| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Think good thoughts for Carlito please?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

awww! what a cutie. good thoughts for carlito!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

poor honey.
i wouldn't worry so much about Leela and how to present it, just try to focus on positive- yes, Carlito got hurt, we took him to the doctor because we want him to feel better, everyone is working together to give him his medication and the things he needs to get better- I think it's important that kids see parents being concerned, active, positive. Bad things are going to happen, but it's a good teaching moment and very comforting to hear and see "we take care of our family members". Not a big deal about what happened to avoid any fear etc about the dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Torque's reply deserves an A+

I'm so happy his wounds have turned out to be not terribly threatening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:09 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts and advice!

Its interesting, because the wounds aren't terribly threatening because we were able to take him to a vet and have them cleaned and treated. I was so surprised by how fast they got infected though, and how out of it he has been. I can only imagine that if he were a feral cat he'd be likely to die from the infection or just vulnerable to other things.

Here are some graphic pictures of his injuries under the spoiler tags. I am always curious about this sort of thing and maybe others are too. Most of it just looks like scrapes, but if you're squeamish, definitely don't open it.
My poor baby!
Spoiler: show
Puncture wounds and scrapes on his back. There are about 4 deep punctures on his back, and the rest are scrapes from where the dogs teeth just grazed him:Image
Puncture wounds and scrapes on his belly. There are two deep punctures on his belly and scrapes on the rest of it.

Any ideas for good food and treats to help him keep hydrated and healing?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Poor bubbelah!!
Punctures are scary. My whippet was picking fights with the puppy and the puppy snapped at her, got her one puncture in the neck. it got so infected so quickly that when the vet cleaned it out she had to snip it open and it ended up looking like one of those neglect wounds where people leave a collar on-- a good third of her neck was open wound. it was horrific. luckily we got some kind of internal-cream antibiotic from the human pharmacy that is meant for gynecological healing and kept her well slathered and it healed fast. hope carlito feels better soon.
as for hydrating cats, i have no idea whatsoever. hope you and he and leela are all feeling a bit better, just saw your FB and holy cow what a few days you're having. hope that run of luck is over.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Poor bubbelah!!
Punctures are scary. My whippet was picking fights with the puppy and the puppy snapped at her, got her one puncture in the neck. it got so infected so quickly that when the vet cleaned it out she had to snip it open and it ended up looking like one of those neglect wounds where people leave a collar on-- a good third of her neck was open wound. it was horrific. luckily we got some kind of internal-cream antibiotic from the human pharmacy that is meant for gynecological healing and kept her well slathered and it healed fast. hope carlito feels better soon.
as for hydrating cats, i have no idea whatsoever. hope you and he and leela are all feeling a bit better, just saw your FB and holy cow what a few days you're having. hope that run of luck is over.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:37 am 
Nailed to the V

good thoughts for a sturdy recovery for Carlito ... a most handsome cat ...

Anne in England where it is said that people like their pets more than they like their family (understandable in many circumstances)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 am 
Semen Strong

And now Veto is flipping out at Carlito and hissing at him and keeping him from the litter box. I've read of that happening to others on the board when their kitties come back smelling different from the vet. Any ideas on how to handle it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:39 am 
protein lump

poop bub! can you set up a small separate box for carlito?

i'm wondering if adding a bit of coconut water to some regular water would help him drink? that and wet food, if he likes it/usually doesn't get it. oh also, this smells terrible, but when bill needed hydration, the vet recommended adding tuna water (like, what you would drain out of a can of tuna) to his water.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:39 am 
WRETCHED

I'm so sorry to hear about Carlito, I hope he heals quickly. Can you separate the 2?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

One of my cats gets really upset when the other cat smells like the vet. She'll hiss and swat at him pretty badly. It lasts a couple of days and then all is well again. If I have to leave them alone for any time while that's going on, I put the cat that smells like the vet in a bedroom alone. I try to leave the upset cat alone since I don't want to make it worse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47 am 
Semen Strong

Oh that is good advice. We set up a separate area for the upset cat in his favorite spot with food, water and a litterbox. Carlito is still so weak - he can't jump any of the babygates we have up to keep our kid and the dog out of the catfood, so setting him up in another bedroom is a great idea.

Carlito is normally the alpha cat, but he looks so small and weak right now, so having a 25lb Veto sit on top of him and toss him around is just so sad. He can't even really move fast enough to get away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oof, poor guy. I am glad he is on the mend, though. What a rough go of it!

When I had two cats if one went to the vet and the other didn't, the one who didn't would freak out for two or three days and then be fine, so yeah, separate bedrooms for kitties is a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:15 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

wow.

Good thoughts for Carlito, I hope he recovers quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Wow, those punctures look nasty! I hope he is feeling better, and that he isn't embarrassed by his haircut. If he is, perhaps some cat overalls are in order?

(I'm kidding, Carlito! Get well soon!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

Poor Carlito, poor kitty. I hope he heals quickly.

*off to give my own kitties extra cuddles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, he still hasn't drunk or eaten anything, or used the litterbox, and he is very withdrawn - basically hiding under the bed. We've offered a variety of stinky non-vegan treats, but nothing is appealing to him. We are going to keep giving abx and pain meds and washing his wounds, but he still has that infection smell and I am worried. The vet says if he doesn't eat tomorrow, we are going to have to bring him back in. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Also, our neighbors have always joked about the number of raccoons, cats etc their dogs attack and hurt or kill, and seeing what Carlito is going through, I feel really horrible for those animals. They must suffer a lot, and that should matter, even if they aren't someone's companion animal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow, they were definitely planning on killing him. Those are not easy wounds to look at. I really hope he starts feeling more himself soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:37 am 
ugh

Poor Carlito! I hope he gets better soon.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:39 am 
WELFARIST!

Awww...I can't bear to look at his wounds but I'm definitely hoping for the best! How scary! I hope he recovers nicely. Sounds like he's shaken and spooked. As for Veto bullying him post-vet, yes I find it wears off between my cats when it used to happen within several hours after returning home but this seems like a longer convalescence for poor Carlito so maybe set up a separate litter box so he can have an option two if Veto is guarding his usual poop place and intimidating him? I would also maybe separate them for the time being, if possible. It sounds like Carlito is separating himself by hiding under the bed, anyhoo. I would also deter Veto from bullying behavior when you see it, though I'm not sure that's what cat behaviourlists recommend, it's what I'd do just because I can't stand it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Its been a week and a day since Carlito was attacked and a week since he came home from the vet, and he is healing nicely, albeit slowly, so I thought I'd post an update. He didn't eat for the first three days, but now is back to using the litter box, eating and moving around slowly. He still can't jump up on things - not even the couch - but he can go up and down stairs. For the most part though, he sleeps all day (which probably isn't that surprising because he is a cat).

The vet said it would take at least 2 weeks for him to be back to his normal self, and suggested keeping him separate from Veto for that time. He is still on abx for another few days, but we no longer give him pain meds or have to wash him.

His wounds are healing up nicely, but are still not very pretty. Photos are under the spoiler tag.
Spoiler: show

Thank you so much to everyone for the good wishes - we were really worried for a while!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thank you for the update Tofulish, I'm pleased to learn Carlito is on the mend. Poor little guy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Aw poor Carlito! It looks like he's healing really well though so here's hoping he's feeling all better soon!

I don't get why people joke about their dogs hurting other animals. My parents were always so compassionate and careful to protect critters who found their way into our yard. I can't imagine acting otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better! <3 Smoochles and healing huggies for little Carlito from me!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i too am happy to hear he's improving - looks like he's healing up nicely and i hope he continues to do so! <3