| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when it rains it pours....2 sick piggies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i have 3 female guinea pigs. 2 of them are considered seniors.
the 2 seniors ive had forever. they are actually my 2nd and 3rd guinea pigs i ever owned. ive had other pigs come and go in their life span but they've always stuck around.

one of them has been steadily losing weight over the last couple months. weight loss is a big red flag for guinea pig health. she's normally around 2 lbs 3 oz and as of yesterday she was 1 lbs 15 oz. she's acting totally normal and as feisty as ever. she eats, drinks, pees, poops fine. so it could be nothing. just maybe some old age weight loss or it could be something serious. it could be her teeth. someone said it could be kidney failure.
so i made her a vet appt for thursday.

then this morning i went into the piggie room to find my other senior sow limping and hopping around. shes been doing it all day and it's pretty pronounced. i picked her up and moved her leg around and it doesnt seem to be broken. so again it could be nothing, maybe she pulled a muscle, she DOES like to climb into the hay rack like a dumb dumb. or it could be arthritis or i dunno her body could just be failing. :-/

i dont know what to do. im thinking of bringing the limpy pig to the vet instead of the other one.
we only have one income and a new baby right now so 2 big vet bills would not be great.

the other thing that sucks is im not even sure what the vet would say to do with them if we did find an issue.

*sigh* im sad

Post subject: Re: when it rains it pours....2 sick piggies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm sorry, LP. That's a tough situation. Can you bring them both in at the same time just to get the leg checked out?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, poor piggies. I hope it's nothing serious! Here's hoping that limpy pig will be better by Thursday and you won't have to worry about her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If limpy piggy's leg is not swollen or obviously at a weird angle, I would take the one who is losing weight. But see what happens tomorrow, things may change on the leg front making it an obvious problem.

Hugs to you and the pig-girls. I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Lumpy pig is still limping today and also hopping. If she's still doing it tomorrow morning I'm going to take her instead and ill ask them about the other one. I know they won't let me bring both at the same time unless I had 2 back to back appts and its too late for that

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm 
Impressive boner

How old are both girls?

Is limpy pig sort of hopping like a frog, with her front legs working normally? If so I guess it could possibly be arthritis. A daily dose of a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug can help, and a soak in a warm bath can also help to ease up the creaky little hip joints.

Weight loss can be indicative of so many things in peegs, and it's normal for them to lose a little weight at this time of year as their coats thicken for winter.

We recently lost Vladimir to kidney failure but he didn't appear to lose weight. Spike has just recovered from a kidney infection but again, weight loss wasn't pronounced. Is she chunky or has she gone bony with a pot belly, like people often do in old age?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

limpy pig is probably 6.5 and i noticed today she also has a tiny bit of blood in her urine. she either limps favoring her back left leg or hops her back legs (ie the front legs are fine) i am suspicious like you said that it's arthritis which will be an easy "fix"

one of my past senior pigs was on metacam daily and i would give her butt soaks so i can certainly do it again. although i didnt have a 4 month old (human) baby then......

the blood in the urine plus the limping worries me. she has also been shedding alot lately.
ugh.
my gut is telling me she's nearing the end of her life span :-/

weight loss pig is 5.5 and other than the weight loss is totally fine and not acting any different. when i pick her up she feels lighter but not bony. i dont know the proper word for it but she feels like an older pig when they start to droop a bit and lose muscle conditioning. so it could be totally normal aging.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well i just called the vet to switch the pig i was taking in and they told me they had time to see both so yay for that :-)

im used to having to go after work or on the weekend which books up really fast, i have to get used to this being home during the day thing ;-)

so today i get to go to the vet with 2 peegs and a 4 month old baby.
should be a party

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hope both of the piggies are okay!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i survived my outing at the vet.
Penny (weight loss pig) seems totally healthy upon examination. heart/lungs sound good. teeth were excellent. no lumps or bumps, etc. the vet did note she has lost some weight and felt a bit skinny.
she said in order to delve further to see if there was something wrong then we would have to do more diagnostic testing.
there's no way in hell this particular pig would ever sit still for an xray or u/s. she's the feistiest pig ever. we call her Monster Brat. and i didnt want to pay for it. if she was presenting a particular system i might try but she seems totally fine other than a bit of weight loss.
so we are just monitoring her for now.

Pixie, the limpy pig, also seemed good upon examination. the vet said according to their records she has lost weight since her last visit there (a year and a half ago) but said she felt good and seemed a good weight. heart/lungs sounded good. good teeth, etc.
vet said she couldnt feel anything in her bladder (ie a stone) but that her bladder was very small and was most likely completely empty (i had quarantined both of them for a couple hours so they could look at their teeth, they had water available but im guessing they didnt drink much).
they did do an xray and also a u/s on her. they showed me the xray and there was a very slight shadow in what i think was her bladder area. she said it probably wasnt a stone because stones are very apparent on xray and this was like a slight shadow. she said it could be a blood clot or an infection. she didnt think it was a tumor either. i guess it was really hard to get a look at it even with the u/s because her bladder was empty.
the xray also showed arthritis in both her back knees. she said she may have just aggravated the left one and hence the limping.
so right now she is on antibiotics for 2 weeks to see if it helps the bladder thing and we also got a pain med for that and the pain med will also help the arthritis. we go back in two weeks and i have to bring her in early so if she doesnt have a full bladder to do an u/s on they will keep her there until she does then do it.

so i think it's pretty good news all around. Penny seems pretty much fine and Pixie may have an infection that can be treated with meds. the arthritis was nothing crazy and probably typical for a senior animal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh good, I'm glad it was nothing serious. I hope Pixie is feeling better soon!