| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running with dogs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

(Not sure if the Spa or the Yard was most appropriate for this).

What is everyone's experience with running with dogs?

We got a complaint recently about Orion boredom-barking during the day, and figured he could use more exercise / exhaustion. As I just started Couch to 5k, I've been taking him to run with me in the morning. Problem is, this lazy mustard will not run. He is happy for about 7-10 minutes, then drags his feet, then tries to forcibly turn me around to go home. He is a 4 year old mix of Australian Shepherd or Sheltie, is healthy, not overweight, and before I started running, he got 3 walks a day + hikes on weekends. Can you build up your dog's stamina somehow? Anyone else has lazy dogs?

Post subject: Re: Running with dogs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Haha, Signe is a border collie/English shepherd mix and half the time after five minutes of running she will randomly just stop and lay down in the grass and refuse to go anymore. You'd think she'd love a long run too, but nope.

If Orion is motivated by balls or the dog park or something maybe you try making it a destination run where you run to the park, throw a ball and run/walk back. He might figure out that running leads to fun stuff and be more willing to actually run? Or run with a treat pouch and reinforce for keeping up with you? Another thought is that Signe hates running on pavement so we would always go on a trail/ or run next to the sidewalk or grassy median.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Ooh, I am definitely going to follow this thread! I have an 8-month-old lab/(probably) border collie mix and the vet said I can't start taking her running until she's a year old. It had never occurred to me that she might not like it. She's super high energy. So, I don't have any advice but good luck aelle!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ooh, it never occured to me that he might not like the medium we are running on. He usually likes paved roads (he refuses to poop on grass), but he is a bit of a weirdo and he may just dislike running on them, specifically.
The treat pouch is a solid suggestion - if there is one thing I know about this dog, it's that he is food motivated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I used to run a bit with Rowdy, who at the time was an 8 year old border collie. He would get tired after about a mile and then poop out on me, but that was ok because I could only run about a mile then as well. I've run with T's Mike, who is a ginormous german shepherd and it's pretty hilarious because my running speed is just his barely trotting speed. His legs are so long! Anyway, he's cool with running with me, and would go longer if I could, so I have no advice on convincing dogs that running is fun/upping their stamina.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I can only run home with my dog. If we're heading away from home, he stops every 5 seconds to sniff things, pee, etc, but, as soon as we are heading toward breakfast, he'll maintain a pace that's about as fast as I can run (only stopping very occasionally to try to trip me).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my gosh! I responded to this yesterday and i guess my post got lost.
http://www.poochto5k.com/ should have lots of resources for you.

i used to run with the whippet but as she got older she started to dislike running and eventually i had to leave her at home- i never knew when she was going to love it or hate it.
Nacho was really lazy at first but we started running with the Couch to 5K, with intervals. Lots of happy, energetic, squeaky voice, etc.
i think mandycoot's idea of ball afterward is a good thing.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]