| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:26 pm 
Inflexitarian

We've got mice. I ordered 3 humane traps, but only two are here so far. I've seen several darting across the kitchen. It's freaking me out. I'm also hearing them running and squeaking behind my bed, and I'm not entirely sure if they're actually behind the bed or inside the wall. ACKKKKKKKK I hate this! I just want them to go away and live in a field!! I'm scared they're going to get in the food and spread stuff to my kids. I don't know how many mice there are, but there must be quite a few. Any ideas???

Post subject: Re: Mice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The most important thing is to see if you can figure out where they're getting in (foundation vents, crawlspaces, holes of any kind). Block the entry points and pack any gaps or holes with steel wool. Supposedly, they dislike the scent of peppermint. So you can try putting some peppermint oil soaked cotton balls where you think they're hanging out. And then, yeah, just keep trapping them with your humane traps. It can take a looooong time. We had some in our attic once and put several humane traps up there, but they would only ever go in one (not the same one, just one trapped mouse at a time, if that makes sense). It took weeks to trap them all.

Oh, and make sure all your food is in jars or canisters. They can chew through plastic bags and containers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have heard some folks have success with a peanutbutter on a ruler over a garbage can method. Works especially well if you know they're going on top of countertops, shelves, etc. You put peanut butter on the end of the ruler, and then put the non-peanut butter end on the shelf, with the peanut butter end extending out over the garbage can... when the mouse goes for the peanut butter, they'll fall into the garbage can and then you can release them (somewhere far away from the house - like blocks away. My neighbor released a mouse into his alley once and watched the little SOB run straight back all the way across the yard back into his house!!)

Also... put ALL food that's in cardboard or plastic bags into glass or tupperware containers. Make sure that all pet food, bird seed etc is in a tightly lidded container too. The hungrier mice are, the more irresistible the bait in your humane traps smell. (ETA - Pinko already said this. Sorry for the repetition - but it's an important point!)

Oh and when you encounter mouse poo - clean it up with a cleaning solution marked "disinfectant." While it's rare, mouse droppings can carry disease. I guess you're not supposed to vacuum up mouse poo for exactly that reason. Also, how so much poop can come out of such a little critter is beyond me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Oh... and I've seen a couple of news articles that have said that the long, mild fall has created a tremendous mouse problem for a lot of folks. So you're hardly the only one. It sucks but you'll get through it. Good luck!