Louie is the same age as Milton when Milton was adopted, but Louie seems way, way smaller than Milton was! Louie is also pretty scrawny and his hair is really rough, thin and wire-like. The complete opposite of Milton when he was a kitten, but still super cute.

Louie is super playful and social and he can't stand being cooped up in another room. Milton is a little more shy than I thought he would be, though. We're giving Milton tons of attention and letting him be the judge of when he's ready for Louie to join us in the "big house," but it's hard to wait!

Louie was really feisty and bossy when he met Milton briefly today. Lots of hissing and tough guy posturing, so it's best to let them slowly get used to each other. I think Louie has little man syndrome. At his foster house he was around two huge cats and a big dog, so he's used to getting pushed around, but according to his foster parents he loved it. Hoping he and Milton come around to each other!

Post subject: Re: We adopted a friend for Milton - meet Louie!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:59 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I love his little beard!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:27 pm 
Chip Strong

OMG. He's adorable. I love his tuxedo. I can't wait to see pictures of them together, once they've become friends!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hi Louie! You are darling!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Darn cute, he is!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know it's only day one, but I hate how stressed they are! Milton and Louie are growling at each other between the door. Milton seems a little nervous. And the few times Louie has seen Milton, Louie goes all crazy cat and starts hissing and yelling.

Milton is the sweetest most awesome cat, so I feel bad stressing him out, but I know he needs another cat around. Is all of this normal?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think it is normal ... years ago when we had a cat & used to take my sister's cat when they went on holiday the two cats kept to their own areas of the house, hissing & spitting when they encountered one another by oops ... but this same cat of my sister made peace with the cat next door who used to follow the neighbour in when she came round to have coffee ... do not fret ... they will make peace ... Louie has just had his entire life change ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:35 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think it's totally normal. Can you get a Feliway plug-in? That can help the process a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Are you creating positive associations with them interacting? I know I sound like a broken record on these boards, but I really think the book Cat vs. Cat is so good for stepped, supported introductions. I care about this a lot, because I once tried to adopt a second cat for my cat without researching this adequately, I did NOT use these techniques, the cat's personality was not as described, my cat was miserable, and I returned the new cat to the rescue. This is something I really regret and hate that I did. (Luckily, no thanks to me, the cat is now in a fantastic home.) After I completely screwed this up, I researched what I should have done, and that is when I found out about Cat vs. Cat and Pam Johnson-Bennett's website. From what I have read, it may not be as good an idea to just hope they will eventually get used to each other. One of the things Pam Johnson-Bennett suggests for positive association is to feed the cats on opposite sides of the same door/wall. I think that could help with the aggression. Also exchanging items bearing the other's scent in between spaces. And supervised, short interactions. andandand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I gave them both treats on the opposite side of the door. There was some hissing, but they both ate the treats and got very close to each other (with the door in between). Louie was in his carrier and I gave Milton some treats near it and Milton got close enough to eat them and he stayed for a few seconds looking at Louie before walking away. I have taken Louie out once or twice just to let him see/sniff other parts of the house, but it's clear Milton can smell everywhere Louie has been. Milton is being kind of standoffish to me and is opting to spend time with Thomas. I get it! Both of their lives have been changed and Louie is ALL kitten (crazy, noisy, wants to play and run).

I'm going to feed them tonight on opposite sides of the door and see how that goes.

On another note, Louie is so damn cute and brave. He ran out of the room where we keep him and hauled asparagus down the stairs. I didn't even think he was big enough to tackle the stairs. when I caught him he yelled at me and slapped me in the face (no nails, thankfully). He's stubborn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:24 am 

I would hold off on letting Louie wander and letting them interact with one in the carrier for a while. That's more like second week stuff. Feeding them on opposite sides of the door is good though!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:29 am 

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/ca ... w_cat.html

This is a good run-down. It really is best to avoid them seeing each other for at least a week. I rushed things between Agnes and Effie at first and their fighting got kind of scary, then I separated them again for an entire week and got Feliway plug-ins and it really helped. After Effie died and I brought home Olive I didn't have to wait a full week, but Agnes knew the routine by then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

strawberryrock wrote:
I would hold off on letting Louie wander and letting them interact with one in the carrier for a while. That's more like second week stuff. Feeding them on opposite sides of the door is good though!

Louie wandered while Milton was downstairs with Thomas - they didn't see each other - but they have seen each other a bit while Louie is in the carrier, so I will stop that and keep Louie in the room.

Wonder if I can get those plug-ins in the Netherlands. Where should I put them?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:06 am 

pickledtreats wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Louie wandered while Milton was downstairs with Thomas - they didn't see each other - but they have seen each other a bit while Louie is in the carrier, so I will stop that and keep Louie in the room.

Wonder if I can get those plug-ins in the Netherlands. Where should I put them?

I bought them on Amazon, maybe that's a possibility if they're not available locally? I put mine in my living room where Agnes was hanging out when Effie was in my bedroom, and left it there when Effie was allowed to roam freely again because that's where they ended up interacting the most.

Mostly just don't stress, it takes time. I remember freaking out and crying because I felt like I had ruined Agnes's life by adopting Effie and they were seriously best friends a few weeks later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Dudes. This cat is wacky! He loves this feather toy on a stick and Thomas was playing with it, but then Louie caught it in his mouth and proceeded to growl and hiss with it in his mouth. I'm assuming this is normal predator/prey behavior, but I've never seen it before! We tried to take it from him, but he just kept clenching his teeth and growling when we pulled it. Did I accidentally adopt a dog?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 am 

Hehe, the idea of that cute little bearded kitten growling at a feather is making me giggle like a schoolgirl.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ha, a cat that plays tug-o-war? Hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes! He keeps the feather/bundle of yarn thing in his mouth while growling and trying to hide it. Thing is...it's on a string tied to a stick. We tried tugging back and he hissed with it in his mouth. Pretty awesome.

I found one of the Feliway plug-ins at a pet store here (yuck) and I put it in the living room. Is it me or do these things smell like shiitake? It's like some weird hippy sandalwood incense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

I had a Feliway and found it didn't smell at all.

I find I'm pretty stressed for the first month when integrating kitties. It takes time! They may never be friends so long as they can cohabitate peacefully in the final analysis I consider it a triumph. I second the positive associations suggestion. Giving them treats, lots of vocal praise in a loving voice when they're behaving calmly and peacefully while being together (with more treats!) playing with them together/side by side (not necessarily integrated play though). Give them breaks from each other when they need it or one is bothering the other or being overly aggressive.

Louie is adorbs!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Here are some more pics! I've had a hard time snapping photos of him because he just likes to wiggle and run around, but here are a few:

Cautiously optimistic. #kitten #louie #milton by pickledtreats, on Flickr

He's a trained scratcher and biter, ready to go at a moment's notice. #louie by pickledtreats, on Flickr

So basically we're at a point where Louie can be out playing with Milton if we are around, but Milton still goes into his own room at feeding time and at night and while we're at work. Sometimes he also gets a little too crazy and we've figured out that when he's jumping around and scratching crazily, if we put him in his room he usually falls right asleep like an overstimulated child. During those times we also open the balcony so Milton can have some grown up time outside.

For the first time since he got here, Louie snuggled up to me on the couch and took a nap while I worked on the mofo blogroll. It was great! But for the most part he is on 24/7 when he's out of his room.

He and Milton are getting along okay. There is no hissing or growling or spitting. That happened maybe once or twice in the first week, but I followed your advice and let them play between the doors for a while, eating their food and getting used to each other's smells. I also have a Feliway plug-in in the living room.

I've been trying to monitor their play sessions. Milton and Louie seem to like to wrestle and chase each other. I suppose it *looks* a bit like fighting, but no one is hissing or crying, tails are loose, ears aren't really pinned back. They take turns tackling each other and chasing each other, so I guess this is okay?

Every once in a while Louie will let out a cry and Milton will let him go, but as soon as he is free, Louie jumps right back into playing.

I've googled cat fighting vs. playing to try and make sure I'm not letting anything go on that is upsetting. However, for the most part everyone seems really happy. Milton likes chasing Louie around and wrestling with him. Milton even cries at the door so Louie will be let out.

There haven't been any snuggle or cleaning sessions yet, though. Just chasing and playing, but I'm hoping we get there!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:38 pm 

ZOMG so cute!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 am 

More pics please!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Louie is so cute ... he is looking at Milton ... 'why you just sittin' there? I want to play!' ... Milton is thinking, 'Enough already, we wrestled, tangled and chased all morning ... I need my rest!' ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 pm 
Chip Strong

I too would like more Milton and Louie photos, please.