| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Treating Cat Abscesses
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:53 am 
Semen Strong

Carlito was attacked by two dogs (more here ) and been healing well, except that he has three deep puncture wounds, which are a cause for concern.

The vet told us to watch for hardness around them. And we are noticing a significant lump, which isn't hot or red or painful, he lets us handle his belly without flinching or expressing that he is in pain. We are doing 5 minute soaks in warm water (3x a day) to help relieve the swelling, which is potentially an abscess. The soaks aren't really helping and I am wondering if anyone has experience adding Epsom salts or other things to the soak (or other remedies) to help relieve swelling until we can get him into the vet tomorrow. He has a surgery slot for tomorrow if need be, but I would really like to avoid another large vet bill if I can.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Treating Cat Abscesses
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Poor Carlito, I have been following his saga! His seems to have come a long ways, now, if he can just get over this last hump. Do you have any iodine you can paint on the area? To soothe him. If it wasn't a Sunday I would advise seeing if u could get some gentian violet over-the-counter at a human pharmacy ot something. Apart from that, for things you might already have on hand, if you have some essential oils or grapefruit seed extract or something, he might tolerate that on him, especially some clove oil or thyme oil to kill the nasties. I know a lot of people who doctor their pets with essential oils. Best wishes for dealing with the rest of his recovery, may it be speedy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Epsom salts are great! My mom used to get blood infections every single time she got bitten by a cat (which happens constantly!), until someone recommended epsom salt soaks. It works really well for her (she used to have to go into the hospital and get IV antibiotics every time, but the epsom salt soaks prevent that). We keep some on hand at the animal shelter and have used it for dogs with swellings. Cats are trickier, but if he'll let you hold a wash cloth soaked in epsom solution on him for several minutes, it might be worth a try. I wouldn't use any essential oils, because cats are really sensitive to them, and they can be toxic. I hope he is feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Abscesses almost alway smell, so give him a good deep whiff too. Sometimes scar tissues can be quite large and firm but a deep abscess is always a very real possibility. I agree with Rc, epsom salts can be really helpful. Even better if you can syringes of saline to shoot directly in the wound. Sounds gross but the force followed by a soaking can draw out a lot of infection.

Poor Carlito!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Carlito has been washed 6 times today, poor bugger.

The vet said that with wounds as deep as his Epsom salts would burn, so she gave us Dermachlor (blue liquid) for the soak. They thought the wounds looked good, but that with punctures that deep, it was just impossible to know exactly what you were dealing with. They soaked him 4x and I went in to watch a soaking to get a better idea - I had thought about massaging the hard lump and was told not to.