| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me keep my cool: my neighbors bred their pit bull
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My moron neighbors across the street have decided to do their part to contribute to the Bay Area's pit bull overpopulation by breeding their dog (perhaps with another neighbor's dog, although I can't be sure). The puppies are now here and while they're adorable, I am too distracted by the rage of everything else surrounding their birth to find them cute.

This morning I was awoken by the pitiful sounds of the mama dog yelping and crying. They had chained her up in the driveway while around the corner in front of the house they were showing off the puppies to any and all passers-by ("Christmas is right around the corner!" I heard the guy telling one pedestrian walking by with his son. What a great message, living creatures as throw-away presents!). She could hear her puppies nearby and saw tons of strangers milling about, so, as one might expect, she was losing her damn dog mind.

Finally after half an hour I walked over and, in the midst of the admiring throng, asked the guy if he would either let her be with her puppies or put her inside the house because the noise was driving me nuts (at the very best it's annoying, but obviously for me it's heartbreaking as well). He said "that's just how she do." No, dude, that's not just "how she do," that's how any dog would react and how you would react if I chained you up in proximity of your kid where you knew a stranger was interacting with them but you couldn't see or hear them. Instead I said that I could hear her all throughout my house and it was really loud and he said "I'll let her be with them in a bit."

UGH. I am trying to be diplomatic and keep my cool. These people have been here longer than I and will be here for quite a while. I have no plans of moving, myself. So we've got to keep things civil BUT SHE IS STILL YELPING AND I WANT TO CALL ANIMAL CONTROL EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN/WILL DO.

I am open to suggestions, commiserations, and detailed liberation plots (only half kidding about the last one).

Post subject: Re: Help me keep my cool: my neighbors bred their pit bull
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:50 pm 
Impressive boner

Could you and a friend don your best dark blue jumpsuits and balaclavas, head over there at 2am with some bolt cutters, rescue all the dogs and pups, get an awesome super-vet to neuter them (at the appropriate age for the pups) for free and then foster them until they find perfect forever homes?

Being serious, this sounds horrible and I'd be going spare too. Could animal control really not do anything?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oh man, that would be awesome… they actually bring the dogs in at night I believe, so they do treat them with a modicum of care.

Unfortunately, they're doing nothing illegal beyond perhaps creating a noise nuisance (and the general legal/civic priorities that sentence reveals drives me crazy!). It's not illegal to breed your dog or sell the puppies, and although my city does have an ordinance prohibiting your dog from being tied up for more than three hours at a time, the separation and yelping is never for that long.

I mean, this is awful for all the obvious reasons. But for me it's kind of like twisting the knife- I used to volunteer at my city's animal control shelter and an overwhelming majority of the dogs in the shelter were pit bull type dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I can't really say anything except, I'd be fuming right along with you.

But calling someone and making a noise complaint might, at least, help keep them from letting her screech all the time. Though I'd rather just steal them all.

People, I hate them :(