| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My cat won't shut up.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've had Desi for about 4 years, and I got him as a rescue. I'm certain that he was an outside cat before I got him, but after losing a cat a while back, my feline friends aren't allowed to roam freely. Until a few months ago, I've only lived in apartments on the 2nd floor or higher with a balcony, and he loved to be out there any time I'd let him. Since he couldn't go anywhere, I had no problem just letting him out. Now, I'm in a townhouse with a fenced in backyard, so I don't have a fully enclosed space for him. I've been taking him outside for very short periods of time (15-ish minutes) so he can get some fresh air and munch on a little grass, but I'm only doing this once or twice a day max.

He loves to be outside more than just about anything, and he'd gladly spend all day out there if I'd let him (which I won't). Since I'm not freely taking him out, he is CONSTANTLY meowing for me to let him out. He'll go for 10 minutes at a time, rest for a bit, and start back up. This is driving me absolutely nuts - it could legit be used as a form of torture.

What on earth do I do to make this stop??

Post subject: Re: My cat won't shut up.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 pm 
WRETCHED

My suggestion would be a firm No and spraying water near the cat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Chip Strong

We had a similar problem with our kitty, we would distract her with play and or a cuddle, and eventually she learned outside wasn't going to happen anymore. She still asks on occasion but just approaches the door makes her cute candy cane tail and looks at us imploringly, and we give her a cuddle and she moves on. We never punished her for it, and she eventually stopped being so frantic about it. Distracting her with something else she likes was key though. And she would howl as much as your Desi.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 am 
WRETCHED

Jeans idea sounds more loving but one of my cats is pretty insistent. My husband has started taking her on our back deck in the mornings and she sits there and meows for him in the morning. Mornings are fine but other times not so much. We haven't used a spray bottle in a couple years but she knows a firm NO and that it has been associated with a spray bottle in the past so she moves on. We will also pick her up, cuddle and move her away from the door as well but sometimes she keeps going back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If you want to transition him to a completely indoor kitty, I wouldn't even take him out on a lead, because if you do then he'll get the idea that his badgering you will eventually lead to you giving in which will just reinforce the behavior.

This is a good link with tips for transitioning an outdoor kitty to an indoor life.

Good luck!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have a mostly indoor cat that I let out on a leash once a day. I used to just take him out whenever which led to the constant meowing you are describing. Now I let him out at the same time every day and he has learned the routine. He will still meow to go out once in a while but it is much improved. It took weeks before I saw any improvement and probably a few months before he really quit. In the meantime distraction and extra play time to wear him should help.

If he'll tolerate a leash and harness you may be able to tie him out for longer periods. Or since he's used to an enclosed balcony - maybe he'd like one of those outdoor cat enclosures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The day I posted this, he had been going for quite some time, and I eventually shut him in a room upstairs for about an hour (with access to water, of course). Since then, he's chilled out quite a bit. We'll see how long it lasts! I really appreciate all of your suggestions. Responses to a few:

-I wish the spray bottle thing worked with him, but he'll doesn't care at all - he'd probably let me empty a bottle without ever reacting. My other cat hates the water, and it works like a charm on him, but not Desi.

-I'm pretty sure getting him into a harness would cause large amounts of blood loss for me. :)

-I don't want to keep him inside all the time. Mainly because he just loves being outside so much, and I want him to have a happy life. Also because body-blocking him every time I go out to the laundry room would get old really quickly.

-I really want to get one of those cat fence things - the wire mesh that goes at the top of a fence so they can't climb over. That's on the long-term plan, but it's just not going to be in the budget for a while. Once that's up, I'll have no problem letting him be outside as long as he wants.

-I really like jean's suggestion to just distract him with cuddles and play time. I'll definitely try that the next time he's getting on my nerves. Kitty cuddles should help both of us!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh we had a kitty walk, not only did my outdoor wannabe kitty hate it but squirrels chewed through it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:39 am 
Chip Strong

I have a cat who won't shut up either and I have a lot of guilt over the frustration I feel over it.
I adopted Big Kitty when he was 13 and have had him for about 4 years. I don't think he ever went outside before so I don't think that is his issue. They warned me he was a talker but what this cat does goes so far beyond talking. He bisques and moans non stop, almost howling at me. Constantly. He has been to the vets many times so I don't think it's a medical issue he is trying to communicate to me. He just won't shut up. I love him dearly but damn he is annoying!