| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morning Cats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

My cats are going to ruin my life!

In the past couple of weeks, my younger cat, Peckinpaw, has started getting up around 4:30 or 5:00 and basically doing everything he knows to get us up and out of bed. Mostly, this consists of scratching the furniture, scratching the window in our bedroom, and scratching at the springs under our bed. He knows that making that racket will eventually force me out of bed, so for the last couple of weeks, I've been waking up at 5ish just to shut the cat up. It sucks. It is preventing me from going to sleep and waking up at the same time as my partner, which I hate, and is leaving me tired and cranky all day. Nothing new has happened in our lives that brought this on. I can't shut him out of the bedroom, because he will scratch on the door, which is just as bad. I can't shut him in another part of the apartment, because I would be able to hear him scratching and meowing.

I am pretty sure the situation is hopeless, and I'll just have to wait and hope he decides to go back to getting up at 6 or 7 like he used to, but any thoughts or suggestions? I need my sleep!

Post subject: Re: Morning Cats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ugh my cats like to get up around 5:30AM. It's super annoying. If I lock them out of my bedroom, they just sit outside of my door howling all night, so I don't sleep that way either.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Our cat Gershwin is kind of a mustard like this sometimes. The thing that we've found works is always keeping the cats out of the bedroom at night. Gershwin goes through phases where he does scratch at the door, sometimes even for a half an hour at a time, endlessly...but we won't get up and shoo him or anything. He quickly learns that after a few nights of this, nothing is going to get him what he wants (to see us), so he gives up. Then maybe a few months down the road he'll start doing it again, but same thing...don't give him what he wants, no matter how aggravating, and he eventually gives up.
I think for them, even getting up to acknowledge their misbehaviour is a reward. They want your attention! If you vehemently deny them that, they give up.

ETA: I also wear earplugs to block out their crying and playing all night. That helps a lot.

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sounds like my cat. I usually am already awake when he starts it but it's still super annoying. This morning it went like this: walk all over me, step on my husband's hair, paw the bathroom door, rattle the front room blinds, yowl, lather rinse repeat.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

When I first got my cats (who were adult rescues at the time), they did this a lot! I solved it by putting them outside in the garden whenever they did it, and they very quickly stopped. I don't know if you keep your cats indoors only or let them out at all, but it worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes to what paprikapapaya says. Our cat does this periodically and ignoring her seems to be the best remedy. We have a little bed-time ritual where we allow her in the bedroom and we pet her before we go to sleep, but then she has to go out out and is not allowed back in before 6:30 in the morning when we wake up. It takes perseverance though, as she can go on meowing and making havoc for a loooong time and for days in a row. And as always with cats, once they've learned that a new trick works, it is very hard to get them to unlearn it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys! The cats are indoor cats (we live half a block from a very busy freeway), so we can't punt them outside, unfortunately. PPP, I think you're right we just need to ignore. I don't know what to do about them scratching the furniture, though. Peckinpaw knows that's his nuclear option, and I don't want our couch to get ruined...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Can you put a plaid or blanket over the couch so he will scratch that instead? Also, if your cats are yammering for food in the morning, consider getting them an electronic feeder. Our Mindl is on a strict diet since she will gain weight from just a tiny morsel of extra kibble. It makes her very anxious about being fed. She now gets her tiny portions of food four times a day at fixed moments and she has calmed down a lot as a result. Her first portion of the day becomes available automatically at 5 am and she does not wake us anywhere near as often as she used to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I wish food would shut them up! They're free feeders, and I make sure they have plenty of food before going to bed. I tried bribing them into shutting up by getting up and giving them wet food a couple mornings, but it only got them to leave me alone for 5 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Dang cat! Ignoring is probably the way to go, but that is so hard!

My roommate's cat has been really annoying in the mornings all of the sudden. He wants out at 3:30am, then my roommate (his person) lets him in around 5am. He eats a snack and then wants out again. I know that I need to ignore him and he'll give up, but if I ignore him he'll just go bug my other roommate. He's such a jerk! This morning one of my roommates was up and in the bathroom getting ready for work with the door open and instead of asking her to go out he scratched on my door. What the hell cat?! Ask your auntie who is awake, not me. Sheesh.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Bill has gotten really bad about this. She will start walking all over me, meowing and pat/clawing whatever bit of bare skin I have outside of the covers at around 5 or 6am. I generally hide as much of myself under the covers as possible and ignore her. Sometimes that works?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Our cats are so used to our morning routine during the week of waking up at 5am that on the weekends they do the same thing. Pluto will pace the house and get into all types of trouble from about 5am to noon depending on what time we decide to get out of bed. Sunday's are the worst! And ya know what, as soon as we get out of bed finally and give him attention he goes to lay down and takes a nap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I second the earplug suggestion. My boy always complains about how loud the cat is in the morning, but it doesn't bother me because earplugs rock.
This morning Lovey was playing with crinkly plastic bags. And i swear i heard her vomit somewhere, but i can't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

Lovey was getting up way before I wanted to but he hates to be left out of whatever room I'm in and he doesn't howl/bang at the door (much--he gives up after a few minutes, luckily) so just a few mornings of shutting him out of my room when he started getting obnoxious at 6:00 a.m. delivered the message that me no likie and now he's a lamb until 9:00 a.m. which is fine--that's when I want to get up! I think I'm just lucky that he's not too persistent at the door and was willing to compromise when he saw me shutting him out in the morning. It took a couple of weeks of work and shutting him up and ignoring him no matter what he did until he got the message that he wasn't going to see me before nine ayem. I can imagine it would be a tricky problem with cats less willing to compromise though. Good luck!

Also, I'm with paprika and don't give in. In fact, I make a point of waiting until he's NOT scratching at the door (and hasn't for a few minutes) before I open it--even if I'm already awake--because I don't want him to associate clawing at the door (or insert whatever naughty behavior I'm trying to train him out of) with getting what he wants.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Puddy is a little jerk in the morning. She pulls the covers off me, jumps on my chest (ouch), and turns on her motor whilst meowing loudly at my face.

I still think it's kind of endearing...so I've just changed my sleeping habits. I am a slave.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have a similar dog problem! Rhodie gets up at the crack of dawn and whine, jumps on & off the bed/me, bangs around under the bed, and barks. It drives me nuts! When he gets super bad we shut him out in the living room and close off our bedroom. He still whines and scratches the door so I put a box fan in front of the door, which blocks the door scratching, blows air at him to keep him away, and provides white noise to block the whining. We also have to cover the couch or he digs into it and gets it all hairy.

Hope you can figure something out!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

Lovey was making a racket this morning so things aren't 100% resolved at my place in terms of noisy morning playtime for him and I pulled my door shut (didn't even have to close it all the way, just left it ajar) and he got the message and went quiet. Before, he used to come in my room and chatter at me until I got up. He makes this trilling noise which he uses to acknowledge me when I come in a room, etc. but when he's chatting at me like he used to in the morning before I started shutting him out, he trills over and over, like he's having a conversation. It's really cute but not before sunrise! Lovey is tough (was found as a stray when only eight months old on da street) and actually not that affectionate or loving, despite his name (but he lets me cuddle him--for a time before he starts swatting or moves away--never initiates snuggles) and I think he is supersmart for a kitty. I find he learns really quickly! But I do have to demonstrate the odd reminder.

Annabazoo, your kitty is named Lovey, too! <3 <3 <3